• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie (1 Viewer)

Hi, just returned from a few days at Bempton and Flamborough, took some great shots of the Gannets nest building and the Puffins etc, had a few chats with the RSPB guys asking about scopes as my m wife wants better bino’s but when using their scopes found it easier with scopes, been looking around and found Hawke ed endurance 25x75-85 £500 and also 20-40-60 £250 any thoughts or feedback if this would be a good starter. Thnx

Last edited:
Hi Roy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the Telescope forum as they're better placed to be able to advise you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Roy, as no one’s responded I’ll kick off despite not having relevant experience of the Hawke Endurance scope. I had some Hawke binoculars for a while and have a scope, so can give general advice. Others can get more specific about certain scopes. The standard advice here is to try before you buy, especially with spotting scopes. They’re very tight tolerance instruments due to relatively short focal lengths for the apertures (to keep them small). This leads to a fair amount of variation between individual scopes of the same model. So people here will ask to look through maybe 3 of the same scope in a shop and walk out with the sharpest one or none if there are issues with all of them. The Hawke Endurance scope sounds a good place to start. Testing it out you’ll get a sense of weight and size and optically how sharp it is across the zoom range, the field of view both true and apparent and how it changes when zooming and how easy it is to fine focus. Try lots of other scopes as well. Basically it’s absolutely worth spending loads of time in a store trying out different scopes and if you find one that meets your needs and impresses you optically etc in the store, whether it’s used or new and regardless of make and if the price is right, then get that scope. Even the same model bought online to save a few quid may not perform so well and ultimately leave you disappointed. Similarly if the demo model they show you works best ask for that, don’t be tempted to walk out with the new untested unit they’ll suggest. Test it first.

And that’s it really. Best of luck and hope you have a store locally you can visit.

Hi Roy, as no one’s responded I’ll kick off despite not having relevant experience of the Hawke Endurance scope. I had some Hawke binoculars for a while and have a scope, so can give general advice. Others can get more specific about certain scopes. The standard advice here is to try before you buy, especially with spotting scopes. They’re very tight tolerance instruments due to relatively short focal lengths for the apertures (to keep them small). This leads to a fair amount of variation between individual scopes of the same model. So people here will ask to look through maybe 3 of the same scope in a shop and walk out with the sharpest one or none if there are issues with all of them. The Hawke Endurance scope sounds a good place to start. Testing it out you’ll get a sense of weight and size and optically how sharp it is across the zoom range, the field of view both true and apparent and how it changes when zooming and how easy it is to fine focus. Try lots of other scopes as well. Basically it’s absolutely worth spending loads of time in a store trying out different scopes and if you find one that meets your needs and impresses you optically etc in the store, whether it’s used or new and regardless of make and if the price is right, then get that scope. Even the same model bought online to save a few quid may not perform so well and ultimately leave you disappointed. Similarly if the demo model they show you works best ask for that, don’t be tempted to walk out with the new untested unit they’ll suggest. Test it first.

And that’s it really. Best of luck and hope you have a store locally you can visit.
Thanks for your time to reply, some great information and knowledge which i will certainly take on board on my quest to find the right scope, i have been looking for used as well bur its the trust thing that am i pouring money down the drain with no knowledge of how the unit has been handled etc, i take so much care over my camera equipment but do others, is there a section here where people sell equipment??. Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated.

I don't know the scopes Hawke makes. However, I'd suggest to look at Opticron as well, including used equipment. Opticron is well regarded, and most people are quite happy with their gear. The scopes I've seen in the field were pretty good, all of them. From what I heard getting a scope or binoculars from Hawke is more of a gamble.

Opticron have got their own subforum here, have a look there.

Hermann

Hi Roy and welcome to BirdForum. I’ve got a Hawke scope and have been pleased with it. I remember at the time looking for a used Nikon ED82 but nothing was coming up. The service from Hawke has been very good.

Rich

I don't know the scopes Hawke makes. However, I'd suggest to look at Opticron as well, including used equipment. Opticron is well regarded, and most people are quite happy with their gear. The scopes I've seen in the field were pretty good, all of them. From what I heard getting a scope or binoculars from Hawke is more of a gamble.

Opticron have got their own subforum here, have a look there.

Hermann
Hi, thanks for your help, I have had a look at Opticron, but will also check out the links on here, thnx for info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back