• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another review of the 8x40 SFL (1 Viewer)

b-lilja

Hi all,

I honestly have found some of the negativity and ramble by others on Lee's thread to be tiresome and counterproductive, so I'm posting a separate review here. Y'all may do what you will with it.

I pre-ordered a pair as soon as they were available. I received them about a week ago, so take these as initial impressions. However, I feel like I know enough now to state that for me, these are the best binoculars available on the market, at any price, for my own purposes. They are superb.

I will post my thoughts consistent with my previous reviews.

General
I am a decent but not stellar birder, and bird in different habitats. A lot of seawatch, woods, located in Pacific NW of US. Our winter light here is subtle and highlights color shift. For much of the year, wetness is a thing, as is condensation (substantially actually). I often bird from my bike, and shove my bins in my handlebar bag, as well as a field coat. I am tough on gear. I often carry my scope over my shoulder and will one hand bins - an important consideration.

Other bin experience
I own or have owned many great bins, and have looked through pretty much all alphas more than once, except for the Swaro SLC and the Nikon EDGs. To summarize some of my opinions (again based on my own needs):
Swaro Pures and NL: I haven't been able to get past the glare. It is a thing for me. I also think the Pures are ugly.
Zeiss SF: The color shift, which I complained about previously, kept me from keeping these. They definitely have some faerie dust sprinkled on them optically however. Do not understand why the diopter has detents - do foci have detents?
Leica 8x42 Noctivids: Always intrigued, but ultimately size and weight hold me off.
Bins I currently also own: Leica Uvid 7x42 and 8x20, 8x32BN, Swaro 7x21 Curios, Zeiss 8x42FL old coating (non current non red), Nikon 8x32SEs. Of these, the best overall are the Nikons. However, those are not waterproof, making them only useful about half the time.

View
The resolution is superb. It is best of all my bins, along with the Nikon SEs, and that is saying a lot. Contrast is very good. Saturation is not quite like a top Leica, closer to Nikon, which is to say neutral - and isn't that what we want? They lack a certain something - pop, microcontrast - that I get in red coated Zeiss including the Conquest HD, later FLs, and certainly SFs. On balance, however, I prefer the view the SFLs to these other red-coated Zeiss given the SFL's color fidelity.

Edge sharpness for me in bins is meaningless, short of a real problem. I care about edge sharpness in scopes, not bins. I move bins where I want to look, just like my eyes, which have terrible edge sharpness btw !!!

Speaking of, color fidelity is really excellent. Kudos to Zeiss for listening (?) and delivering truly excellent neutral colors. To me my SEs have had the most neutral, true to life color; the SFLs are similar, but with more light transmission and thus "lift" in the view.

Glare is not perfect but very good. I'm not troubled by it as I am by many Swaros.

I am not bothered by CA much, and don't really see it in these.

3d is very good; certainly it's no SE (nothing else is) but it's fine.

Eye relief excellent.

View overall is very, very fine. I will say - it is perhaps not quite as calm as my FLs and SEs, in terms of ease of view. I love my SEs in particular for their remarkable ability to deliver all day comfort - I used them for a week in the Steens and they were so good for that, minimizing eye strain. I am guessing these SFLs won't be like that, but not bad either.

Functional design

Well, let's just say these are wonderful bins functionally.

The light weight is amazing for the format. I realistically can one hand these with my scope over my shoulder, which is a major benefit (just too much with the 8x42 FLs with their bulk) The new Zeiss attention to backweighting is really nice, and helps stabilize the bin axially.

Layout is simple. I would prefer the focus at the back, but am not that troubled by its more forward location.

Let's talk about the focuser. It's fast, very fast. I like it - I am often birding at the shore and moving between distance and nearfield quickly. The speed does make the focus a little "tippy" ie you can overshoot - but I know from my Conquest HDs, with a similar quick focus, you just adjust. People have mentioned a stiff focus - mine is very fine, perfect - I wonder if these have already been addressed in factory (my serial is 52592xx). I also like the width of the focuser, it's a chunky little sucker.

Gription is great on both the body and focuser.

