• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New tripod for (oldish but perfectly fine) Swarovski 80 ATS HD (1 Viewer)

markstenton

I’m in the rather fortunate position of choosing something as a leaving present from my Partnership. I currently have a cheap velbon aluminium tripod with a terrible head. It is poor and vibrates in any wind. The scope tends to become loose on the adapter plate which is also a pain. I would like carbon fibre legs and a much better head, budget is not an issue. I would like to ask just a couple of questions

1. Is the Manfrotto 128 RC still a good choice so that I do not have to use an adapter plate or are there other heads I should consider?

2. What legs should I consider - twist lock I think

3. Any good shops e.g Cley Spy or similar where there is a good selection to try? I live in York but would be happy to travel and stay somewhere if the shop is worth it! There will be a lot of “emotion” attached to the gift so I want to be sure I make the best choice.

Thanks for your help

Mark

The 128RC would be my pick for the ATS 80.

I see Cley Spy has some Induro tripods, I'd probably go with the Induro BICLT203. I had a BICLT103 I used with an Opticron MM3ED and stupidly sold it.

I have a Manfrotto 055MFG tripod plus the 128RC and the combination works (for me) with my ATS80.

Although a visit to Cley Spy is a decent excuse for a few days in Norfolk, if you can wait until summer, there’s every likelihood that various tripod manufacturers will be at Birdfair

I’m in the rather fortunate position of choosing something as a leaving present from my Partnership. I currently have a cheap velbon aluminium tripod with a terrible head. It is poor and vibrates in any wind. The scope tends to become loose on the adapter plate which is also a pain. I would like carbon fibre legs and a much better head, budget is not an issue. I would like to ask just a couple of questions

1. Is the Manfrotto 128 RC still a good choice so that I do not have to use an adapter plate or are there other heads I should consider?
Not really. It still works, somehow, but there are better options, e.g. the Manfrotto 500AH, various Berlebach heads, Gitzo, Sirui and so on.
2. What legs should I consider - twist lock I think.
If budget is no issue I'd get a Gitzo. Still the best (portable) tripods IMO.

Hermann

Do I have a QR foot?

I know that my foot will go into the 128RC without an adapter plate.

Is this true of any other heads or will all the alternatives require an adapter plate?

If I do use an adapter, how do I stop it from working loose. I have read a lot of threads on here and am finding it all a bit confusing!

The 128RC is probably the ONLY head that will work for your ATS80 without a plate. Apparently newer ATS80 versions have a foot that is also Arca Swiss compatible that will fit directly in certain heads. The newer ATX/STX objectives, like my ATX85, are Arca Swiss compatible and it fits directly into the Gitzo GHF2W head.

Generally speaking, plates suck. I despise them. Every different plate will fit your scope differently and probably work loose. If you haven't found the answer to this in all the threads you've reviewed, you've actually found the answer, which is: you DON'T keep it from working loose.

Kowa has recently addressed this issue in their new 88 and 99 series scopes. The scope feet have 2 threaded sockets for secure mounting of a plate, versus the single threaded socket on all scopes made for the prior 40-50 years.

Hi Mark,

that sounds like a good way to get a nice carbon fiber tripod... For a full size scope head, I still think the 500AH is best unless you either absolutely don't want a QR plate (but hear me out, they're not all bad) or want Arca Swiss because you have other tripods and gear with that and want to easily mix and match without fiddling with the plates. The 500AH comes with a fairly long QR plate and even longer ones are available, so you will be able to balance your scope on the head regardless of any accessories like digiscoping stuff you might put on there. And only if the scope is in balance, you can use the head with low friction for smooth movement. Nothing is worse than having to open the friction control, move the scope and re-tighten it afterwards.

Regarding legs, I have a few rules of thumb:

• you want as few sections as possible for best stability. In my case that number is three as my Velbon legs still fit into my suitcase that way - if that is not necessary, there is a two section alloy tripod available from the Audubon Shop which is very stable.
  • you want to keep your center column down - or mostly so - in normal use, so choose legs that are tall enough.
  • Twist lock or level lock are a matter of taste, as long as they work. But if they start to fail, twist locks often can be jury-rigged with an extra quarter turn, unlike a broken lever lock. Plus many upmarket tripods are only available with twist locks...
  • a wider leg angle is preferable for being less prone to being blown over in strong wind. This means of course less height for a given folded length, but better than a broken scope.

Joachim

Hi Mark,

that sounds like a good way to get a nice carbon fiber tripod... For a full size scope head, I still think the 500AH is best unless you either absolutely don't want a QR plate (but hear me out, they're not all bad) or want Arca Swiss because you have other tripods and gear with that and want to easily mix and match without fiddling with the plates. The 500AH comes with a fairly long QR plate and even longer ones are available, so you will be able to balance your scope on the head regardless of any accessories like digiscoping stuff you might put on there. And only if the scope is in balance, you can use the head with low friction for smooth movement. Nothing is worse than having to open the friction control, move the scope and re-tighten it afterwards.

Regarding legs, I have a few rules of thumb:

• you want as few sections as possible for best stability. In my case that number is three as my Velbon legs still fit into my suitcase that way - if that is not necessary, there is a two section alloy tripod available from the Audubon Shop which is very stable.
  • you want to keep your center column down - or mostly so - in normal use, so choose legs that are tall enough.
  • Twist lock or level lock are a matter of taste, as long as they work. But if they start to fail, twist locks often can be jury-rigged with an extra quarter turn, unlike a broken lever lock. Plus many upmarket tripods are only available with twist locks...
  • a wider leg angle is preferable for being less prone to being blown over in strong wind. This means of course less height for a given folded length, but better than a broken scope.

