• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sheringham - North Norfolk, UK (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone. I captured this Juvenile Gull this morning in North Norfolk. I'm still a bit new to this - I checked the ID book that I have, and I am thinking possibly Juvenile Great Black Backed Gull, or is it Herring? I am thinking the former due to closeness of the illustration, but would be grateful to borrow some expertise in confirming an ID. Thanks!

Attachments

• Gull.JPG
    Gull.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Herring gull, GBBG should have some black on the mantle, not pale grey such as this bird.
Also, it's technically not a juvenile but an immature (3rd calendar year ?). The term juvenile is normally restricted to the first complete plumage past the fledgeling stage ;)

Herring gull, GBBG should have some black on the mantle, not pale grey such as this bird.
Also, it's technically not a juvenile but an immature (3rd calendar year ?). The term juvenile is normally restricted to the first complete plumage past the fledgeling stage ;)
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back