As someone with astigmatism, I deeply appreciate an easy diopter. My right eye tires quickly over the day, and I often need to adjust the diopter - hardly a set and forget sort of thing for me. And for heaven's sake - no detents on the diopter - noone should ever do that! None here thankfully. My favorite diopter is on the Curio, but the old standard on the right barrel works just fine.

Eyecups seem good. Clicks up and down. I might have added a couple clicks. Swaro still gets the eyecup award though.

I believe, but am not positive, that the harness eyelets are cast into the magnesium body, and not a plastic component that is part of an overall assembly. Assuming this, these might be my favorite eyelets ever, chunky and metal.

Main hinge tightness is perfect - pretty stiff and solid, but not overly so.

I have not tested the Lotutec, but assume it is like my Conquest HDs. I find hydrophobic coatings to be totally necessary here in the winter - more for condensation than anything - fogging bins are a thing. Keeps my FLs from being winter bins.

Apparent durability is just hard to judge. I gave my tough old Conquest HDs to a dear friend - those are my reference standard for toughness, along with my BNs, and to a lesser degree Uvids. These are simple, which is good. Looking into the objectives, the rubber/magnesium body does seem really thin relative to other bins, especially given the magnesium body is cast (I assume). Only time will tell if that's an issue. If I were going on an expedition for weeks/months on end and total toughness was needed, I'm not sure I'd take these, more likely a Leica or maybe an EDG based on what I've seen. But overall, I'm not worried.

I've run out of time tonight and will add more tomorrow - aesthetic design, plus brief comparos to my other bins. But overall - I've found my new core go-to's. I'm stoked!

Hi all,

I honestly have found some of the negativity and ramble by others on Lee's thread to be tiresome and counterproductive, so I'm posting a separate review here. Y'all may do what you will with it.

I pre-ordered a pair as soon as they were available. I received them about a week ago, so take these as initial impressions. However, I feel like I know enough now to state that for me, these are the best binoculars available on the market, at any price, for my own purposes. They are superb.

I will post my thoughts consistent with my previous reviews.

General
I am a decent but not stellar birder, and bird in different habitats. A lot of seawatch, woods, located in Pacific NW of US. Our winter light here is subtle and highlights color shift. For much of the year, wetness is a thing, as is condensation (substantially actually). I often bird from my bike, and shove my bins in my handlebar bag, as well as a field coat. I am tough on gear. I often carry my scope over my shoulder and will one hand bins - an important consideration.

Other bin experience
I own or have owned many great bins, and have looked through pretty much all alphas more than once, except for the Swaro SLC and the Nikon EDGs. To summarize some of my opinions (again based on my own needs):
Swaro Pures and NL: I haven't been able to get past the glare. It is a thing for me. I also think the Pures are ugly.
Zeiss SF: The color shift, which I complained about previously, kept me from keeping these. They definitely have some faerie dust sprinkled on them optically however. Do not understand why the diopter has detents - do foci have detents?
Leica 8x42 Noctivids: Always intrigued, but ultimately size and weight hold me off.
Bins I currently also own: Leica Uvid 7x42 and 8x20, 8x32BN, Swaro 7x21 Curios, Zeiss 8x42FL old coating (non current non red), Nikon 8x32SEs. Of these, the best overall are the Nikons. However, those are not waterproof, making them only useful about half the time.

View
The resolution is superb. It is best of all my bins, along with the Nikon SEs, and that is saying a lot. Contrast is very good. Saturation is not quite like a top Leica, closer to Nikon, which is to say neutral - and isn't that what we want? They lack a certain something - pop, microcontrast - that I get in red coated Zeiss including the Conquest HD, later FLs, and certainly SFs. On balance, however, I prefer the view the SFLs to these other red-coated Zeiss given the SFL's color fidelity.

Edge sharpness for me in bins is meaningless, short of a real problem. I care about edge sharpness in scopes, not bins. I move bins where I want to look, just like my eyes, which have terrible edge sharpness btw !!!

Speaking of, color fidelity is really excellent. Kudos to Zeiss for listening (?) and delivering truly excellent neutral colors. To me my SEs have had the most neutral, true to life color; the SFLs are similar, but with more light transmission and thus "lift" in the view.

