• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Contax 4.2mp announced (1 Viewer)

I know Paul and myself are greatly looking forward to the 2inch monitor on the new U4R, the 1.5inch monitor on the 300/400 is of very high quality but a 2 inch would make life a lot easier, espescially when trying ot find the subject!! (fortunately I still have my 2inch extend-a-view)
The difference between 3.3mp and 4mp isn't great but it all helps. The user adjustable focus points will be handy, I'm hoping spot metering will work off of these focus points.

Still, the U4R is an unknown quantity as no-one has one yet.

Don't worry about digiscoping adapters as anything that fits on a coolpix will fit on one of these.

regards,
Andy

Quick update, just been informed that the first U4R cameras will be arriving in the country by the end of the week. Hopefully I will have one next week. The internal battery will be more powerful than on the sl300, 1100mah instead of 780mah, which should help... though it may be that the U4R draws a bit more current in use anyway.

Andy Bright said:
Quick update, just been informed that the first U4R cameras will be arriving in the country by the end of the week. Hopefully I will have one next week. The internal battery will be more powerful than on the sl300, 1100mah instead of 780mah, which should help... though it may be that the U4R draws a bit more current in use anyway.

Lets hope it lasts longer than the Contax/Kyocera batteries I went through 3 in an hour at the Masked Shrike, and only took 10 photos. However this is still my first choice digiscoping camera, I will just have to build a battery pack.

Mark

Ghostly Vision said:
....Sounds a little less sophisticated than the CP4500.

Do we know what the close focus is on the 4UR?

If it's anything like the SL300RT, it will be useless for close work. Many of us do Dragons, Butterflies, Flowers too, and I suspect that those of us who do will not be interested in this camera.

Sean

Sean

to echo andy's point politely, you are missing the plot! what if the macro is only 20cms ? the pros outweigh the cons considerably
Digiscoping is about exploiting something that was not meant to be, and with exploitation comes LIMITATION, this was said about the coolpix 990 when it was in its infancy being used as a camera for digiscoping, but then it became the benchmark, and so forth with the 995 and then the 4500, the Contax cameras have come out, so its natural to assume and compare against the coolpix BUT all these cameras were designed for the domestic market, not our specialized hobby, so we shouldnt be quick to diss something when it comes out. The contax cameras have something over the DSLR cameras and the coolpix range, no buffer ! This in itself IMHO is one of the biggest steps in digiscoping since its early conception, also size, weight, zero lag time, 3.5 frames per second, excellent quality LCD, good quality images etc I have spent some time in Spain this year and using this camera has allowed regular consistant flight shots of eagles vultures etc that with the coolpix was rather hit and miss, so before you are quick to judge what it cant do, spare a thought for what it is really capable of ? See attached digiscoped images ;)

Paul

Attachments

• Kicx7469web600.jpg
    Kicx7469web600.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 210
  • KICX7724web350.jpg
    KICX7724web350.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 154
  • KICX7564web350.jpg
    KICX7564web350.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 148
  • KICX7718web350.jpg
    KICX7718web350.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 170
Ghostly Vision said:
....Sounds a little less sophisticated than the CP4500.

Do we know what the close focus is on the 4UR?

If it's anything like the SL300RT, it will be useless for close work. Many of us do Dragons, Butterflies, Flowers too, and I suspect that those of us who do will not be interested in this camera.

Sean

Hi Sean

I noticed your Shrike Pic's on Surfbirds and the comment about the low light. This is one of the big drawbacks of the Coolpix series they don't like poor light. However the Contax/Kyocera can handle it. I must have been at the Shrike at the same time as you (from 7am onwards) and got a dozen or so shots in the poor light at 100ISO the Coolpix on this setting was giving a useless shutter speed of 1/15 whilst the Kyocera gave me a much more usable 1/90. Given that we live on a dull drab island for 75% of the year the Contax / Kyocera will win hands down for at least the first and last couple of hours on a winters day.

