• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Flicker? (Y/N) (1 Viewer)

TGNWest

Supporter
United States
My wife and I were discussing this bird, I am pretty sure it is a Red Shafted Northern Flicker, but wanted to see if I could get confirmation that it is.

Attachments

• 0069 - Large Woodpecker.jpg
    0069 - Large Woodpecker.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
The mustache indicates that it's a male N Flicker. It's also called a Yellow Hammer. It's a beautiful bird. Nice pic, they don't stand still long.

I took this pic last month in Indiana.
20230122_102809-jpg.1492158

Last edited:
Regarding the initial post, it is just as you think, a Northern Flicker, and everything we can see suggests it is the red-shafted form: salmon-red in the wings and tail (rather than yellow), a gray face (rather than brown), a plain brown nape (rather than with a red band), and a red moustachial stripe (rather than black). The moustachial stripe indicates it is a male. Intergrades between the red- and yellow-shafted are common and widespread, and can seemingly combine any combination of features. Check the flickers you see carefully and you may well see one with some of the features of the yellow-shafted form.

Last edited:
Regarding the initial post, it is just as you think, a Northern Flicker, and everything we can see suggests it is the red-shafted form: salmon-red in the wings and tail (rather than yellow), a gray face (rather than brown), a plain brown nape (rather than with a red band), and a red moustachial stripe (rather than black). The moustachial stripe indicates it is a male. Intergrades between the red- and yellow-shafted are common and widespread, and can seemingly combine any combination of features. Check the flickers you see carefully and you may well see one with some of the features of the yellow-shafted form.
Are intergrades common in all areas, or is there an "intermediate" zone between the respective ranges in which one commonly finds intergrades but not elsewhere?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back