• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nick patel (4 Viewers)

nick patel said:
other than me asking you lot where to see individual birds, how about if any of you want to know where any certain birds can be seen, i can tell you if i've seen them and where, and anything else!

I am after the following birds that i haven't seen in Britain
- Greater Yellowlegs
- Booted Warbler
- Isabelline Shrike

There's three to start with. Any info on the whereabouts of these would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Nick Smith

i'm sorry i don't know any places for any of these birds, you must be a much more experienced birder than me, i only started in jan/feb, but i am still on 164 birds, so far!

well i'm off birding to roddlesworth near darwen in the west pennine moors, be back on later. later on, why not check out my thread i am going to put up on the "todays birding" forum page, it'll tell you about what i saw at roddlesworth.

Hi Nick

Welcome to Bird Forum. I have also been looking for black redstarts around my city, Birmingham. I believe you will have a better chance of finding them in Manchester as I've found out that the population here in Brum has been seriously affected by the urban regeneration.

Good places to look are disused warehouses/factorys, railway lines and canals. They sometimes sing from high buildings so you may hear them rather than actually see one. They will be leaving breeding grounds very shortly, so hopefully we might both get to spot one on migration :) If not theres allways next year....

Check out www.blackredstarts.org.uk for more info. Specific info on where to spot is obviously very hard to come by for reasons mentioned above.

kstar

nick patel said:
does anyone know anything about the waxwings on stocks road in preston?

They were last seen on 5th January! ;)
Waxwings are winter visitors, wait a few months and with a bit of luck there might be some more in your area.

Barn Owl: Martin Mere in winter
Avocet: Martin Mere or Leighton Moss in Summer
Seawatching: Starr Gate at Blackpool isn't bad
Black Grouse: Nowhere really, much better chance in Cumbria

RJElse said:
Barn Owl: Martin Mere in winter
Avocet: Martin Mere or Leighton Moss in Summer
Seawatching: Starr Gate at Blackpool isn't bad
Black Grouse: Nowhere really, much better chance in Cumbria

where abouts in cumbria is a good place for black grouse, and by the way i think marshside rspb, is the best place for avocet in the summer, you should try the sandgrounder's hide in the summer!

thanks for the info rjelse.

Wow, 164 in just a few months, pretty impressive. I am a very slow but keen lister and am on about the same as you and I've been birding for four years! Hope you enjoy your future birding, it is a fantastic hobby.
nick patel said:
I only started in jan/feb, but i am still on 164 birds, so far!

Crazy Birder said:
Wow, 164 in just a few months, pretty impressive. I am a very slow but keen lister and am on about the same as you and I've been birding for four years! Hope you enjoy your future birding, it is a fantastic hobby.

thanks for those comments crazy birder, yes it is a great hobby, and i'm glad you like my number.

i was wondering, does anyone know if any of the following places are worth going to and if so, how do i get to them and what dorts of birds they give host to?
inner marsh farm, frampton marsh, sandbach flashes.

also if there are any fylde bird club users, or anyone who lives in the fylde or goes to the fylde frequently, where is the best place for barn owls in the fylde, because i have tried looking for them in the places where they have been seen on fylde bird club, e.g. higher/lower ballam, peel, warton bank, etc. but have had no luck so far.

does anyone who uses fylde bird club, know where abouts in mythop the green sandpipers are found, i know there are 2 ponds in the area, one little one on a farm, which i checked and saw several snipe and other birds, and there is a much bigger pond also on a farm but more enclosed, just off the road, which i haven't checked yet, can anyone help me with this?

nick patel said:
i was wondering, does anyone know if any of the following places are worth going to and if so, how do i get to them and what dorts of birds they give host to?
inner marsh farm, frampton marsh, sandbach flashes.

Inner marsh farm is on the dee esturary, its a Members only RSPB reserve. even if you are not a rspb member, a visit to the dee esturary is always worth it. http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/

This may help with sandbach flashes http://www.secos.freeuk.com/page9.html

Last edited:
Anthony Britner said:
Inner marsh farm is on the dee esturary, its a Members only RSPB reserve. even if you are not a rspb member, a visit to the dee esturary is always worth it. http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/

I cant help any more though. at least not yet.

thanks for the great info. if there's anything else you want to post for me, please can you post it on my lancashire local patch thread, shown below, thanks.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=65019

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back