• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 12X40 E (1 Viewer)

Mikbul

Mikbul
Arrived from Japan today in nice cond., like a 10X35 E but MORE POWER & wide field eyepieces! Funny, same weight as the 10X35 (22 oz)?? That's light for a 12X!
I could have used these two weeks ago on some birds that wouldn't come close.
The rubber eye pieces were crap but I had a pair of TV 19mm panoptic caps that fit nicely (folded down in photo)

12X40- 3.3mm exit pupil
5.5* FOV
66* apparent FOV!

Attachments

• 12X40.jpg
    12X40.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
And they fit nicely in my unused 10X35 Eii case so I don't have to buy one.

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 3
I had the last iteration of this, the "C" with the latest multicoating and found it was a great package: nimble, powerful and the image was really nice and sharp. They were incredibly light, the only thing to look for if you wear spectacles is the shallowish eye relief (at least in my 12x40 "C"). Later on I had the Monarch 5 12x42, also a very light and nimble binocular, going by memory (I know, the last thing you should do) I reckon the Monarch suffered from more CA than these.

Awesome power in a light body! Trying to decide if I should keep these or my 10X35? Views are just like the 10X35 but more mag.
I liked these enough to spend $200 getting them cleaned & lubed to new condition. But a few months later, I forced myself to cull the herd and sold them to a friend.

I decided the 10x35 E2 is my choice to fill the daytime/birding high power niche. Seems like I prefer 7-8x for birding and only 10x under certain situations (like winter seabirds). Still, the value on these can't be beat if you need a 12x. Super light weight 40mm binoculars, the most comfortable grip you could possibly have IMO.

I like the way the E's are 2-3 ounces lighter than the E-C's. For my use, that was just as important as any difference in the coatings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back