Glare is not perfect but very good. I'm not troubled by it as I am by many Swaros.

I am not bothered by CA much, and don't really see it in these.

3d is very good; certainly it's no SE (nothing else is) but it's fine.

Eye relief excellent.

View overall is very, very fine. I will say - it is perhaps not quite as calm as my FLs and SEs, in terms of ease of view. I love my SEs in particular for their remarkable ability to deliver all day comfort - I used them for a week in the Steens and they were so good for that, minimizing eye strain. I am guessing these SFLs won't be like that, but not bad either.

Functional design

Well, let's just say these are wonderful bins functionally.

The light weight is amazing for the format. I realistically can one hand these with my scope over my shoulder, which is a major benefit (just too much with the 8x42 FLs with their bulk) The new Zeiss attention to backweighting is really nice, and helps stabilize the bin axially.

Layout is simple. I would prefer the focus at the back, but am not that troubled by its more forward location.

Let's talk about the focuser. It's fast, very fast. I like it - I am often birding at the shore and moving between distance and nearfield quickly. The speed does make the focus a little "tippy" ie you can overshoot - but I know from my Conquest HDs, with a similar quick focus, you just adjust. People have mentioned a stiff focus - mine is very fine, perfect - I wonder if these have already been addressed in factory (my serial is 52592xx). I also like the width of the focuser, it's a chunky little sucker.

Gription is great on both the body and focuser.

As someone with astigmatism, I deeply appreciate an easy diopter. My right eye tires quickly over the day, and I often need to adjust the diopter - hardly a set and forget sort of thing for me. And for heaven's sake - no detents on the diopter - noone should ever do that! None here thankfully. My favorite diopter is on the Curio, but the old standard on the right barrel works just fine.

Eyecups seem good. Clicks up and down. I might have added a couple clicks. Swaro still gets the eyecup award though.

I believe, but am not positive, that the harness eyelets are cast into the magnesium body, and not a plastic component that is part of an overall assembly. Assuming this, these might be my favorite eyelets ever, chunky and metal.

Main hinge tightness is perfect - pretty stiff and solid, but not overly so.

I have not tested the Lotutec, but assume it is like my Conquest HDs. I find hydrophobic coatings to be totally necessary here in the winter - more for condensation than anything - fogging bins are a thing. Keeps my FLs from being winter bins.

Apparent durability is just hard to judge. I gave my tough old Conquest HDs to a dear friend - those are my reference standard for toughness, along with my BNs, and to a lesser degree Uvids. These are simple, which is good. Looking into the objectives, the rubber/magnesium body does seem really thin relative to other bins, especially given the magnesium body is cast (I assume). Only time will tell if that's an issue. If I were going on an expedition for weeks/months on end and total toughness was needed, I'm not sure I'd take these, more likely a Leica or maybe an EDG based on what I've seen. But overall, I'm not worried.

I've run out of time tonight and will add more tomorrow - aesthetic design, plus brief comparos to my other bins. But overall - I've found my new core go-to's. I'm stoked!
Very nice review!

Lee

Thanks b-! Always good to get additional reviews. And it's great if they support an already positive impression, yet with that special personal emphasis. Looking forward to your announced sequel.

Thanks for the interesting review.
I must admit to not having taken much interest in the SFL up to now, firstly because I don't place that much importance on a weight saving of 200 g and secondly because I suspect that the price for weight saving is an optical compromise.
The easiest way to save weight is to skimp on the prisms, which results in vignetting. Swarovski refer to the "Randpupille", which is the shape of the exit pupil seen at the edge of the eye lens just before it occludes, when you turn the binocular sideways at arm's length.
In addition to the size of the on-axis exit pupil, I suspect that this also plays a role in ease of view and both my 7x42 and 8x56 SLCs are very good in this respect showing 3/4 moon shaped exit pupils before they occlude.
An 8x30 CL Companion is less good and, despite its other qualities, an 8x33 Kowa Genesis shows almond-shaped exit pupils.
At the risk of sowing seeds of discontent, perhaps you could perform this test. :)

