• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to the forums! (1 Viewer)

LillyTr

Lilly, enjoyer of owls
United States
Hello, I'm Lillyanne, but I usually go by Lilly (she/her)!

I'm a recent graduate (BFA in Animation/Illustration) based in central California with a lifelong interest in animals. Specifically, birds, of course (seeing as how I've registered for an account here haha), but I have a particular fondness for owls due to the works of Kathryn Lasky. I initially read her series, The Guardians of Ga'hoole, back in 2008, and it was only after rereading the books at the beginning of quarantine did I realize "Oh wait, adult-me still thinks birds are really neat!"

Since that realization, I've been reading any paper I could get my hands on about avian biology and behaviors, and I have an absolute laundry list of books that I'd like to read as recommended directly from the r/ornithology forum on Reddit. While I will always be working to improve my own understanding of avian illustration/anatomy, my future goals as an artist are to create resources for other artists learning how to illustrate/depict birds as well. My current working project is a visual 3D library of the current extant genera under the order of Strigiforme, because, while I very much love the owls of North America, I would also love to see more depictions of less familiar species!

Although I don't have the means of transportation to go birding just yet, it's definitely something I would like to pursue as a hobby in the future, both for artistic reference and just for myself! I was recently on a family trip to Lake Tahoe and by chance, recognized a Stellar's jay (horribly blurry photo attached) outside the cabin. That absolute excitement I felt at being able to recognize this single bird is one I would absolutely love to experience again, so I'm looking forward to birding opportunities in the future!

Also, I will very openly admit, the only reason I'm familiar with Stellar's jays is because one of my party members in my Pathfinder 2E group plays a character whose design is based on them haha.

Other than that, I consider myself quite a boring person, but I do like talking and I do like birds so I'm very happy to be here heheh! It's been a good several years since actively participating in forums of any type, so I look forward to meeting the rest of the community here :D

Attachments

• LakeTahoe_StellarsJay.jpg
    LakeTahoe_StellarsJay.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi Lilly and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I hope we may see more of your pictures in the Gallery too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Thank you both very kindly for the welcomes! :)
The majority of my work is more character design/stylized than accurate depictions, so I'm hoping to brush up on my skills a bit before posting anything heheh. I'm sure I could find some old photo studies if I dig through the files though, and I eventually hope to start working on a solution for how to stylize feathers for 3D sculpts so I hope to share those in the future as well!

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back