• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nippon Kogaku and Ednar binoculars (2 Viewers)

ZiggyK77

United States
Hello,

I am trying to find out more information and the possible value of two pairs of binoculars that I have recently received. The first one is a Nippon Kogaku Mikron 6x30, 274609. It has a leather strap and a red felt-lined leather case. The second one is an Ednar 7x35, 0593, Japan HT. I am the third generation owning the Nippon pair. It is not in the best condition, but still very useable. The Ednar pair was my father's, but still believed to be relatively old and in similar condition. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMGP4819.JPG
    10.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMGP4825.JPG
    11.3 MB · Views: 20
They probably need cleaning and possibly recollimation, so maybe no commercial value.

But if in good condition, maybe £20 for the Ednar and £50 for the Nikon.

Regards,
B.

I just broke them down and cleaned the prisms and lenses. A much brighter and less hazy view, but still not pristine. I am happy and can live with it, considering it is from around the 50s. I also found a lot of beach sand in the threads of the Ednar pair.
Thank you for the info!

Now, it will certainly need to be recollimated. If you don’t know what you’re doing, you certainly don’t go inside.

Now, it will certainly need to be recollimated. If you don’t know what you’re doing, you certainly don’t go inside.
Done. The Kogaku was off and is still minutely off but in my tolerance level. The Ednar was almost unneeded of tweaking.

"... and is still minutely off but in my tolerance level."
Beautifully said; I wish more people would understand that physiology plays a major part in observing. Too many think any problem they encounter is related to the instrument.

“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice my attack it, ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is.”— Winston Churchill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back