John

Thanks for the interesting review.
I must admit to not having taken much interest in the SFL up to now, firstly because I don't place that much importance on a weight saving of 200 g and secondly because I suspect that the price for weight saving is an optical compromise.
The easiest way to save weight is to skimp on the prisms, which results in vignetting. Swarovski refer to the "Randpupille", which is the shape of the exit pupil seen at the edge of the eye lens just before it occludes, when you turn the binocular sideways at arm's length.
In addition to the size of the on-axis exit pupil, I suspect that this also plays a role in ease of view and both my 7x42 and 8x56 SLCs are very good in this respect showing 3/4 moon shaped exit pupils before they occlude.
An 8x30 CL Companion is less good and, despite its other qualities, an 8x33 Kowa Genesis shows almond-shaped exit pupils.
At the risk of sowing seeds of discontent, perhaps you could perform this test. :)

John
I have to ask...does anyone use binoculars this way? Happy to try for you though if it makes you happy :).

I’m confused.

The diopter adjustment corrects for refractive differences between your two eyes. First I have heard of anything like you posted.

What did I miss?

I’m confused.

The diopter adjustment corrects for refractive differences between your two eyes. First I have heard of anything like you posted.

What did I miss?
OK, I am not an optician and I am probably faking it too much throwing around terms I only have a general understanding of. I'll explain my experience of my eyes. With my left eye I see decently at a distance, not so well close. With my right eye, I don't see great at either a distance or close. Over the course of the day, my right eye definitely gets worse than the left, ie tired.

In the past, I have used my binoculars, and the diopter, to correct for this. I find I need to adjust the diopter a lot, even every time I use bins, because the difference between my eyes seems to vary.

More recently, and even as I was comparing bins and resolution for this test, I really confirmed that using my glasses with bins definitely results in a better view than without. But that's not the point I was making previously.

Okay, well, I’m still confused, but I won’t pursue it any further.

I guess that in parting I can’t help wondering why you would ever use binoculars without your glasses.

Bottom line: I find I need to adjust my diopter frequently based on variable differences between my eyes. Thus I like a diopter that is easy to change, and even change with both eyes open. The SFL provides that.

Thank you for the review.

I actually got tired both reading and writing about the SFL last week - and I am sure some people are tired of reading my posts in the previous thread by Lee.

As for your eyes varying; I have the same phenomenon in the morning and therefore I rarely judge binos before my eyes "wake up". One of my eyes (not the dominant) feels like it is not as flexible in the morning so I usually sit with my coffee on the porch and look across the field at far distance and after a few minutes it "relaxes" but before that looking through a high powered bino can cause slight issues. Before I was adjusting the dopter settings on the binos but now I have them all at "0".

After an hour or so my vision (at longer distances) is excellent and stays that way until very late.

It does vary from day to day with my close range / book reading length and I am in a period where my eye sight has gotten better at near range so I have to flip up my progressive glasses every other day which is both a good sign - yet annoying.

As someone with astigmatism, I deeply appreciate an easy diopter. My right eye tires quickly over the day, and I often need to adjust the diopter - hardly a set and forget sort of thing for me.
There area several reasons why I like flat fields. One of them, which is relevant to what you said above, is that it's easier to adjust the diopter of binos with flat fields. For binos with significant field curvature you have to place the target exactly on axis when you adjust the diopter, otherwise you will compensate not only for the difference between your eyes but also for the field curvature.

For binos with significant field curvature you have to place the target exactly on axis when you adjust the diopter, otherwise you will compensate not only for the difference between your eyes but also for the field curvature.
Never came across that problem even though it seems logical of course. I guess I always center the view and the sweetspot is usually large genough. But I like flat field binos especially for astronomy -- mostly useful however if they have little tendency to black out when moving the eyes in the FoV instead of moving the bino. And one thing I noticed -- my vintage wide angles from the 70's with lots of field curvature have less tendeny to black out than modern flat field binos. I guess there is always a downside to every design tweak. Thats's why the vintage wide angles, despite their flaws like insufficient eye relief, still rank among my most favourite binos.

Thanks for the review btw -- I never get tired of reading about new binos.
One question though -- not sure I saw that being mentioned -- where is the Zeiss SFL made? Is it made in Germany? Europe? Japan?

OK, Part 2.

