• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Next up in Toronto's pave everything for bike paths intitiative (1 Viewer)

KyleM

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/baselands

That details the plan to cut up a very excellent birding area, at the base of the Tommy Thompson park / Leslie spit to put some 'high capacity trails' and the like through it.

This is one of the few 'woods' without a 'formal' trail system and these high capacity trials are ridiculous, paved or granular (usually paved) they are a good 3-4m wide (+ shoulders), so you can see how in a small area (about 400 x 400m), they would succeed in destroying it quite readily. Don't forget benches...

Most of the other areas in the city have had these added, and the only real use thereafter are for cyclists. They try to sell these as promoting 'nature activities', but there is a crock if there ever was one.

If you are in the area, toss your word at this. If they are going to do anything to this area at all, it should be build a large fence around and keep everyone out (I'd give it up for that, no issues). The city thinks they need to 'develop' places to give nature experiences, if there was ever a more backwards approach (city folk have odd mindsets), I have not encountered it. There is already a city street connecting to an adjacent trail, that connects to the road down the spit (to the lighthouse).

Overall needless development for the sake of development.

For those not in the area, the baselands are commonly referred to as the 'wet woods' by birders, it is a bit of a local hot spot during Migration. I had 10 odd species of warbler there yesterday (blackburnian, canada, magnolia, northern parula, chestnut-sided, ovenbird, yellow, black-and-white, Redstart, black-throated blue, wilson's) A blackpoll, golden-winged, blue-winged, and chat were seen (but not by me). It is a great little place, as is.

Last edited:
Haven't looked at their plan in detail yet, but I like the concept of formalizing the "Nature Viewing Trails" through the wet woods (Section 7). I think this would work, if they were created along the lines of the "seasonal" trails at Point Pelee, i.e. no widening and no "improvements" (e.g. signage, benches.)

That is fair, although I haven't seen any abuse of those trails by others. Trails would need to be single footpath, not wide enough for benches and natural. Anything other than that (the high capacity trails, bike paths, etc) is quite the abomination in my mind. Too destructive.

While I completely agree that disabled birders should have as much birding habitat made accessible to them as possible I'm not sure they would endorse destroying it to make it so.

James.

While I completely agree that disabled birders should have as much birding habitat made accessible to them as possible I'm not sure they would endorse destroying it to make it so.

James.

This sums my thoughts well. Yes they are trying to sell that they will be reducing the past length, as a claim to make it seem like it will disturb less, but most of the paths here are literal for paths, about 1 foot wide. Their paths will be 3-4x this minimum. Minimising impact is always a joke as you have already decided what impact is acceptable to the development. Construction work in this city doesn't happen cleanly, on time, or quickly to boot.

The spit itself is quite accessible with an entire road running down it. And some nearby lookouts. You can't be worried about people feeling excluded because nature isn't 'accessible', that is a bit too far.

I still feel that this will do more damage than anything, especially the way things are done in this city. A

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back