• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x42 EDG, ships from Japan, CAD 2,747.78 - Expensive? (1 Viewer)

Nikon USA customer service has always sucked. Nowadays it sucks worse. Dries method should fix you up.
Jonny, it seems you have no experience with Nikon optics or their service. Why do you still like to complain. (n)
You are just one to ignore, all the way around.
Jerry

This has been my only disappointing experience with Nikon binocular service. I sent a pair of Monarch 7 binoculars to them, last year, for repair of the diopter mechanism. They did a great and fast repair. Later, I sent an older pair of Monarchs to them to replace the metal eye cup.

The model was discontinued and the part was unavailable, so they offered me a voucher for any camera or other optic for sale on their website up to $835 in value. Those binoculars only cost me about $300. So I used the voucher for an $800 camera that I like very much.

So, it was not until this problem with the, now discontinued EDG binoculars, that I had any difficulty with them. I will repair them, myself, rather than send them to Nikon for service given the chance that they will not be able to repair them and that I will have paid for shipping and insurance for nothing. I will save that option for a possible problem in the future that I do not think I can repair, myself.

Foe all who have the EDGs continue to enjoy them, I know I am.
I certainly never had any problems with mine and I get the impression the 8x42 is even better optically (I had the 7x42); even the objective caps fitted perfectly despite this being something often found below par in other examples. Best focuser ever. I sold but only as I had other 7x42s and felt if service was ever needed they would be better backed up.

Tom

FYI, the following EDGs continue to be produced in Japan.

The following products are discontinued

I too am a fan of EDG 8x42.

When I got my EII from Kyoei Osaka, I saw that new EDG 42s were also still available for around $1200. I suppose Nikon could still service them but only if sent back to Japan?

When I got my EII from Kyoei Osaka, I saw that new EDG 42s were also still available for around $1200. I suppose Nikon could still service them but only if sent back to Japan?
Maybe Nikon only ones manufactures the EDG in very small numbers?!
Here in Germany there are almost no new EDGs anymore, very rarely used ones, even rarer demo devices.

At best, direct purchases from Japan.

Andreas

FYI, the following EDGs continue to be produced in Japan.

The following products are discontinued

I too am a fan of EDG 8x42.
That’s a really long model run for the EDG… I’m wondering if they made any transmission and/or coating tweaks over the last few years.

So why is it almost impossible to find them in Europe anymore, does Nikon only make them for Japan?
And why is there a lack of spare parts everywhere if the parameters are still being manufactured?
I thought Nikon had already discontinued the whole EDG line?!

Andreas

Ummm, it is true that Nikon's direct sales site for Japan is currently out of stock of the EDG line. Perhaps they are focusing their domestic production capacity on the HG line.

When I visited Nikon's Tokyo Service Center last month and asked about the status of EDG maintenance, I was reassured by their comment that there are no restrictions on maintenance service content or maintenance parts.

When I visited Nikon's Tokyo Service Center last month and asked about the status of EDG maintenance, I was reassured by their comment that there are no restrictions on maintenance service content or maintenance parts.
Hello oyama,

that seems to be completely different here in Europe and especially in America, here there are no longer any spare parts for some models.

I still don't really understand it, does Nikon now only produce the EDG in very small numbers or will production for the said models be ramped up again?
There were never really that many EDGs here anyway, but the market is practically empty at the moment.
It would be nice if Nikon continued to produce the EDG, I really like the binoculars, but the diopter could be improved.

Andreas

But not surprisingly the EDG:s are made in China now.
What in China, no longer in Japan?

I would really hate to buy such expensive binoculars if I couldn't be sure they could be repaired, that's why I sold my 7x42 EDG, now I only have the 8x32.

Andreas

What in China, no longer in Japan?

I would really hate to buy such expensive binoculars if I couldn't be sure they could be repaired, that's why I sold my 7x42 EDG, now I only have the 8x32.

Andreas
Yes, according to the dealer site they are now made in China. I doubt they would put that on the website if it weren't the case. Nikon haven't much camera lens production left in Japan either unfortunately. Only the most expensive stuff.

I really liked the EDG 32mm, perfect size and ergonomics.

Last edited:
Yes, according to the dealer site they are now made in China. I doubt they would put that on the website if it weren't the case. Nikon haven't much camera lens production left in Japan either unfortunately. Only the most expensive stuff.
Thank you... ;) I did not know that.

Andreas

Edit: Oh yes, now I've found it too, that makes a possible purchase even more unlikely for me...

One more thing, the retailer states a shipping time of 2-4 weeks, which means that they first have to be ordered in China and guarantee only 5 years. I can hardly imagine that many of them are sold and not for this price.

Last edited:
Take a look at the website carefully, it says the 8X42 is made in Japan. ( I always never liked this website, personally I would never order from them). I really think that Nikon only made these in Japan, and no more are made. The residuals are being sold from dealers on the bay in Japan. The numbers are being reduced.

Take a look at the website carefully, it says the 8X42 is made in Japan. ( I always never liked this website, personally I would never order from them). I really think that Nikon only made these in Japan, and no more are made. The residuals are being sold from dealers on the bay in Japan. The numbers are being reduced.
Yes it doesn't seem to be a serious description that 8/10x42 Japan, the 10x32 again China.

In fact, I don't think Nikon is sticking with the EDG either.

Andreas

I really liked the EDG 32mm, perfect size and ergonomics.

I like both the MIJ 10x32 and 7x42 EDG II both bought used several years ago. More like Leica than Leica to paraphrase Tobias Mennle.

Mike

Yes it doesn't seem to be a serious description that 8/10x42 Japan, the 10x32 again China.

In fact, I don't think Nikon is sticking with the EDG either.

Andreas

Possibly an error somewhere here, but if to buy I would be sure check they are still made in Japan..

Found a new 10x32 EDG on sale for 1700€, a bit tempting, even more so if it would have been an 8x, I'm not 10x person.

Found a new 10x32 EDG on sale for 1700€, a bit tempting, even more so if it would have been an 8x, I'm not 10x person.
As long as the framework conditions are not clearly clarified, I would not buy an EDG again.
Do they actually only have a 5-year guarantee and what happens in the event of a defect, do I have to be satisfied with an MHG?

There are just too many ambiguities, nothing for me.

Andreas

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back