• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ireland Local Patch (1 Viewer)

Springtime at Banagher Glen

Spring birds have arrived at Banagher Glen, Co Derry.

Wood Warbler, Willow Warbler, Crossbill, Siskin, but no Cuckoo today. Lower gate locked, but you may gain access to the glen on foot.

Richard.

Attachments

• Wood-Warbler-1.jpg
    Wood-Warbler-1.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Wood-Warbler-2.jpg
    Wood-Warbler-2.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Crossbill-1a.jpg
    Crossbill-1a.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Crossbill-2.jpg
    Crossbill-2.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Crossbill-3.jpg
    Crossbill-3.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 52
Great few days birding.
Had a cuppa out in the back garden last Friday with my dad and spotted a Kestrel hunting above our next door neighbours house. Then later in the afternoon on the same day spotted a Sparrowhawk hunting through the hedges at Derryhale. Sunday and Monday was spent at Peatlands Park where as usual I was disappointed (must be the most unlucky guy that goes) as usual but did get a glimpse of a Kestrel hunting near the car park.
Great weather its a shame its going to end soon.

P.S.

The people that deliberately started fires around Co Down should be hung, drawn and quartered. Just how many birds will have paid the price for this gormless and disgusting behaviour?

Great aerial display from a Peregrine harassing the Gulls and Terns at Cockle Island, Groomsport today. Two brave Terns followed the Peregrine to a considerable altitude before it finally gave up and flew off towards Bangor.

Great few days birding.
Had a cuppa out in the back garden last Friday with my dad and spotted a Kestrel hunting above our next door neighbours house. Then later in the afternoon on the same day spotted a Sparrowhawk hunting through the hedges at Derryhale. Sunday and Monday was spent at Peatlands Park where as usual I was disappointed (must be the most unlucky guy that goes) as usual but did get a glimpse of a Kestrel hunting near the car park.
Great weather its a shame its going to end soon.

P.S.

The people that deliberately started fires around Co Down should be hung, drawn and quartered. Just how many birds will have paid the price for this gormless and disgusting behaviour?

sorry you didn't get what you were looking for at Peatlands QC
as for the gorse fires ,i totally agree with you

couple of shots from the weekend, down at Oxford Isle

Attachments

• heron duplicate 2-2 resize.jpg
    heron duplicate 2-2 resize.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 44
Got a few photos up on the BBC Wild Week programme the last few nights. At least that is something - havent had the camera or binos in my hand since moving house. Dont do it people!|=@|

Hi folks,

I have just joined this forum and am finding it so interesting it's unbelievable. I have been interested in birds since I looked out of my classroom window when I was about twelve and saw two little goldcrests on the tree outside. That was nearly 40 years ago and they have been an absolute joy ever since. I introduced my husband to it and we both have loved birdwatching and always make sure we have the binoculars in the car.

We love feeding the birds and have a vast array in the winter. I had a little ever so tame male robin who stayed with us for four years. We found him as a youngster in the garden being attacked by another robin so we bought him mealworms to help provide him with food and that was that. He would eat from our hand and come into the kitchen if the door was open. He took a mate every year and nested in the garden bringing the babies to the back door to show them off when they were big enough and feed them with the mealworms.

I now have a little pied wagtail who is nearly as tame. He disappears to breed for a few months and comes back every Autumn and doesn't leave, again loving the mealworms.

For two years running we had a little snow bunting who visited us in October and stayed until the end March. I had never seen one before. I know you see flocks of them around Norfolk etc.but he was just on his own and fed happily along with the chaffinches and brambling and the two little yellow hammers we usually get, then returned the following October again to stay another 6 months but didn't return last year.

We have a nesting pair of sparrowhawks somewhere quite close and unfortunately there has been a number of kills and sightings. Just the other day we had the remains of a woodpigeon in the garden and a million feathers where it had been plucked. The sparrowhawk is a stunningly beautiful bird when you see it face to face glaring at you with those bright eyes and yellow legs but I have to admit I would rather it wasn't so close . I know it is nature but I worry about my little birds.

Any way apologies for rabbiting on so much - just wanted to say love the forum!!

Best Wishes
Sharon

Hi folks,

I have just joined this forum and am finding it so interesting it's unbelievable. I have been interested in birds since I looked out of my classroom window when I was about twelve and saw two little goldcrests on the tree outside. That was nearly 40 years ago and they have been an absolute joy ever since. I introduced my husband to it and we both have loved birdwatching and always make sure we have the binoculars in the car.

We love feeding the birds and have a vast array in the winter. I had a little ever so tame male robin who stayed with us for four years. We found him as a youngster in the garden being attacked by another robin so we bought him mealworms to help provide him with food and that was that. He would eat from our hand and come into the kitchen if the door was open. He took a mate every year and nested in the garden bringing the babies to the back door to show them off when they were big enough and feed them with the mealworms.

I now have a little pied wagtail who is nearly as tame. He disappears to breed for a few months and comes back every Autumn and doesn't leave, again loving the mealworms.

For two years running we had a little snow bunting who visited us in October and stayed until the end March. I had never seen one before. I know you see flocks of them around Norfolk etc.but he was just on his own and fed happily along with the chaffinches and brambling and the two little yellow hammers we usually get, then returned the following October again to stay another 6 months but didn't return last year.

We have a nesting pair of sparrowhawks somewhere quite close and unfortunately there has been a number of kills and sightings. Just the other day we had the remains of a woodpigeon in the garden and a million feathers where it had been plucked. The sparrowhawk is a stunningly beautiful bird when you see it face to face glaring at you with those bright eyes and yellow legs but I have to admit I would rather it wasn't so close . I know it is nature but I worry about my little birds.

Any way apologies for rabbiting on so much - just wanted to say love the forum!!

Best Wishes
Sharon

glad to hear your enjoying the forum Sharon,
keep up the good work, caring for the small birds

1 wood warbler STILL at Slieve Gullion ,co Armagh also managed to photograph a spotted flycatcher today

Attachments

• wood warbler.jpg
    wood warbler.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 50
  • spotted flycatcher.jpg
    spotted flycatcher.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 62
Does anyone know where the wood warbler is on Hawthorn Hill? I'm thinking of going for a listen. It's 20 years or more since I heard or saw one.

Mark
park your car in the main carpark(left side) at slieve gullion forest park beside the infomation board walk up the main path until you reach a smaller info board and take the right path continue up a steep hill (approx 450 yards)and listen for the call .the bird is normally 50-80 yards in the woods on your left side, wander of the path at this point and hopfully you will see the bird
hope this helps Ps the bird was still present today

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back