• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Paramo Velez Adventure smock and other stuff (1 Viewer)

Chris Oates

Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...
It's Christmas and I don't do celebrations or parties or pubs - so with all that money I've saved by being a miserable git I've been shopping 'again'...
Velez Adventure smock - same two layer wind & waterproof as the Velez but it's now got a fixed hood. The design is one I've not come across before - there are two-way side zips which allow the smock to be opened to chest level for venting, map/bird book sized front kangaroo pocket, full width zipped internal handwarmer.
Bite tab cuff adjust, one handed pull cords, even with the hood rolled away you can cover half your face with the high collar, in my usual size there's room for a fleece underneath. Superbly comfortable - difficult to descibe how good Paramo clothes feel - you could wear them with no base layer and still feel comfortable.
Velez came from here

Only missing a few items from the Paramo range I did what I should have done ages ago - bought Cascada trousers.
I've spent more buying cheap trousers than a pair of these costs - if you are decrepit like me they unzip to the thigh for ease of getting them on, waterproof/windproof but don't feel like you are walking in bin-liners when it warms up. Don't hesitate - if you are trouserless buy a pair - you'll end up sleeping in them they are sooooo comfy.
Also came from here

Both of these are not really expensive if you consider they'll get you outdoors in a wide range of conditions cold/snow/rain/gales/drizzle right up to a windy summer day. I've got a Keela smock which is fine if it's cool and rainy but if it gets cold it's useless - if it gets hot it's a high humidity greenhouse.

Mid boots - these Rohan Edmuntons are just superb, soft leather, waterproof, great arch support and £35 is just silly - having got them I'd have happily paid full price for them.

I suffer terribly with hand pain in cold weather and have been trying various gloves - Thinsulate, Thinsulate+liner, Ski gloves+liner was suggested I try mitts as wearing fingered gloves prevents heat transfer from finger to finger so I'm trying Buffalo mitts which so far are much better - they are not generously sized though and my small hands only just fit a large - being able to freely move my fingers is great, you operate a scope or bins easily, the gauntlet it is tight though and goes inside a coat cuff rather than the usual outside which does actually stop rain getting in.

I don't care much for New Year celebrations either - that'll be another shopping spree..

Chris Oates said:
It's Christmas and I don't do celebrations or parties or pubs - so with all that money I've saved by being a miserable git I've been shopping 'again'...
Velez Adventure smock - same two layer wind & waterproof as the Velez but it's now got a fixed hood. The design is one I've not come across before - there are two-way side zips which allow the smock to be opened to chest level for venting, map/bird book sized front kangaroo pocket, full width zipped internal handwarmer.
Bite tab cuff adjust, one handed pull cords, even with the hood rolled away you can cover half your face with the high collar, in my usual size there's room for a fleece underneath. Superbly comfortable - difficult to descibe how good Paramo clothes feel - you could wear them with no base layer and still feel comfortable.
Velez came from here

Only missing a few items from the Paramo range I did what I should have done ages ago - bought Cascada trousers.
I've spent more buying cheap trousers than a pair of these costs - if you are decrepit like me they unzip to the thigh for ease of getting them on, waterproof/windproof but don't feel like you are walking in bin-liners when it warms up. Don't hesitate - if you are trouserless buy a pair - you'll end up sleeping in them they are sooooo comfy.
Also came from here

Both of these are not really expensive if you consider they'll get you outdoors in a wide range of conditions cold/snow/rain/gales/drizzle right up to a windy summer day. I've got a Keela smock which is fine if it's cool and rainy but if it gets cold it's useless - if it gets hot it's a high humidity greenhouse.

Mid boots - these Rohan Edmuntons are just superb, soft leather, waterproof, great arch support and £35 is just silly - having got them I'd have happily paid full price for them.

I suffer terribly with hand pain in cold weather and have been trying various gloves - Thinsulate, Thinsulate+liner, Ski gloves+liner was suggested I try mitts as wearing fingered gloves prevents heat transfer from finger to finger so I'm trying Buffalo mitts which so far are much better - they are not generously sized though and my small hands only just fit a large - being able to freely move my fingers is great, you operate a scope or bins easily, the gauntlet it is tight though and goes inside a coat cuff rather than the usual outside which does actually stop rain getting in.

