• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Birder (1 Viewer)

Cobaltviolet

United States
Just saying hello! I recently went on a walking holiday in the Scottish Borders. Enjoyed so many birds. Terrible photos but can anyone tell of this this is a common or red breasted Marganser? I’m very new to this! :)

Attachments

• E732D84D-DE0B-4A11-A425-98C0DD0DAD91.jpeg
    E732D84D-DE0B-4A11-A425-98C0DD0DAD91.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • C8E331FF-8030-4048-874F-7AB6F5B36790.jpeg
    C8E331FF-8030-4048-874F-7AB6F5B36790.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Hi Cobaltviolet and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It looks like a common to me with the clear definition of the rufous neck line, rather that it spreading down onto the breast as in Red-breasted. Common Merganser is called Goosander in the UK by the way. Before I learnt how to tell the difference I called them Mersanders LOL

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Cobaltviolet and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It looks like a common to me with the clear definition of the rufous neck line, rather that it spreading down onto the breast as in Red-breasted. Common Merganser is called Goosander in the UK by the way. Before I learnt how to tell the difference I called them Mersanders LOL

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thanks so much! I live in California so there were birds I don’t hear much about in LA! Can’t wait to do more in my neck of the woods, as well! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back