• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D50 work with a Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 300 X3 converter? (1 Viewer)

creeek

I recently bought from Ebay a "Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 300 X3 converter" and expected it NOT to auto focus.

My question is: should it auto meter? I think there is a fault, as it ONLY works in fully manual mode, where I have to guess and set the aperture and Speed. (what use is that!!!?)

Is this right? Anybody got this combination, or anybody got a 1.4X or 2X converter versions, as they are all the same, except the light loss and magnification factor.

Thanks,
Mick

re...Kenko

...I use the Kenko x1.4 and the x2 on a Sigma 400mm Apo Macro (prime)... both work very well.... It depends on your lens... TC's are not really recommended for zoom lenses although they do work. Much better speed and quality on a prime tho'.

If you've got a 'standard' 70-300 lens then I would think that a x3 would not work at all - manual only... Put it back on eBay and go for a x2

creeek said:
I recently bought from Ebay a "Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 300 X3 converter" and expected it NOT to auto focus.

Last edited:
creeek said:

My question is: should it auto meter? I think there is a fault, as it ONLY works in fully manual mode, where I have to guess and set the aperture and Speed. (what use is that!!!?)

Is this right? Anybody got this combination, or anybody got a 1.4X or 2X converter versions, as they are all the same, except the light loss and magnification factor.

Thanks,
Mick
What are the symptoms when not using manual exposure mode? There seems to be some compatablility problems around at the moment with new Kenko tc's and some Sigma lenses... usually seen by constantly flickering exposure settings, as if the camera can't make up its mind on what exposure to use for the shot.

It should meter o.k. and I suspect an old non 'DG' type would work.

What lens is it?

cheers,
Andy

It meters OK, and autofocuses with fast lenses (f/2.8 of faster).
When used with a fast lens, such as the 85/1.4 or the 50/1.4 it creates very interesting "dreamy" soft effects. See the sample attached taken with the 50/1.4.
With longer lenses - a prime lens is recommended, even though I got decent results from zoom lenses too. You got to stop down at least one stop for good sharpness. A tripod is a must, and when using lenses with a maximal aperture smaller than 2.8 you got to focus manually. Metering and VR (if available on the lens) function well.

Attachments

• DSC_4304f.jpg
    DSC_4304f.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 213
Hi, thanks for replies.
The syptoms are that the LCD display shows "F--" and the shoot button has no effect, until 'manual' is selected. I am using the supplied DX lens, a 18-55 and a 55-200mm. Both are the same. I have tried it on a Tamron 28-300mm and that is the same.
It DOES look like I have bnought a 'dud', good old ebay! :()

Try to clean the electric connectors on the TC. Sometimes they develop an oxidation layer or just dirt that does not allow to create a "conversation" between the lens and the camera. A bit of alcohol (not beer!) or a rubber eraser can help. Just be careful not to spill liquid into the TC or let the rubber dust fall into it.

YOU LIFE saver!!!!! (Yossi)

I am a bit of an idiot.... ;) I suppose, I thought that I couldnt be so lucky for it to be so simple, but is was!

The laugh is, I am more of electronics expert than a photographic! So it should have been obvious. The contacts looked fine, nice golden, tarnish free. I thought, what have I to lose, so I cleaned the contacts with beer.... (joking) I used an eraser (done this hundreds of time bewfore but not on this camera!) and I connected the lens.... and it WORKED!!!!!!! fantastic all OK

So I can CONFIRM, the D50 WORKS fine with the X3 convertor on P, S or A mode. I will try it tomorrow in full daylight!

Lovely :)

Hi, just thought I would update....
I have now sold the *3 teleconverter back on ebay!
The main reason is because it wouldnt auto-focus. I have found this to be quite important.
So......I bought myself a Tamron AF LD 200-400mm, it is a beauty!!!!!!! paid £160 and I am very pleased with it, F5.6 hunts a little on the auto-focus, but it works!! May consider a 1.4 or *2 converter for it. (so long as auto-focus works)

But, I think i need a GOOD, sturdy tripod, as I tried taking a picture with the *3 AND the 400mm and the whole thing moved even when I used an infra red remote! Had to prop the front of the lens. (it is a beast!) :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back