• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New member/ Opticron DBA Oasis (1 Viewer)

Charltonfan

Hi everyone!
Have been birding for many years and want to upgrade my trusty Opicron 8x42 countryman porroprisms which I bought from Kay Optical for around £120 at lest 12 years ago!
I've heard good things about the Opticron Dba Oasis(which I see In Focus are doing for £499). How close optically are they to the top brands and is chromatic abberration a problem can anyone advise?(i'm interested in the 10x42 model)
My friend has the Zeiss 8x42 Fls which I have looked through and compared with the Leica 10x42 trinovids Bns. Optically I preferred the Leica's but did not like the weight or sticky focussing.
Whilst in the field a fellow birder let me look through his Swaro 10x42 Els which were excellent but felt noticeably heavier than my friend's Zeiss. I felt there was no noticeable difference between the two optically however.
I'm not a badge snob but don't want to spend out unnecesarily if the optical gains are tiny!
I know everybody will tell me to try the Opticrons along side the other top brands at a field day and that is what I shall do but any expert/user advice is more than welcome.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

I am sure you can find plenty of advice in our bins sub-forum.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Birdforum.

As Robin says check out the bino forums, at least you know you get an opinion of someone that does use them and not someone who is trying to sell them from that company.

PS Did a search on Opticron Oasis..the search didn't like the DBA bit and this is what it came up with.

http://www.birdforum.net/search.php?searchid=3622959

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back