• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Fieldscope ED50 Separates (1 Viewer)

Passakorn

I notice this evening that there is a small split between the top and the bottom part of the Nikon Fieldscope ED50 (angle model). All of a sudden the darn thing separates. I notice that the plastic receiver that takes the bolts is broken. The problem is that I don't know how to put these 3 screws back as they seem to have to be put in from the top. This surprised me quite a bit as I baby them (never bangs or drops). As I bought it from Amazon Japan (living in Thailand now), I am not sure about the warrantee. It is about 2 years old and will be a hassle to send it back and forth.
Could anyone please suggest how could I put the screws back and secure them?

The funny part was that I was about to ask the forum about the upgrade route from this 50ed. I guess it punishes me for that idea.

Thank you so much,

PassakornS__11894787.jpg

Attachments

• S__11894796.jpg
    S__11894796.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 70
  • S__11894790.jpg
    S__11894790.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 70
  • S__11894792.jpg
    S__11894792.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 71
  • S__11894793.jpg
    S__11894793.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 69
  • S__11894794.jpg
    S__11894794.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 68
  • S__11894795.jpg
    S__11894795.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 62
Oh dear, serious problem! This is a known issue with this scope; sorry I can't offer any advice other than just to remove any loose/broken parts so they don't rattle around & cause more problems, give it a good clean with a blower brush and carefully glue the two halves back together! It is likely that it won't be waterproof afterwards and the nitrogen purging has definitely failed. I think the warranty is only a year for this model anyway? Good luck!

RB

I notice this evening that there is a small split between the top and the bottom part of the Nikon Fieldscope ED50 (angle model). All of a sudden the darn thing separates. I notice that the plastic receiver that takes the bolts is broken. The problem is that I don't know how to put these 3 screws back as they seem to have to be put in from the top. This surprised me quite a bit as I baby them (never bangs or drops). As I bought it from Amazon Japan (living in Thailand now), I am not sure about the warrantee. It is about 2 years old and will be a hassle to send it back and forth.
Could anyone please suggest how could I put the screws back and secure them?

The funny part was that I was about to ask the forum about the upgrade route from this 50ed. I guess it punishes me for that idea.

Thank you so much,

PassakornView attachment 1426053

Rotherbirder has it exactly right.
Sadly a known weakness of this model. so inherently makeshift repair is all that is possible afaik.
The 50 and 60mm Leupold Gold Ring scopes were more solidly built, I've read, but I've no experience with them.

Yes, we feel your pain and as noted already, we've seen this before. The Achilles heal of the ED50. An unfortunate design.
The good news is that if you can clean it up and glue it together (perhaps also wrap it with gaffer or other tape to bind it together), everything should line up and the performance should be restored, apart from the N purging. The scopes I've seen stuck back together don't seem to suffer in optical quality.

--AP

Thank you so much for all suggestions. Today I glue it with epoxy and wrap it with the duct tape. I test it and seems to work ok for now.
I will be looking for another midsize scope and will ask in the forum.

thank you again for all of your helps,

Passakorn

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back