• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk: other insects (8 Viewers)

Which Andrena

I was told this was a Andrena Nigroaenea but i don't think so any idea anyone please .

Attachments

• IMG_4888.jpg
    IMG_4888.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 59
I was told this was a Andrena Nigroaenea but i don't think so any idea anyone please .

I'd agree with the original ID of Andrena nigroaenea. This is a male, many pictures on the web will be of females, which have dense buff hairs over the thorax, which might be why it doesn't look like pictures of this species you may have seen.

Bug

Saw this in the village yesterday first one i have seen a Cinnamon Bug ( Corizus Hyoscyami )

Attachments

• IMG_5612.jpg
    IMG_5612.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 53
Volucella inflata

For the third year running at Holt Country Park, yesterday.

This fresh specimen fed briefly in brambles in the NE edge of the car park.

Attachments

• 370psealt.jpg
    370psealt.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 58
Volucella zonaria

They're coming along like busses.

This so-called Hornet Hoverfly (aagghh !) was along the Sandy Wall at Strumpshaw RSPB, this afternoon.

Attachments

• 065pse alt.jpg
    065pse alt.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 50
***Wasp Spider***

I spied 'er on my patch (Gramborough Hill), this afters.

I never thought I'd find one of those there.

Note the silk-like, white spiral stabilimentum and prey.

Attachments

• P1500527pse.jpg
    P1500527pse.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 96
Arachnids abducted !

The web, the mature female spider and her toy boy of a ‘husband’ seem to have been removed - presumably by human/s.

That is the only explanation I can furnish, as there is no disturbance of the vegetation such as a dog or deer would make and the Wasp Spiderhunter is unknown in Europe.

I’m afraid I will no longer be providing timely news of interesting sightings - this will now be posted well after the event.

I’m afraid I will no longer be providing timely news of interesting sightings - this will now be posted well after the event.

That's a shame, although an understandable reaction.

I've never heard of spiders being removed from the wild in Norfolk before, although with a large well-patterned species I suppose it could happen. This species is thought to be cannabalistic, so that could explain the disappearance of the male! You note that the web was gone - is there any signs of the vegetation being cut? That is the only way I could imagine a human removing the whole lot en masse. If not then that may favour an avian predator perhaps?

Spider-napping has, happily, not occurred !

I was mistaken. She’s still there, but has moved about 0.5m to the west and more in the shade. If She'd been there originally, I'm not sure I'd've spotted Her.

Apologies, therefore, to all you non-spider-abductors out there.

No sign of the first web, though; suspect it was someone getting too close to it, in the attempt at a frame-filling shot of Her fangs.

Her ‘Aragog’ (name of Bruno, of course) is growing by the day (RH shot) and, thus, can’t be too long for this world !

Attachments

• P1500754pse.jpg
    P1500754pse.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 75
  • P1500744pse.jpg
    P1500744pse.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 75
I've been looking at little critters more lately and was pleased to find a Eupteryx urticae in the garden(followed by three more). Clearly they are a common little bug but a stunner none the less.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 50
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back