• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Kites (1 Viewer)

June Atkinson said:
:scribe:
Yes, sorry about that.

A batch of new kite chicks was to have been released this morning, and it was mentioned in the icNewcastle News this morning.
But the weather was too bad, and the release was cancelled.

So.....watch this space for news
:clap:
It was on the news this morning that 30 Kites were going to be released today, as long as the weather stays fine.

Red Kites

salty said:
any news on the release yet people?

Mentioned on the news earlier today Ritchie. Seems to have gone well but less than the 30 mentioned above me thinks. There are quite a few more to be released later in the year. I 'm sure June will be back with more info'. Fantastic that the project is going so well.

Skelly said:
It was on the news this morning that 30 Kites were going to be released today, as long as the weather stays fine.

Lunchtime local news had pics. of 'Salty' and 7 of his pals flying up into the wide blue yonder, well, into the trees beside the release point anyway.

Ray

Kite - new release

rayl said:
Lunchtime local news had pics. of 'Salty' and 7 of his pals flying up into the wide blue yonder, well, into the trees beside the release point anyway.

Ray
:news:
Yes, after having to cancel the earlier Release because of bad weather, this morning was absolutely perfect.
A group of volunteers, representatives of the Partners, the ITV Camera Crew, the RSPB Film Unit , the U3A Video Group all gathered at the release site in the Derwent Valley.
Together with one of the other volunteers, I had the privilege of opening the first pen so that the first three could fly to freedom.
First out was Phoenix, No 21, adopted by the children of Winlaton Primary as a replacement for their kite, Flash, which you may remember was poisoned last year.
We went back to the Office in Whickham, where four kites were to be wing-tagged and fitted with their radio transmitters. The RSPB film unit took a lot of footage of this painstaking procedure...I hope we shall see it in some future programme.

I have a very interesting piece of news regarding two of the chicks, whose photos were sent to birdforum by Helen.......... but you'll have to be patient.

As we have more than 30 chicks this year, there will be a series of releases throughout July, all being well.

Good news of Sparky - he is doing very well. :clap:

fantastic work June!!!

read on teletext that 20 ( i think )were released, with a further 21 to be released later? - never knew we could get our hands 41 kites from the chilterns this year. not that im complaining though.

well done helenol for feeding our little kites down there - they are from helen's garden are they not? - lol.

Quote June "I have a very interesting piece of news regarding two of the chicks, whose photos were sent to birdforum by Helen.......... but you'll have to be patient."

I think this is a conspiracy between H and JA, Even MORE being patient, having to wait, this may be ok for you female types but being patient is not a male trait. Instant gratification is what its about, (well maybe not too instant) been there, done that etc. We can quite quickly lose interest if you girls don’t keep us turned on!!

Ray

rayl said:
Instant gratification is what its about, (well maybe not too instant) been there, done that etc. We can quite quickly lose interest if you girls don’t keep us turned on!!
LOL!!! Turned on? I don't want to know!! ;)

Back to the thread, we just had to check up on a few facts first, that's all.

helenol said:
LOL!!! Turned on? I don't want to know!! ;)

Back to the thread, we just had to check up on a few facts first, that's all.

By your Kite pics of course!!

Ray

rayl said:
By your Kite pics of course!!

Ray

Sorry Ray,
You're going to have to wait a few days for my shots......I don't have a digital camera as yet, so I took my film in today, but it won't be ready, with a CD Rom, until Thursday!!

June Atkinson said:
Sorry Ray,
You're going to have to wait a few days for my shots......I don't have a digital camera as yet, so I took my film in today, but it won't be ready, with a CD Rom, until Thursday!!

I'm going to have to wate a month June, back to sea early hours monday
:-C :-C :-C

Stewart

Kites _ another release today

This morning 5 more kites were released in the lower Derwent Valley. They were all eager to fly out of the pens. We enjoyed watching them as they perched or flew gently around, picking up the thermals.
And here at last, are some pics.
Last Friday afternoon four of the chicks were "processed" - wing-tagged and fitted with the tiny transmitter. It takes about 45 mins to do each bird. The RSPB Film Unit was there and so you may see more of this in a future programme.
But the most interesting point is that one of Helen's Babies, No 34, was the star of the afternoon!! In the pics, you can see Keith Bowey, Project Leader, holding Baby 34 for us; in others you can see the work in progress.

So, Helen, here is a toast to your Babies - Nos 33 (in the wild already) and 34, looking great. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Attachments

• NK Office_prep table.jpg
    NK Office_prep table.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 271
  • transmitter_kiteb.jpg
    transmitter_kiteb.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Keith_baby 34_ wt.jpg
    Keith_baby 34_ wt.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 267
  • Keith_34 baby.jpg
    Keith_34 baby.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 313
  • Baby 34  with Keith.jpg
    Baby 34 with Keith.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 250
helenol said:
Marvellous. Isn't he a little cracker!

Take care of him for me ;)

fantastic pics june! - brilliant.

im sure the kites will be just as well recieved as the last batch Helen! - hope our little friends are not going to be missed too much from the chilterns.

PS: where is the 'salty' kite Ann............c'mon, get one named.

Last edited:
Jos Stratford said:
Would have to teach the little kitelet to say hello first!

ROFLMAO!

Not only that, but it would become a reclusive no-show, Bempton, Nightjar, Northeast Tern Bash lol. Only kidding Ricardo, and beside Jos started it;-)

Steve

salty said:
fantastic pics Ann! - brilliant.

im sure the kites will be just as well recieved as the last batch Helen! - hope our little friends are not going to be missed too much from the chilterns.

PS: where is the 'salty' kite Ann............c'mon, get one named.

Can't wait to see 'salty' on the operating table.

Ray

Family History 33 and 34

helenol said:
We've got enough of them to go around, and around, and around.....

Helen,
A Volunteer was asking about these two chicks of yours.
Could you please give us a little background?

If they are siblings, how many chicks were in the nest altogether?
Did you say that their nest is very near/on the perimeter of your garden?
You mentioned a photo of a parent, too.

Until we have the results of the blood test, for each of them, we don't yet know the sex of 33 and 34. Should come through any day.

New release No 21, Phoenix, which you recall was the replacement gift for the children who lost Flash in the poisoning incident, was seen by a local farmer yesterday morning at Hedley-on-the-Hill. This is quite a distance from the release site, so Phoenix must have fancied an outing on his own!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back