• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL >=50 mm versions? (1 Viewer)

DRodrigues

Just remembered if Swarovski is planning a reply to Nikon WX50 within the 75th Anniversary?
As would be for birding, the introduction of IS would be welcomed... ;)

50mm NL's would be a lot smaller & lighter than the WX! We can hope but the prospects don't seem good for 50mm NL's, 50mm Zeiss SF's, 50mm Noctivids, 50mm EDG, etc.

Where did you get the information from? Are they still listed on the Swarovski website!

Andreas
Andreas, I have also been told this (by a Swarovski dealer). There will be no more x50 EL's manufactured, so once the current stock is gone, that's it. Only the x50's were mentioned, so I assume production of the x42's will continue for the time being.

I wonder if the big SLC's will be the next to be axed...

Andreas, I have also been told this (by a Swarovski dealer). There will be no more x50 EL's manufactured, so once the current stock is gone, that's it. Only the x50's were mentioned, so I assume production of the x42's will continue for the time being.

I wonder if the big SLC's will be the next to be axed...
Yes, I have now also received information that the 50mm. be set.

Let's see if Swarovski offers alternatives here.

The 56mm. are more classic hunting formats, at least here in Germany hunters are increasingly using night vision devices and thermal imaging cameras, there are enough offers of used 56mm.

Andreas

Also the 50mm EL's were priced very high - they were $3,000 here in the US when the 56mm SLC's were $2300....and that was before the latest increase. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who looked at that and chose the 56mm SLC

The top 42's are priced so high, I don't think we'll ever see 50mm version of SF's, Noctivids, NL's, etc. I'm guessing any larger models would be introduced as a different design to make a lower price point fit into the line. That's why 50mm SFL's would make sense. They wouldn't cannibalize the high-end 42mm birder market niche for these guys.

I was told last week buy a Swarovski dealer thats been selling Swarovski for 20 years that they are coming out with NL pure 10x52 and 12x52 this summer so I guess we will see if this is the case, that might be the reason behind the EL 10x50 being discontinued…

I was told last week buy a Swarovski dealer thats been selling Swarovski for 20 years that they are coming out with NL pure 10x52 and 12x52 this summer...
Should that be the case (which is pure speculation at this time), I venture to guess that we will see a distinct increase of used 12x42 NL's for sale, folks replacing it with the 12x52. That configuration will sell well, no doubt.

might be interested in a 12x50 at half price, to take a discontinued model off someone's hands...

Ho ho ho... in the weird world of collector-dom, prices are more likely to increase as soon as they are discontinued... even if x50 NLs are in the works, as their prices are likely to be astronomical (excuse the pun).

As spectacular as the view of the 12X42 NL is, I wouldn’t expect a 50 to be a lot better, somewhat brighter, maybe a little bit easier view, but also lot heavier, and a lot more expensive, I bought a 10X50 SV in 2015 thinking it would have a much superior view over my 10X42 SV, it didn’t take me long to realize I liked the 42 better overall.

A couple of interesting things to note here.

If you look back to the El for example Swarovski actually slightly increased the Fov between the '42 at 112m @1000 to the '50 at 115m @1000. You would generally associate a larger objectives with a narrower fov for a given magnification - especially in binoculars. Maybe this will also be the case with the NL '52?

The other thing is exit pupil's, obviously most go 32, 42, 50, 56 for full size binoculars. Zeiss has opened the door with the '54 ht and now Swarovski is (apparently) hitting the middle ground with a '52. In an 8x you will have a 6.5mm exit pupil, more than comfortable - I prefer 6 or above but in the 10x you still have a 5.2 mm exit pupil which is exactly what most people are used to- only 0.05mm less than an 8x42.

Interesting stuff, if you like this stuff anyway....

Last edited:
52mm and not 50? I like it! Would be fantastic astronomy binocular. My only concern would be the weight of it and obviously the cost. Thinking that's going to be north of $4000. You can get an incredibly nice high-end astronomy telescope for that kind of money. It's probably going to weigh close to the 10x56 SLC as well, if not more. I already prefer the 10x56 SLC to the 50mm EL's.

They'd probably have to take the 10x56 SLC off the market to sell the 10x52's to hunters or astronomers. Maybe they will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back