• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New tripod for (oldish but perfectly fine) Swarovski 80 ATS HD (1 Viewer)

I have found that a simple rubber band works to prevent the constant looseness of scope to foot( as I had a foot too). See image attached, but essentially wrapping a rubber band around the plate or foot provides a bit of cushion that allows the scope to be tightened ‘using that cushion’… if that makes sense. All I know is that it works as the scope will not loosen as much. Jim
Compliance is counter-productive. No objections to the rubber strips on Berlebach or recent Novoflex QR plates but the fixing screw should be tightened suffiently to ensure that the friction between the metal surfaces of scope foot and QR plate prevent anything coming loose. If you have a thread adapter in the scope foot, that could be the source of the problem.

John

Things have changed a little since my last post. I had a problem with my 30x eyepiece needing repair by Swarovski, so I decided to get the Arca Suisse conversion too on the scope whilst I was at it.

I am hopefully going to try the GHF2W at Wex photo in Leeds next week and want some suitable carbon fibre legs. Any thoughts on traveler or mountaineer Gitzo legs with the combination of ATS 80 and this head?

I'm happy with my kit which is an ATX85 on the GHF2W with G1227 legs (1st gen. CF.) The current version (5th gen?) is the GT2532 Mountaineer. I prefer 3 section legs and am nott familiar with the Traveler series.

In the end I bought the GHF2W head along with the G3542 legs; chose the 4 section tripod which now fits in my suitcase. Swarovski charged me £208 to convert to the AS foot.

I am absolutely delighted with the set-up - spent several hours at the D’Albufera nature reserve in Mallorca yesterday with scope and tripod carried over shoulder on several occasions- all was extremely stable and the head is an absolute joy to use.

Thank you for all those who have offered advice in recent weeks

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back