• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northampton Uk Redpoll (1 Viewer)

Difficult to tell whether the overall apparent paleness is real or an artefact in this boc shot. Wing-bar doesn't appear very white but undertail coverts seem to have limited streaking. On balance I'd say Lesser, but an original pic would be easier to assess.

Difficult to tell whether the overall apparent paleness is real or an artefact in this boc shot. Wing-bar doesn't appear very white but undertail coverts seem to have limited streaking. On balance I'd say Lesser, but an original pic would be easier to assess.
I will get the original when able, but i can confirm the bird was very pale in real life, thats what got us onto it. There are plenty of much buffier redpolls here which are obvious lessers, but the photo bird was all on its own so couldnt make a direct comparison.

As promised, the original photo with no colour correction. Also we went back to the site a couple of days later and got a few more picture of the suspect birds (up to 2 mealies had been reported by others in the flock). Any thoughts on these?

Attachments

• P1640687.JPG
    P1640687.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
  • P1660800.JPG
    P1660800.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • P1660572.JPG
    P1660572.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • P1660646.JPG
    P1660646.JPG