• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D80 - Kowas TSN-PZ - 883 - Problems (1 Viewer)

greg g

Well I tried Digiscoping for the first time this weekend without much success, there were a couple of problems that I do not know how to try and correct.
First a Nikon D80 with a 50mm lens, the light meter works when looking thru the camera lens as one unit but when the camera/lens is attached with a TSN-DA10 adapter to a Kowa 883 with a 30mm eyepiece the light meter will not work. I took practice pictures at ISO 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600 and can see the object. The picture light reading will work at the 100-200 but washes out at the higher ISO's. What would be the next step?
The view is thru the camera eyepiece and not thru the LCD screen and the focus was with the scope focus knob.
Second when I attached a TSN-PZ zoom adapter directly to the camera without a camera lens and then attached to the 883 scope without an eyepiece, the camera would not take a picture. The bayonet end was engaged into the camera but the camera shutter would not click while taking a picture. What would be the next step?
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Greg

With the PZ adapter, did you switch the D80 to Manual? Any other mode such as Automatic, Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, or any of the Scene modes will not work.

Rick

Yes, try the camera's Manual mode as well as Manual focusing. You may also find that only certain f/stop and shutter speed combos work.

RJM and Wings,
Thanks for the input. I switched the camera to manual and now the camera works with the scope and TSN-PZ zoom adapter. The camera also works with the 50mm lens mounted with TSN-DA10 adapter on the zoom eyepiece. I now need lots of practice to get clear pictures, sunshine would be a nice add.
Happy Holidays!!!
Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back