• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie - what type of bird pls? Cotswolds UK. (1 Viewer)

Guesty

United Kingdom
Hello! This little bird has been frequenting a garden in South Cerney, Glos, for the last couple of months (August through Sept.)

Size and shape similar to a blackbird (though maybe chubbier) but as you can see it has brown feathers on its head and slightly speckled down onto its chest.

I looked on here last time I saw it and saw about an illness which causes some male blackbirds to go bald but this doesn’t appear to be bald.

It seems quite curious and not easily frightened but both times I‘ve seen it I‘be only had an iPhone on me hence the low quality shots.

Apologies if this is a well known bird - the lady who lives in this house has lots of avian visitors and has never seen this one before.

Attachments

• 1B269FED-EC42-41B5-851B-3EFA800EAB20.jpeg
    1B269FED-EC42-41B5-851B-3EFA800EAB20.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 8D26A8A8-7DFA-43F4-B859-5D9E3FC078D0.jpg
    8D26A8A8-7DFA-43F4-B859-5D9E3FC078D0.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 677BB48A-4A8D-4A77-BD3B-CACDBAD49EF3.jpg
    677BB48A-4A8D-4A77-BD3B-CACDBAD49EF3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 43
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I think it is just a young blackbird as body shape tail and wing length, bill and everything fit. The random witish feathers would this then make a leucistic individual- if they are truly white ?

Thanks for the quick replies. I think the photo makes some feathers look white when in reality they are mostly the light brown. Will keep an eye out for it again over the coming weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back