• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northeast Phoenix, Arizona (1 Viewer)

uk2usa

Hello all,

I am hoping someone can help me ID this fellow.
This was taken December 20th at the Granite Reef Recreation Area of the Salt River.

Here is a description of the habitat:
"Mesquite Bosque forest, willows, and tamarisk surround this recreation area riverside, and the river itself is very wide and is almost lake like in most ways, especially at the very west end where Granite Reef Dam is located. Desert habitat surrounds the riparian and mesquite habitats."
Taken from http://www.birderfrommaricopa.com/granite-reef-recreation-area.htm

Thanks

Back and front images

Attachments

• Unknown1.jpg
    Unknown1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Unknown 2.jpg
    Unknown 2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Well it is quite greyish looking, that might help eliminate some possibilities ie willow and Cordilleran. It isn't grey flycatcher for a few reasons.

I think it is between dusky and Hammond's, I remember the distinguishing features but forget which applies to which species...It is quite round-headed and i don't remember whether this PP is distinctively dusky or Hammond's.

TL;DR help please.

Thank you for narrowing this down for me. I was leaning towards Gray Flycatcher, because of the habitat. My guide states for Gray then the lower mandible should be pinkish... This is where my slight color blindness causes problems!

Alex

No you guys are right it is a grey (gray). Oops. *insert excuses*

Someone remind me not to comment on flycatchers again, I don't look at the pictures for long enough.

Last edited:
Alex .... Here is a late November blog entry from a knowledgeable birder in the Phoenix area.

Scoll down a little to see his photos of the Gray Flycatcher. Looks like your bird to me. His were taken a few miles up river from your location. He discusses in the paragraph above the two photos how it can be difficult to Id but to look for the downward pumping of the tail.

http://desertwing.blogspot.com/2014/11/from-desert-to-lake.html

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back