• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk, UK - Iceland Gull? (1 Viewer)

LaplandBunting

United Kingdom
Hi all,

Was driving near Kings Lynn, Norfolk on Friday and saw a large Gull take flight from a roadside field. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get more than a few seconds of continuous viewing but it strongly appeared from quite ideal views that the top of its wings were completely pale grey with no black edges as I would expect on a Herring Gull. Otherwise it was as I would expect a Herring Gull (maybe a slightly paler grey colour).

I know a few Iceland Gulls have been around the county recently but unsurprisingly they're all immature birds. It just got me thinking what's the chances of an adult Iceland Gull in Kings Lynn at this time of year - surely extremely unlikely, right? I'm just curious because it looked for all the world that there was absolutely no black on the upper wing of this bird.

Thanks for any comments (including those telling me it's surely just a Herring Gull I didn't see well enough).

Not ruled out at all - should have mentioned that. Was just working on the premise that hypothetically if this was a white-winged Gull it might be slightly more likely to be an Iceland Gull given that there are some around Norfolk at the moment but no Glaucs reported in southern England for a week or more.

Whatever it is I will never be sure, just testing possibilities and of course that includes Iceland, Glauc or who knows what else.

I'm not sure what there could be to tell you. If the bird was, in fact, precisely as you describe, then the ID is as you say. But you seem not to be certain - so...

Hi all,

Was driving near Kings Lynn, Norfolk on Friday and saw a large Gull take flight from a roadside field. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get more than a few seconds of continuous viewing but it strongly appeared from quite ideal views that the top of its wings were completely pale grey with no black edges as I would expect on a Herring Gull. Otherwise it was as I would expect a Herring Gull (maybe a slightly paler grey colour).

I know a few Iceland Gulls have been around the county recently but unsurprisingly they're all immature birds. It just got me thinking what's the chances of an adult Iceland Gull in Kings Lynn at this time of year - surely extremely unlikely, right? I'm just curious because it looked for all the world that there was absolutely no black on the upper wing of this bird.

Thanks for any comments (including those telling me it's surely just a Herring Gull I didn't see well enough).
I tend to find with, White wing gulls in flight, the wing tips seems to glow white, rather than just not have any black in if that makes sense, they are really obvious even with only a few seconds view!!

I tend to find with, White wing gulls in flight, the wing tips seems to glow white, rather than just not have any black in if that makes sense, they are really obvious even with only a few seconds view!!

Cheers Paul - I only have experience with juveniles so I will bear this in mind if I ever come across an adult in future...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back