• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjar - Tanzania (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!
Not sure if this one is identifiable - photographed in Serengeti in December
Was sitting on a dirt road at around 6am
Thanks

Attachments

• 1E6A3757.JPG
    1E6A3757.JPG
    746 KB · Views: 59
Given location and tail-pattern, the options seem to be montane nightjar, freckled nightjar and (maybe) plain nightjar. I don't think I'd rule out freckled nightjar on the basis of this soft-focused photo as the plumage details may well not show up. Its tail seems to be graduated which I can't reconcile with any option - unless it's just moulting.

Not sure. Montane/Abyssinian?
Not recorded in Serengeti, usually at higher elevations
The lowland counterpart which is very similar is Fiery-necked Nightjar, recorded in Serengeti, but should have visible rufous collar. Perhaps not visible due to low quality of the photo

Given location and tail-pattern, the options seem to be montane nightjar, freckled nightjar and (maybe) plain nightjar. I don't think I'd rule out freckled nightjar on the basis of this soft-focused photo as the plumage details may well not show up. Its tail seems to be graduated which I can't reconcile with any option - unless it's just moulting.
Plain Nightjar is not the list on eBird either
Possible options are Fiery-necked, Square-tailed, Slender-tailed, Swamp, Freckled, Sombre Nightjars

Possible options are Fiery-necked, Square-tailed, Slender-tailed, Swamp, Freckled, Sombre Nightjars
Square-tailed nightjar and slender-tailed nightjar have (apparently) entirely white tail-sides, unlike the OP's bird.
Dusky/sombre nightjar should indeed have been on my list of options (y)

Square-tailed nightjar and slender-tailed nightjar have (apparently) entirely white tail-sides, unlike the OP's bird.
Also, don't forget the recent lumps of ruwenzorii etc into Montane/Abyssinian. Without checking, perhaps the clue's in the name (Montane)

I think the tail-sides are key here, that's why I thought of Fiery-necked:). Some looks good

Why not European Nightjar of the central Asian ssp sarudnyi? Especially as it looks rather long-winged

Last edited:
Why not Europeab Nightjar of the central Asian ssp sarudnyi? Especially as it looks rather long-winged
Interesting, I was thinking of the nominate European Nighjar but dropped the idea because of a very plan coloration, ssp sarudnyi and even plumipes/unwini should be much "sandier"

And excellent link, thanks!

Not saying the bird looked like this, but maybe better exposed, interesting and frustrating group when not calling

Attachments

• 1E6A3757.JPG
    1E6A3757.JPG
    696.3 KB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back