I don't care much for New Year celebrations either - that'll be another shopping spree..

Useful info' , thanks . I feel a shopping trip may be due.

Paul.

Thanks Chris, I've been debating getting a pair of cascada trousers to go with my jacket but the resticted colour range (Blue or Grey) put me off. Now I'll be Forest from top to toe. after a quick search I got them for £84 postage paid.

Cheers.

Mick.

Very Intersting Chris The trousers I bought a few months ago they are brilliant. I lie on grass with them have gone out in torrential rain and even slept in them they are so comfortable. I emailed paramo some time ago requesting that they do it in green but was told they didnt. So I guess a number of people have made the request now.

Chris Oates said:
Don't hesitate - if you are trouserless buy a pair
And of course, that'll stop you from being arrested for walking around in just your pants!

;)

I must admit that ready to buy a pair of Cascadas: for some reason the sand on my local beaches stays saturated for ages and I'm sick of being soaked by the time I've stood up again from kneeling or sitting down to take a few wader photos.

Thanks for the advice, Chris.

Keith Reeder said:
I must admit that ready to buy a pair of Cascadas:

Paramo is a love/hate thing.
I'll never buy anything else as it suits me and I feel very good wearing it.
Some say it's got no style and is too warm - nobody says it's crap.
It's blowing a hooley here and raining horizontally, I'm out in a Paramo Torres smock & Cascada trousers with just a Tshirt underneath - quite dry & warm.
The trousers are strange - bit like wearing two layers of silk pyjamas - very soft & smooth - you stride out in a gale thinking these things will leak and/or I'll freeze....doesn't happen - only criticism is they only have two pockets.
For really warm weather I've got the Fuera trousers which are the Cascadas minus the liner & a Cambia top.

OOH P A R A M O OOH P A R A M O OOH P A R A M O

sing it

I lerve Paramo clothing. I had my first paramo jacket about 15 yerars ago. still going strong. Bought a second in a sale "just in case". Sold it as JIC never came after 16 years. Paramo jacklet keeps me warm at my temp but does not boil me. Not trendy not fashionable. But an excellent walking jacket that has been out in torrential storms on a mountain side rain and kept me warm and dry.

THAT said I have bought an Alta jacket in a sale recently, graded for mountaineering, JIC I do Helvellyn or Ben Nevis one year. I can dream.

Also have a Berghaus ripstop fabric type waterproof that I got for £1. So 2 Paramo's and a Bergy. Sorted. Will buy a pair of Paramo pants in a sale if I see one.

obm

ccc outoors in stockport have some good buys in paramo they had cascada jackets £90
trousers £80 craghopper lined kiwis £20 lotsof other stuff going cheap as well

Tried a pair of Buffalo Mitts today.Not too impressed with their thermal insulation seeing as I paid £20 for them.Anybody else wear these?,recommend alternatives.

israel said:
Tried a pair of Buffalo Mitts today.Not too impressed with their thermal insulation seeing as I paid £20 for them.Anybody else wear these?,recommend alternatives.

I'm still using mine and despite being very thin I find they do actually work OK - it's the small sizing that annoys me.
I also have a pair of Kommen gloves which are really good, heavy goretex outer with a removable fleece liner - got them here

I've been reading the various threads on Paramo jackets as I'm in the market for a new jacket and tried on the Cascada today - it had to be the most comfortable jacket I've ever worn!!!! However I did have 2 concerns.

The first was that some people seem to have experienced a lack of waterproofness where the jacket is pressed against another surface and as I use a scopac wondered if anyone could comment.

The other concern was that the material did not feel particularly strong and tearproof; again can anyone comment how this faces up versus the usual accidental impacts of rogue brambles, gorse etc

Allen i brought the Cascade jacket in olive for 1/2 price about 3 weeks ago the supplier that i got mine from www. gooutdoors.co.uk looks to have sold out but www.srcunningham.co.uk have them at £99 still a very good price.Sorry cant help with the waterproofness or the strength.

Allen said:
I've been reading the various threads on Paramo jackets as I'm in the market for a new jacket and tried on the Cascada today - it had to be the most comfortable jacket I've ever worn!!!! However I did have 2 concerns.

