• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New viking peregrine 10x42 (3 Viewers)

2 days ago I got a brand new pair of peregrine ed 10x42s from camera world. This is my first pair of more expensive / mid price binoculars after a few years with cheap compacts and a 10x42 and so I don't have much experience with high end optics. However the optical quality is amazing in these bins with crystal clear sharpness from the middle to edges. I also like the simple design and build of them especially the grooved focus wheel which has good grip and is smooth. The only negatives about these binoculars is that the case could be better. It is quite light and it is soft (stiffer than the generic cases on cheap bins) which isn't really bad but it is quite small and only fits if the ececups are fully down and the binoculars aren't bent which means that it is quite slow to whip them out and quickly look at a bird in your street. Overall I am very happy and hope they last well. I have a 10 year guarantee too which is also good to know.

Sorry about my lack of technical terms - I am a keen birder but am yet to delve into expensive equipment.

Does anyone have any advise on what lens cleaners are best? Theres loads out there - where do I start?

Don’t worry about technical jibber-jabber, you will pick it up as you go along.

Zeiss lens wipes are excellent.

Don't keep your binoculars in their case unless they are stored at home in in the car/a rucksack while travelling.
Wear them around your neck and pre-aligned for your eyes for fast use on passing birds.

If you don’t like the case after a few weeks have a rummage around t’internet and look out for a better case (probably a generic binocular or camera thingamybob).
Somewhere like this:-

most important - get out and practice and enjoy your new binoculars

Last edited:
Don’t worry about technical jibber-jabber, you will pick it up as you go along.

Zeiss lens wipes are excellent.

Don't keep your binoculars in their case unless they are stored at home in in the car/a rucksack while travelling.
Wear them around your neck and pre-aligned for your eyes for fast use on passing birds.

If you don’t like the case after a few weeks have a rummage around t’internet and look out for a better case (probably a generic binocular or camera thingamybob).
Somewhere like this:-

most important - get out and practice and enjoy your new binoculars
Thanks. Yes I do keep them around my neck when I'm out birdwatching but sometimes there packed away on a shelf in my room and a bird suddenly passes the window you can't quickly grab and go with them due to the case but it's only a minor issue. I do have a Carson case that stays on the binoculars while you use them but sadly it doesn't fit my bins. It is handy as the binoculars are always ready to go.
Luckily I already do have lots of zeiss wipes too.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back