• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nkon Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

scampo

Steve Campsall
For Sale: Nikon 60mm Spotting Scope

I detect a smidgeon of Nikon prejudice in this country fro some reason - but their optics have remained the choice of professional photographers for decades. So... do try the Nikon 82ED with 30 or 38x on a murky late afternoon and you'll be solidly impressed and when you look at the new sale offer from In Focus...

Last edited:
i'm very happy with my RAII angled, it's a very nice little lightweight and good value scope. Looking thru some of the "posher" models I cannot really see any substantial increase in performance for the additional £600 + you would end up paying.

scampo said:
I detect a smidgeon of Nikon prejudice in this country fro some reason - but their optics have remained the choice of professional photographers for decades. So... do try the Nikon 82ED with 30 or 38x on a murky late afternoon and you'll be solidly impressed and when you look at the new sale offer from In Focus...

I saw the InFocus offer: very appealing! That scope is on the list.

It's an interesting scope, the Nikon. My son has the Swarovski 65ED and the Nikon is the same dimensions (except for its objective lens, which is wider, naturally). Odd really for an 82mm scope. The Swaro zoom gives a somewhat wider field of view but is certainly no brighter, sharper or clearer (but definitely worth a good look if zooms are your prime lens).

Do let me know how you get on. Make sure to test them on a late murky afternoon! And do give the Opticron ES80 a try, too - could save you a packet.

If you have the patience for the long delay as their web page loads (-: you will find that they advertise both straight and angled with the 38x lens for a mere £599-00. If this is the same as the 38x I tried it is a magnificent wide angle.

scampo said:
If you have the patience for the long delay as their web page loads (-: you will find that they advertise both straight and angled with the 38x lens for a mere £599-00. If this is the same as the 38x I tried it is a magnificent wide angle.

seemed a good buy for Leif. Never have a problem with their web page at work!!

Last edited:
pduxon said:
Have Warehouseexpress got any of 78eds left?

Hiya Pete - yes they still have some

despite not being a fan of big scopes I couldn't believe it and got one from there for £389 (incredible!) They are currently £449 - with a 30x or 38x eyepiece that £599 tops - you can get sec. hand eyepieces too.

The price I paid for scope and eyepiece was less than the price for one sec. hand from in focus currently advertised.

They are short as well and not really that heavy.

Scampo - i think you're right about a Nikon bias in UK, maybe people just following the herd I don't know. Even when I never had Nikon I always recognised them as (for me anyway) the best glass/coatings, if not the most watertight gear.

As an ex-marketing man, I ought to understand it, but what with their undoubted ascendancy in the photo field, it is a little odd - especially as by any objective reckoning they are as good or better than the top competition; and they are good value, too. Perhaps it was their expensive and very heavy bino of a few years back that didn't help? I remember rave reviews but when I held a pair, phew (and ~£1200 a pair, if I recall)!

scampo said:
As an ex-marketing man, I ought to understand it, but what with their undoubted ascendancy in the photo field, it is a little odd - especially as by any objective reckoning they are as good or better than the top competition; and they are good value, too. Perhaps it was their expensive and very heavy bino of a few years back that didn't help? I remember rave reviews but when I held a pair, phew (and ~£1200 a pair, if I recall)!

Sadly I am only prepared to shell out that sort of money for something that I can examine in the flesh BEFORE I hand over the thick wad of wonga to the grinning salesperson. After all, it might have a feature I do not like, or the unit I am sent might be a lemon and yet within quality control limits. It's too big a risk.

You would think that because Nikon are a fairly big company, they would have more to invest in research into coatings and production techniques. And yet Leica and Swaro (and maybe Zeiss) still hold a strong grip on the top end of the market.

Surprising final comments, Leif - I have never seen any comment on Nikon's coatings, etc. that has suggested they are in any way lacking. At a photographic level they are the undisputed leaders and I'm sure that their technology is at the forefront.

If you compare the Leica Apo77 with the new Nikon ED82 you'll have a surprise in store if you expect to see the Leica running away with the honours.

Here are some recent quotations from reviews on Nikon binos and scopes in which Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski were all also tested:

"The testers were pleased by the optical performance, rating them as 'optically excellent' with a bright, clear image with a real '3D quality'. Very good field of view and depth of field, and good close-focus."

": Like its 42mm big brother, this was rated 'excellent', being bright with good contrast, wide field of view and 'rich colours "

"As with other Nikon products I've tested, the optical performance of the ED82 A was faultless and it performed outstandingly in the gloomy conditions around dusk."

