• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New recorded-in-the-field Audiobook, "Songs & Sounds" (1 Viewer)

NVZZVi.jpg

Hi folks, if this is considered too self-promotey please take my apologies in advance.. on a quick glance looks like it's not unusual for an author/producer to post a thread here about their own work.

I do a lot of audio recordings in the field, and a lot of it is narrated while I'm recording -- kind of like have a birding guide alongside the listener. In any case, I've taken collection of recordings done throughout a year's worth (July 2021-June 2022) of these and collected them into an Audiobook format. It begins when the young are fledging locally, goes through the fall migration months, wintering birdings, then on to the spring migration and breeding season.

This 95% new content not heard on my podcast (Songbirding), was originally created as subscriber/supporter-exclusive content, now remastered & re-edited and available for one-time purchase. (The roughly 5% non-new content are recordings that were released as Halloween and Christmas Bird Count special episodes of Songbirding during the year covered in the audiobook.)

To say the least this is completely non-conventional Audiobook. I'm learning my lesson as this rolls out to retailers that every Audiobook "store" has their own process that mangle good field recordings to varied degrees. For example, do not buy this on Kobo, they've reduced the filesize to one third and reduced the audio quality to about that as well.

I will have new audiobooks in the future, at least one focused entirely on longform recordings of single species as a learning resource.

The best way you can get a good quality version of this is directly through the following link: Songs and Sounds (Audiobook) by Songbirding Studios - it's a direct file download, you'll have to import it (two files for technical reasons) to an audiobook reader, but on the upside, no DRM to deal with.

Although, it should be on Audible soon (anywhere from days to 2 months I'm told, hah!) and it remains to be seen how much they will mess with the audio quality, so if you're an Audible subscriber you could also wait to see if you can use a credit for it there.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back