I do have several items to add to the previous part of the review.

I realized I have been holding these incorrectly (not that there is ever really a "correct") - thank you the Binomaniac for the video tip. Best to hold on the barrels, forward, so the focuser is turned by the index finger. Several things flow from this, of substantial consequence:
  1. The binoculars rest on the thumbs at the point of balance axially
  2. The focuser is easily turnable by the index finger
  3. Most critically, the bin rests on the eye sockets/glasses in a very stable way, substantially reducing jitter. Think of it as the functional equivalent of the moronic NL forehead rest, without being a total dweeb (sorry, but...no).
  4. The objective-wise hinge serves a strengthener to the focuser, additional mechanical stabilizer to collimation, and as a buffer between the other fingers holding the barrels and the focuser.
Also - meant to mention this focuses very closely. That is great. Doing a comparo, it made me realize a couple of my bins don't.

Aesthetic design

Bottom line: another Zeiss winner, maybe slightly above par. As a whole, there is nothing non-premium about these - these are alphas all the way in terms of being a lux item (and of course optically). A dino hide SLC this is not.

The SFLs are a very nice continuation of the Zeiss design language. I see design cues everywhere - the Conquest especially, but also the SF and HT (wish I could stretch to the FL but I'm not seeing it other than two barrels with lenses). The strap eyelets mirror the Conquest but I believe are magnesium. I have always loved the Zeiss barrel ridges; I think they are cool, slightly quirky, and functional - gives a little grab. They provide shadowlines and relief, and from the objective end, quirky, slightly ironic/Frenchy (?) eyebrows. The blend of exposed metal and nice rubber is lovely. The blacks just very slightly contrast - the metal full black, while the rubber is the darkest charcoal. In no way two tone, but subtle and well done (better than the Curio IMO). I like the interest provided by the angles around the focuser, a la the SF and HT.

All lettering/numbering is embossed. That is a nice touch.

The magnesium casting is very nice and well finished. I especially admire the mix of finishes, with heavier texture around the focuser, lighter by the eyepieces.

Probably my favorite element of the design is the exposed magnesium strip that runs inside the objective tubes. Neat, unusual, totally unnecessary, wonderful. Even the SF doesn't have this.

Blue Zeiss badge, I believe, is metal. I look forward to it patinizing like my FL's.

Minor nit: It would have been so awesome for the the old time stylized Zeiss "Z" on the outboard hinge, like the FL. What an homage that would be.

OK. I only have one thing I don't like, and I really don't like it. Why, oh why would this add the "Designed by Zeiss" note facing the owner every time the look at these? Mies would just tsk tsk this. What message is the Zeiss marketing department trying to give us? These are designed by Zeiss, but they're not real Zeiss? They're made in Japan, so they're not real Zeiss? Designed by Zeiss, but regarding everything else, all bets are off? When I see "designed by..." it is a backing away from, a lack of wholehearted ownership of the product. Indeed, it goes the other way at times...a product might be produced by xx and designed/engineered by yy. "made by Isuzu, handling by Lotus"...Sony cameras with Zeiss lenses...etc.

I find the quiet little "Made in Japan" script, not to brand font, in the most inconspicuous place possible, to be a cry for recognition.

Let's call this fabulous binocular what it is: fabrication by Kamakura, design by Zeiss. Credit given where due. The Japanese know how to make a binocular, and I guarantee their QC is way better too. Clearly, I adore the design of this binocular - but that little touch just is weird. I'm going for find something to cover it up.

OK, I got worked up - comparos to other bins later. Suffice to say, however, I'm willing to state - to me - this bin redefines excellence in birding binoculars. It might not be a major breakthrough in any one area, but just represents absolute excellence in the balanced state of the art. WELL DONE ZEISS, AND YOUR CONTRACT FABRICATOR.

Last edited:
Suffice to say, however, I'm willing to state - to me - this bin redefines excellence in birding binoculars. It might not be a major breakthrough in any one area, but just represents absolute excellence in the balanced state of the art…

Well, well, well ….. there sure is some enthusiasm in your wording.
I like the SFL quite a bit, but would not subscribe to your statement (even if printed in boldface).😉

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back