• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon Powershot A620 camera (1 Viewer)

I actually think it will be less suitable for digiscoping then the A95.
1. Larger LCD (+25%) with less amount of pixels ---> Extra problems in accurate focusing and composition.
2. 2MP more, same sensor size ---> Extra noise in High ISOs (for digiscoping, anything above ISO 100 is already not usable in the A95).
3. Larger Zoom range (up to 140mm) ---> Lens will go out even further then the A95, hitting the eyepice, or just causing vignetting.

On the other end, the 1CM macro looks fantastic and it's a much slimmer camera which is nice, so who knows...

Just few corrections to me previous post.

The A620 is actually the same weight as the A95, so again, no change here.

On the other hand, I didn't mention the usage of DIGIC II -- > Faster focus and better usage of the new 7MP sensor (so maybe same noise levels ?)

In any case, I am looking forward to hear some initial reviews and thoughts on this camera.
My last big concern regarding this Camera is the LCD, if it became worse then the A95, then it might be critical to suitability of the Camera for digiscoping.

A620 will need different adapters than A95...

RedBishop said:
...3. Larger Zoom range (up to 140mm) ---> Lens will go out even further then the A95, hitting the eyepice, or just causing vignetting.

The A95 has a 3X zoom (38-114mm equivalent) lens whereas the A610 and A620 have a 4X zoom lens (35-140mm equivalent). I know that the underwater housing for the A95 does not work with the newer models.

My LensMate 37mm adapter on my A95 screwed right onto my Pentax WX 14 eyepiece for a nice close fit, but I strongly suspect the adopter won't work on the new cameras. I just checked the LensMate webpage (http://www.lensmateonline.com/new.html), and they do not yet have any information about the new Canons.

jimscarff said:
The A95 has a 3X zoom (38-114mm equivalent) lens whereas the A610 and A620 have a 4X zoom lens (35-140mm equivalent). I know that the underwater housing for the A95 does not work with the newer models.

My LensMate 37mm adapter on my A95 screwed right onto my Pentax WX 14 eyepiece for a nice close fit, but I strongly suspect the adopter won't work on the new cameras. I just checked the LensMate webpage (http://www.lensmateonline.com/new.html), and they do not yet have any information about the new Canons.

I had a look at the A620 today. It looks interesting, the camera takes additional lenses for wide and tele - to do this, as the lens mount cannot take the weight, it uses an attachment a tube that fits on the base of the lens mount which is threaded. I understand that the other A.. series did the same. Not sure what thread but maybe something that could be adapted onto a T-Mount. Good if this works as my eyepeice has a T-Mount thread.

Mel

RedBishop said:
1. Larger LCD (+25%) with less amount of pixels ---> Extra problems in accurate focusing and composition.
2. 2MP more, same sensor size ---> Extra noise in High ISOs (for digiscoping, anything above ISO 100 is already not usable in the A95).
3. Larger Zoom range (up to 140mm) ---> Lens will go out even further then the A95, hitting the eyepice, or just causing vignetting.

1) The lower resolution may be a negative for focusing, but I don't see it affecting composition much.
2) If it is using the same sensor as the one in the Olympus C7070, this would probably be a positive, not a negative. The C7070 delivers sharper and higher resolution pictures than my 2/3" 5Mp Coolpix 5000.
3) Most extension tubes make hitting the eyepiece difficult. And vignetting tends to be minimized at longer focal lengths. It remains to be seen whether or not the lens will be conducive to digiscoping, but considering that they offer a 1.75x telephoto, there is reason to hope.

citreola , These posts requires registration, also, my french is not that gret these days. Can you please summarize the bottom line ?

Hi!
I have wondered some time if I would buy a A95 or if I should wait for the A610 or A620. Yesterday I made a "handheld" test with the A620 and my Swift Nighthawk 80 with standard eyepiece. In comparison with the A95, the 620 is bad. I've got a lot of vignetting all the zoom range when I with the A95 can use almost all the zoom range without vignetting problems.
Sony W7 also worked well but there's the fixed display...

Last edited:
RedBishop said:
citreola , These posts requires registration, also, my french is not that gret these days. Can you please summarize the bottom line ?

Hi,

As I'm Dutch speaking,my French and English are not so great, but I'l try to summarize :

message 17565 :Summary : "I tested an A620 on my Swaro ATS HD with 30X. When the zoom is at the minimal side,it's rather good. When zooming however,the zoom rapidly touches the 30x -ocular."
message 17608 :Summary: "Further tests revealed the same findings : the distance of the zoom is too great and there is vignetting."
Please note this test was made with a Swarovski ATS HD telescope and 30x eyepiece.So maybe it works with other telescopes and/or eyepieces.

citreola , Thank you very much for the effort.
The problem of "touching" the eyepiece with the lens is also an Issue with A95, but it was overcome with different types of adapters. Not like the Coolpix series, the PowerShot series requires a different approach for the scope connection.

I don't like the extra zoom range. 3X was perfect on the A95. 4X is useless as you can't get sharp pictures at that very high magnification (4x * 20x = 80x = too much)

Canon's high ISO performance is improving greatly. The A95 is miles better than the Coolpix 4500 was, I expect that this one will be better still.

No proper Compact Flash card! This is a major drawback. All serious cameras use Compact Flash, not half-baked non-standards like SD.

So far, it looks as though the Powershot A95 is still the best digiscoping camera around. (Which is a pity, as I'd buy a new camera to replace my A95 right away if there was a better one available. Reduced shutter delay woiuld be a godsend.)

Non-Issue

Tannin said:
I don't like the extra zoom range. 3X was perfect on the A95. 4X is useless as you can't get sharp pictures at that very high magnification (4x * 20x = 80x = too much)

The extra magnification doesn't necessarily force you to use it, it is possible that you get no vignetting at x3 or less and so this extra reach is a non-issue.

To find this out, What we need is a proper review from a A95 owner....

Even it is a 4x zoom lens, the actual magnification is only X2.8 (140/50) from a "normal" viewing angle (a 50mm lens provides a "nornal" eye viewing angle, and this lens starts from an equivalent of 35mm - a little wide).
I didn't have any problem with the CP4500 in this matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back