• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie & Geologist Posting From NE Kentucky (1 Viewer)

Ateamnm

United States
I just moved back to my home town, Greenup County Kentucky after living abroad and moving back from near Albuquerque New Mexico where I lived a few decades at 7000 feet in the Sandia Mountains. I now reside in the Ohio River valley in the tri-state region of Ohio/W. Virginia & Kentucky and have decided to make the best of things and create a BBB (Backyard Bird Biota). I am an amateur at best but have created a nice little habitat for a great variety of buddy birds, enough to invest >$300 in a pair of binoculars when I own a pair of Nikon that have served me for decades and incredible optics, just not good at 25 feet. Of course a few feeders, etc.

The issue is I love the Robin, a hunter, a stalker, a scrapper and worm eating machine, oh such a bad ass hunter. I have a nest, 4 eggs on the bathroom widow sill. One egg hatched, then @ 18 hours later the other 3 hatched, scrawny tiny awesome fledglings. I'm out of town working, wife reported all 4 are alive, moma and father are feeding prior to her going to work. Wife returns from work in the mid afternoon, all babies are gone. No disturbance to the rather large nest, window sill is @ 8 feet above the ground; 2 cats have been spotted patrolling. No feathers on the ground, no egg shells, no evidence of a fight. ??? Snake, other bird like a Blue Jay, 4-legged critter like a Racoon, feral cat, raptor???? What happened?

Perplexing. Could the Robin have moved the babies, eaten the babies and egg shells? We put up a piece of cardboard in the bathroom window trying not to to disturb her. She was chill, she had a great spot yet of course vulnerable. I just buried an awesome Aussie of 13 years, I'm kinda gutted for my Robins. It was emotional to deal with natures cycle of death and survival.

I can take pictures of the nest, the backyard and feeders, etc. Answer any questions. I joined to try and close this riddle and figured you folks would know. Thanks for the admission to the bird house!
Ateamnm

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I can’t help with your question, there are birds that will eat others young. Wish I could be of more help.

Hi Ateamnm and a warm welcome from me too. I'm so sorry to hear about this nest failure, but am unable to make any other suggestions as to what might have gone wrong.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back