Mark

Having had the Contax for a few weeks now I must echo a lot of what Andy and Paul have said about it---the practical advantages of size and ease of use plus the speed make for a greater degree of shooting opportunities than using the ---wait for it Coolpix----I do still carry both the 880 and the Contax with me and on static birds posing for a week I take shots with both as I still think the Nikon has the edge in good light BUT in poor light I feel the Contax is better and produces more acceptable shots due to the greater depth of field for one thing--see the Snow Bunting shot taken 2.11.04 in pretty poor light--the grass stems and the bird are in focus but with the Nikon I fancy it would have focussed on the grass and the bird would have been OOF---the Pom chasing the BHGull sequence shows why I feel it is such a useful digi-scoping tool, three shots fired in sequence as the birds came towards me and all reasonably in focus---the SEO also shows the advantage of multiple shooting as the other 4 shots had bits of the brid missing as it powered up from the ground and away---in short if only the battery were longer lasting this is a fine digi-scoping tool

Attachments

• Snow Bunt web.jpg
    Snow Bunt web.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Skua web.jpg
    Skua web.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Skua web2.jpg
    Skua web2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 197
  • Skua web3.jpg
    Skua web3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 173
  • SEO web8.jpg
    SEO web8.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 220
Paul and Graham,thankyou for your comments and marvellous shots using the 300.I had given up using this camera for digiscoping ,just use it as a pocket cam,but on reading your comments re poor light conditions etc,I will definitely give it another go.Those shots are amazing ,so clear,why did mine not turn out like yours,Paul.Do you use any special settings,also yours Graham,they are so clear,no blurring.

Hi Sean,
I'm surprised you don't just take digiscope images of the insects. I've found it to be the best way of getting close without them flying off.

Garry

P.S. Forgot to say this was taken with coolpix4500 looking through a mist net in heat haze and has had no manipulation other than resizing.

Attachments

• broad bodied chaser1a.jpg
    broad bodied chaser1a.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
garry1366 said:
Hi Sean,
I'm surprised you don't just take digiscope images of the insects. I've found it to be the best way of getting close without them flying off.

Garry

Hi Garry,

Yes, I do take digiscoped pics of the insects that stay still long enough - but have found I ge better images when they are taken without the scope.

I had a Contax SL300RT, and was indeed impressed by its size and speed - when digiscoping birds.

What I was not impressed with was the quality of photos I was getting.

In retrospect, this may have been due to the lack of knowledge on settings at the time, and I would relish the chance to have another go -especially if someone can lend me theirs!!!

The shutter speed difference in poor light does seem to be an advantage. I do find both this and the lag on the CP somewhat frustrating.

Andy - I look forward to your comprehensive review of the 4mp Contax - including what settings you use and what adaptor. Do you believe this will be a better camera to use hand-held (apart form its advantage in lightness?)

Sean

Just received the new Contax U4R .... just been charging the camera. The 2 inch monitor is great!! A few points that need to be cleared up.... it doesn't have a dedicated aperture priority as with the sl300 but 'sports mode' should be identical in that it will take the shot at widest aperture and give fastest shutter-speed for the given light.
The multi-point focus doesn't seem to be user adjustable.
Camera is slighter deeper than sl300 so the current cable-release adapter doesn't fit on it... new one shouldn't be far away.
I'll get back later with the most important aspects... image quality.

Andy

Andy, Have you charged it yet?
No, seriously, have you anything to report on the 4UR? I am sure that there are a lot of forum members awaiting your review before posting Christmas present want lists.
Thanks

Jim Archer said:
The specification does NOT mention an Aperture Priority Mode.
Lack of this turns it into an expensive point & shoot job.

Three weeks ago I posted the above comment, at the same time I emailed Contax.

Today I received a reply to the question:-

Contax 4UR
Specification does not mention Aperture Priority Mode. Is it available?

Reply is:-

No, it doesn't have it.

Best Regards,
The KyoceraImaging Technical Support Team

Memo to Andy Bright
Your comment re- Sport Mode really does contradict the "maufacturer"

Jim

Andy Bright said:
A new Contax has been announced called the U4R, I have some basic detail and a couple of piccies.
Similar in many ways to the SL300RT*

The Contax U4R incorporates a 9-point Multi AF function. The 9-point Multi AF Function is the perfect solution especially with subjects that are not centrally located in the composition. With the 9-point Multi AF system, the U4R automatically selects focus via one of the nine focusing points for precise focusing accuracy.