Joachim
Agree with all these points, but recognize they translate to a large package even when fully folded.
For travel, I think 15 inches is about as big as a folded tripod can be while fitting in a carry on.
It would be nice to have some reports on experiences with such offerings.

For travel, I think 15 inches is about as big as a folded tripod can be while fitting in a carry on.
Hi,

that's why my the tripod and head go into the checked suitcase... plus my carry on is well filled with glass and a few things I might actually need during the flight...
But of course my Velbon legs were cheap... don't know if I'd dare with a $$$ Gitzo tripod...

Joachim

2. What legs should I consider - twist lock I think

3. Any good shops e.g Cley Spy or similar where there is a good selection to try? I live in York but would be happy to travel and stay somewhere if the shop is worth it! There will be a lot of “emotion” attached to the gift so I want to be sure I make the best choice.

Thanks for your help

Mark
I have a manfrotto 055 carbon fibre (OLD STYLE) and cannot imagine a better alternative. Apparently the new 055 has only 1 bolt to stop the head spinning... surprisingly.
If you are happy with the head you have why change it I have manfrotto 500AH its very good but use an Opticron hide clamp and car window mount.
I was lucky enough last year to have a good vantage point for harriers on some moorland I got fed up with changing plates and was lucky enough to be offered a conversion to arca swiss for the manfrotto head on the mounts it is just a bolt on plate holder but the tripod and head work very well for me and I will not be changing anything again. I am also retired so have tried a few things over the years I recently tried a Sirui head to save weight it was rubbish IMHO.

Thanks for the heads up, am considering a new 055… if they don’t have any additional locking screws (in addition to the main bolt) then I’m not getting one. I like my stuff bolted down as robustly as we can!!

Peter

Thanks for the heads up, am considering a new 055… if they don’t have any additional locking screws (in addition to the main bolt) then I’m not getting one. I like my stuff bolted down as robustly as we can!!

Peter
There is 1 locking screw in addition to the main bolt as I understand it but someone on here was having problems new old stock is a possibility though, it may be worth contacting focalpoint optics which is at Northwich I think, not as far from you as Cley I think. Though I think phoning may be easier than their website
Good luck anyway.

Much further, I live on the outskirts of the capital… northwich is properly “up north”. If I go for the 055 I will check on the lock screw situation first (I’ll check my old 190, see what it has).

Petet

I have a Sirui VH-10 head with a VH-VP10 quick release plate. I bought a second plate and use this head with 2 scopes: 65mm (1450g) and 82mm (1770g). I haven't noticed any slack in the connection and no falling of the scopes when I lock the head.

I have a manfrotto 055 carbon fibre (OLD STYLE) and cannot imagine a better alternative. Apparently the new 055 has only 1 bolt to stop the head spinning... surprisingly.
If you are happy with the head you have why change it I have manfrotto 500AH its very good but use an Opticron hide clamp and car window mount.
I was lucky enough last year to have a good vantage point for harriers on some moorland I got fed up with changing plates and was lucky enough to be offered a conversion to arca swiss for the manfrotto head on the mounts it is just a bolt on plate holder but the tripod and head work very well for me and I will not be changing anything again. I am also retired so have tried a few things over the years I recently tried a Sirui head to save weight it was rubbish IMHO.
Current head is rubbish, so I definitely need to change

Think I am focusing in on Gitzo GHF2W, Manfrotto 128RC and Manfrotto 500AH
Just need to find somewhere to try them all in person

Current head is rubbish, so I definitely need to change

Think I am focusing in on Gitzo GHF2W, Manfrotto 128RC and Manfrotto 500AH
Just need to find somewhere to try them all in person
The manfrotto head is very good but I know nothing of the others pity you are so far away.

Generally speaking, plates suck. I despise them. Every different plate will fit your scope differently and probably work loose. If you haven't found the answer to this in all the threads you've reviewed, you've actually found the answer, which is: you DON'T keep it from working loose.
I have found that a simple rubber band works to prevent the constant looseness of scope to foot( as I had a foot too). See image attached, but essentially wrapping a rubber band around the plate or foot provides a bit of cushion that allows the scope to be tightened ‘using that cushion’… if that makes sense. All I know is that it works as the scope will not loosen as much. Jim

Attachments

• 20200430_160359_resized.jpg
    20200430_160359_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
On my tsn3 since I made my anti rotation hole 6mm and tapped it with a top quality tungsten tap I have never had any problems at all after using a flat head allen key bolt plus the normal tripod plate bolt nothing moves if you do not have the gear or self confidence (a bit like me) find someone with a background in precision engineering and you will never have this problem again. It took Kowa a very long time to realise this is the best solution On my 883 I have a similar set up.
20230123_155539.jpg20230123_164905.jpg

Last edited:
On my tsn3 since I made my anti rotation hole 6mm and tapped it with a top quality tungsten tap I have never had any problems at all after using a flat head allen key bolt plus the normal tripod plate bolt nothing moves if you do not have the gear or self confidence (a bit like me) find someone with a background in precision engineering and you will never have this problem again. It took Kowa a very long time to realise this is the best solution On my 883 I have a similar set up.
View attachment 1490457View attachment 1490475
I like this! Very good solution

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back