The first was that some people seem to have experienced a lack of waterproofness where the jacket is pressed against another surface and as I use a scopac wondered if anyone could comment.

The other concern was that the material did not feel particularly strong and tearproof; again can anyone comment how this faces up versus the usual accidental impacts of rogue brambles, gorse etc

I've stopped wearing membrane coats and gone completely Paramo - partly for the reason you give - it's all so comfy.
I've personally never had any leaking at all despite carrying a rucksack and a scope, I'm always leaning against gates & hedges when it's raining and that hasn't produced any problems either.
I don't bother looking for dry spots to sit down when wearing Cascada trousers - Paramo actually say that putting on their directional fabric when you are already wet will help dry you out - example here.
I particulary like the clothing as you don't get that fetid greenhouse effect when it's drizzling and you are struggling up a hill.

Toughness - I've not damaged any of my stuff yet and judgng by the amount of people still wearing extremely old Paramo gear - it loooks like it's made to last.
Unlike some complicated membrane materials Paramo can be stitched up without affecting waterproofness.

I've now had the opportunity to try the Velez Adventure in anger - we've had everything here mild & drizzly, cold & windy, horizontal rain....the Velez does very well.
It's not an insulating jacket nor is it a summer lightweight but it copes very well with a range of weather as it's wind & water proof and can be unziped so much that it becomes little more than a poncho - I'm wearing it with a Craghopper merino top underneath which is about as heavy as a T-shirt but very warm.
It's a practical activity top for keeping the elements out - it's not one of those trendy technicals you'd wear when going to the Pub, you wouldn't use it for an afternoon stroll on a cold day - using the handwarmer pockets means opening the side zips which means the cold gets in.
If however you are scoping and have mitts on or are striding up a hill with poles this is a compact, comfortable weatherproof top that with Cascada troosers will keep you totally warm & dry.
Bad things - very unusually for Paramo the arms are not as generously cut as their other garments, the internal handwarmer pockets are annoying.
Good things - bite tabs on the cuffs, big kangaroo pocket, good hood, feels absolutely great & does what it's supposed to.
What I like about all Paramo gear is that you could wear it next to your skin - I wouldn't want to do that with my Helly hanson or Berghaus.

Chris

As you seem to be something of an expert on paramo, can you comment on my concern of the fabric versus rogue brambles, gorse etc - does it tear easily (I know this doesn't affect performance but I wouldn't want it to tear at the slightest contact with the British hedgrow!!)

Allen said:
Chris

As you seem to be something of an expert on paramo, can you comment on my concern of the fabric versus rogue brambles, gorse etc - does it tear easily (I know this doesn't affect performance but I wouldn't want it to tear at the slightest contact with the British hedgrow!!)

I live in Cornwall so I'm always coming into contact with gorse, barbed wire etc and haven't had any problems - I'm more worried about cigarette burns as I'm a smoker.
Paramo fabrics are mostly very slippery and don't tend to snag.

To quote paramo....
1 Soft, but very strong fabrics
Páramo® Directional Waterproofs are much softer than coated or membrane based garments, and yet they are just as strong!
2 Warmth
Being warm as well as waterproof means you can leave behind some of your insulation layers. Adjustable ventilation provides comfort in warm as well as cool conditions.

3 Silence
The rustle and crunch of coated or membrane fabrics is a thing of the past with Páramo®. Páramo® Directional Waterproofs are made using tough, silent and flexible fabrics.

4 Immunity to Puncture
You could fill a Directional Waterproof garment with pins, take them out, wear the garment in the rain and still stay dry! Puncture of the outer or inner fabric will not lead to leakage.

5 Renewability
The performance of Páramo® Directional Waterproofs can be indefinitely renewed by caring for them with Nikwax products. Conventional membranes on the other hand, can eventually fracture and crack and then cannot be repaired.

6 Keeping you dry in high humidity conditions
Both conventional waterproofs and Soft Shell fail in conditions of high humidity. Páramo® continues to pump water away from you whatever the humidity.

Just had off Ebay cascada coat and trousers £120. So not expensive if you shop around, and I will not cry so much if the worse hapens. but I do have the advantage of being size small which nobody else seems to want.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back