2 inch monitor. This should be excellent for digiscoping.

Easy Charge USB Cradle, the user no longer needs to be concerned about plugging an ac adapter into the camera each time the battery needs to be charged or a USB cable to transfer images. With the Easy Charge USB Cradle user hooks it up once to an ac outlet and to a personal computer via the supplied USB cable. Once the Easy Charge USB Cradle is connected to an outlet and computer, whenever the camera needs to be charged, it is just placed in the cradle for charging. When captured images need to be transferred from the camera, the camera is just placed in the Easy Charge USB Cradle for convenient transfer of images.

Hi Andy,
Is the Kyocera SL400R comparable in quality to the Contax U4R ?? Here in canada it seems to be the only version available ,but the price at $280 canadian seem too cheap compared to the European prices for the Contax.
Many thanks
Andy lockery

andylockery said:
Hi Andy,
Is the Kyocera SL400R comparable in quality to the Contax U4R ?? Here in canada it seems to be the only version available ,but the price at $280 canadian seem too cheap compared to the European prices for the Contax.
Many thanks
Andy lockery

Hi Andy Lockery

Contax US says that the U4R is availible early December.
I advice to wait, because if I read all comments between Kyocera and the
Contax version right, than the optic of the Contax versions is worth the money.
With the low dollar exchange rate the new U4R is significant cheaper than
for example the 400 British Pounds it goes for in the moment.

Cheers

Franzrudolf

I had my Kyocera SL400R out in the field for the first time today. What a little beauty. I was able to track this White-Browed scrubwren across a rock face and for the first time ever catch it with a grub. Only two problems - not enough battery power to last more than 1 hour and too many photos to look at when you get home. My CP4500 will only be used as backup from now on.Neil
ps I posted some other photos in the gallery.

Attachments

• wb scrubwren.worm  KIF_14341.JPG
    wb scrubwren.worm KIF_14341.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 267
Contax U4R versus Contax SL300R?

Andy Bright said:
Just received the new Contax U4R .... just been charging the camera. The 2 inch monitor is great!! A few points that need to be cleared up.... it doesn't have a dedicated aperture priority as with the sl300 but 'sports mode' should be identical in that it will take the shot at widest aperture and give fastest shutter-speed for the given light.
The multi-point focus doesn't seem to be user adjustable.
Camera is slighter deeper than sl300 so the current cable-release adapter doesn't fit on it... new one shouldn't be far away.
I'll get back later with the most important aspects... image quality.

Andy

Hi Andy have you had a good try out of the U4R version of the Contax camera, and how does it compare to the SL300R? Does the lack of Apperture priority cause problems for digiscoping? (I am going to be a beginner in this game and am wondering which is the best modle to buy for digiscoping SL300R or U4R, or something else if there is anything this simple and better!?)

Thanks

Have now had my Contax U4R for a fortnight, however, have only used it breifly due to a bad bout of flu. I have previously done quite a bit of digiscoping with a Nikon 4300, which got traded in as part of the acquisition. However, from initial results I am very pleased with the new camera - size and speed are excellent and large screen is a big bonus and has excellent colour resolution - far better than my old nikon. I am yet to try it in good conditions, which should hopefully get me some decent results. A couple of shots are attached below.

Cheers
Matt

Attachments

• Contax U4R - 060205 035A.jpg
    Contax U4R - 060205 035A.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 245
  • Contax U4R - 060205 060B.jpg
    Contax U4R - 060205 060B.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Contax U4R - 110205 033_edited.jpg
    Contax U4R - 110205 033_edited.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 251
Very nice results Matt. I'd still consider it as a replacement for the CP4500 for digiscoping. I have the Contax SL300RT which produces decent enough results but it looks like the 4 mp versions give that much more fine detail.

First decent shots

Having chased all around Forest Park,Bracknell for the flightly flocks of Waxwings they finally turned up in my front garden! The Contax enabled to shoot off 100 pics a few of which turned out OK. You'll notice one has a ring and bands on its legs. Perhaps someone could point the appropriate person at this website?

Simon

Attachments

• waxwing800x600.jpg
    waxwing800x600.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 213
  • waxwing2800x600.jpg
    waxwing2800x600.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 241
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back