• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern California Dowitcher (1 Viewer)

sirijay

Took this photo this morning near Oakland CA. Guessing Shirt-billed Dowitcher head/bill comparison, but unsure
Very much appreciate your help with ID. Thanks.Dowitcher.jpg

Bill length only works for a very few individuals, I don't know if yours is one.

I think this is a juvenile though, and so the patterned tertials make it a Short-billed.

Bill length only works for a very few individuals, I don't know if yours is one.

I think this is a juvenile though, and so the patterned tertials make it a Short-billed.
This is correct, although the bill length and shape of this one is firmly within the spectrum of Short billed and not Long billed. In this perfect side profile and excellent photo it is also showing a diagnostic perfect example of a loral angle that exemplifies the head shape of Short-billed Dowitcher and not Long-billed. In this example the most conclusive identifying mark is the plumage of this juvenile. It leaves zero doubt to the identification and further showcases this photo as a picture perfect reference for head shape and bill shape.

I spent some time recently trying to improve my dowitcher ID skills. Everything Tom Baxter just said makes perfect sense to me based on what I've been seeing/reading. Also, someone recently pointed out that Short-billed has a more flat-backed appearance and Long-billed "looks like it swallowed a grapefruit".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back