• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32 SE Chinese Clone (1 Viewer)

brocknroller

porromaniac
United States
I was hoping that Nikon would resurrect the discontinued 8x32 SE to celebrate its 100th Anniversary in 2017, but that never happened. Nikon did make a 100th Anniversary Edition 8x30 E2, which is both superb to look through and look at. Well done!

My hopes for a new SE were dashed until I saw an announcement on Cloudy Nights by LA Pat (Surveyor) about a new 8x32 SE Chinese clone. It has twist-up eyecups, ED glass, a larger central focuser, but otherwise looks a lot like the original Nikon SE. Unlike the original, it weighs as much as my 8x42 EDG—28 oz.

Can Kunming Yunnan, Oberwerk’s Chinese partner, actually produce optics that match the legendary Nikon SE for only $249? If so, then I’m going to believe in Santa Claus again. :)

Here’s the new 8x32 SE (Special Edition, not Superior E):

8×32 SE - Oberwerk

Brock

From the photos it looks like an 8x40 with stopped down objectives.

If this is so the performance may be good, but at the cost of weight.

It will be interesting to see if the proposed 10x42 is similarly perhaps a stopped down 10x50.

Regards,
B.

According to the reviewer (Fiske), the initail daylight views were very encouraging regarding the lack of chroma. A slight amount with a slow dropoff in edge definition from a broad sweespot. Results encouraging if not necessarily Nikon SE class. Pat

For $249, I'm not expecting the OB SE have as high quality optics as the SE, but the fact that Kevin is trying to recreate a porro classic, makes this devotee of Ignazio Porro pleased :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back