• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ireland Local Patch (1 Viewer)

Howdy Cock Robin - welcome to the forum.;)

Thank you for the warm welcome QuestionableCarrot.

Could anyone advise me as to where I might see Barnacle Geese in Strangford Lough?

Lots of Brent at Crawfordsburn Beach and in Groomsport Harbour at present and are surprisingly approachable due to the volume of dog walkers etc.

Thank you for the warm welcome QuestionableCarrot.

Could anyone advise me as to where I might see Barnacle Geese in Strangford Lough?

Lots of Brent at Crawfordsburn Beach and in Groomsport Harbour at present and are surprisingly approachable due to the volume of dog walkers etc.

HI Cock Robin nice to see you on the forum,
i don,t know about Barnacles at Strangford , but there has been 2 hanging around with greylags just north of Portmore Lough RSPB,also present are 3 Pink Foots and a Snow Goose

HI Cock Robin nice to see you on the forum,
i don,t know about Barnacles at Strangford , but there has been 2 hanging around with greylags just north of Portmore Lough RSPB,also present are 3 Pink Foots and a Snow Goose

Thank's mak3154, I shall try and get up there soon.
A friend reported a Snow Goose in Larne Lough recently. I had a look and found a very large white goose devoid of black markings with the exception of a black spot on its head! Hopefully I may see the one at Portmore Lough.

About 400 Golden Plover and 3 Dunlins at Groomsport yesterday.They are very approachable in the little bay just west of the village when the tide is ebbing.

great views of the GREAT GREY SHRIKE TODAY at Slievenacloy,also at Portmore Lough RSPB 1 Snow Goose, 2 Barnacle, 4 Pink Foot and a large flock of Golden Plover

went up on friday to see the great grey shrike what a cracker looking bird..got a few photos of it.not a great photo,as bird was far away,its one for the record though..
clicky below will take you to the photo.

Last edited:
Not bad at all Spyro - what a truly beautiful bird!

I spotted my first swallow yesterday along with a swarm of Tits 3 ChiffChaff and a Willow Warbler ( I think )
Also went to Clare Glen for a dander and heard much the same and saw Marks wonderful Dippers.

That shot is fab Mark!

went up on friday to see the great grey shrike what a cracker looking bird..got a few photos of it.not a great photo,as bird was far away,its one for the record though..
clicky below will take you to the photo.

nice couple of shots Alison, seen it on Saturday myself cracking bird, hope to call up tomorrow again for another glimpse
THANKS for the comment on my Dipper shot

Last edited:
I saw my first two House Martins for 2011 this afternoon, near where the Ballinderry River flows into Lough Neagh.

I saw 4 Tree Sparrows around there too!

N.B. House Martins haven't arrived with me, up on Knocklayd, North Antrim ... yet.

Cheers
Dick

Conlig reservoir

1 chiff chaff seen more singing
1 willow warbler seen at least 1 more singing
2 sand martin
1 swallow
1 buzzard

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back