"In very poor light, the Nikon maintains its performance better than the Kowa and Swarovski..."

"Optically, near faultless "

"All in all, the new Nikon Venturer LX 8x32s clearly set a new standard in mid-sized roof-prism glasses, replacing the Leica 8x32s as the BVD Reference Standard in their class."

true, i was amazed Scampo
seemed to beat the others hands down

I think people tend to buy what they see others with or what is very expensive (if possible) as there is the easy assumption to make that they are the best quality
I always remember trying some 8x30 Nikon porros that were about £200 and I couldn't believe how good they were.

I read that the guy who owns Ace Cameras uses Nikon porros and swears nothing but nothing can beat them optically. When I first became keen on this hobby Leica and Zeiss held sway with Nikon coming third overall in popularity. Recently Swarovzski have learned the tricks of the trade and amazingly pushed Zeiss away from the very top slot with Leica. But Nikon remain with a very faithful band of followers and in the US are considered the best with a very few others.

scampo said:
Surprising final comments, Leif - I have never seen any comment on Nikon's coatings, etc. that has suggested they are in any way lacking. At a photographic level they are the undisputed leaders and I'm sure that their technology is at the forefront.

If you compare the Leica Apo77 with the new Nikon ED82 you'll have a surprise in store if you expect to see the Leica running away with the honours.

My point about Nikon bins was that they have not sold as well as Leica/Swaro/Zeiss. The quality is there: to my eyes the Nikon 8x32 HG is much brighter than the Leica 8x32 BN, and I suspect this little bin is creating a reputation for Nikon among birders. The 8x42 HG is nice, but as you say it is a bit heavy. The Nikon 8x32 SE is outstanding.

I would disagree that Nikon are the undisputed leaders in photographic optics, but I'll stop there as such comments can start online fights!

BTW IIRC you bought your Nikon scope at InFocus who do not sell Leica, which leads me to ask if you compared it against the Leica APO 77 scope?

Over the years I have probably looked through more Leica scopes than any other, and, without doubt, the Apo77 was always going to be my first choice as it is such a brilliant scope. But an Apo62 at RSPB Minsmere had a sheered off locking pin locator and a s/h 77Apo at a local shop had a faulty clouded inner coating on its objective lens. Rightly or wrongly such things affected my view of Leica.

Also ergonomics count for me a good deal as I enjoy long walks, and the Nikon is an extraordinarily compact scope - the same length, would you believe, as the Swaro 65? Add to this a brighter objective lens, a wider zoom (25-75x) and equal optical excellence... and the fact that Nikon kit (the ED82 and 8x32HG) is used by a top Leicestershire birder whom I have always respected... and there you have it.

Last edited:
This thread has gotten a bit off topic, but I figure I'll throw my two cents (pence?) worth in. I've been a poor birder for about 40 years - only recently have I had money to spend on cameras, bins and scopes, and I've done just that! After much buying and selling I've settled on a TeleVue 85 Scope with REALLY wide angle Televue eyepieces (brilliant equipment but heavy!), three pairs of Nikon binocs (10x32 HG, 8x32 SE, 10x42 SE), Canon 1N body with L optics and Kodak/Canon 560 Digital body. So, pretty obviously, no brand loyalty. And sometimes (in my opinion) a used piece of pro gear is better than a new piece of consumer gear. Hence the Kodak 560 Body, which is a tank, and originally listed for more than my car, but is pro through and through and takes superb pictures. I recently saw people out in 'Owl Woods' eyeing my 10x42 SE's with some smugness while their red trade marks were clearly in view. But I bought those optics last because they are absolutely the best I have looked through (and light for a 42), porros or not. So, we all have our biases and some go overboard on brand loyalty, but if we go out birding and spend more time looking at the badges on the gear, then we have the wrong hobby.

Now if you want to get a different kind of look from the red-spot or green-rubber brigade wear all three binos at the same time with your scopes slung around your back.

Actually you could make them jealous by asking them to look through the bins - especially the 8x32 Nikons!

Last edited:
I bought the Nikon 60 Fieldscope III ED last year and LOVE it. At the time, Nikon's large scope (78) did not appear as well designed and was NOT waterproof. With the release of the 82 Fieldscope ED, all of the 78's shortcomings have been fixed. If I was buying today, this would be my choice (although I am quite content to continue with the 60). I'll also throw in a plug for an angled model. If you share your views at all, this will help tremendously.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back