• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

Migrants !!

Lots of stuff being reported on Birdguides today. Firecrests by the truck load all over the region. Holy Island is a Warbler magnet - Radde's, Barred, Yellow Browed, Pallas's + Firecrests and Sibe Chiffchaffs.

Hope they stay 'til Sat as I'll never get tomorrow off work.

Lots of stuff being reported on Birdguides today. Firecrests by the truck load all over the region. Holy Island is a Warbler magnet - Radde's, Barred, Yellow Browed, Pallas's + Firecrests and Sibe Chiffchaffs.

Hope they stay 'til Sat as I'll never get tomorrow off work.
And Sunday Andy! we should be ok our care worker will be in attendence;) and keep us off the local mead.:-O

And Sunday Andy! we should be ok our care worker will be in attendence;) and keep us off the local mead.:-O

Never mind Sunday and Holy Island, Trow Quarry's the place to be.
Eastern Crowned Warbler there today - nice little lunchtime twitch for me as I work in Sunderland. Not sure if it will be there on Sat as the large crowd's pushing it into the heavier trees and if it's nice tonight it may be off at first light.

Cracking bird although this species wasn't even on my radar until a Google imaged it !

i may be at holy island tomorrow as well - having enjoyed the ecw yesterday i have to spend today catching up on the work i didn't do - anyone with a pager know if the raddes and pallas are still there/beal and if so where?

mike

Mike, we visited Holy Island yesterday after the ECW, had a great afternoon picking up Pallas's at Snook House and 2 Firecrest at the end of the straight lonnen. We missed the Barred Wblr which i understand has now moved to the Straight Lonnen today, no news on either Pallas's so presume they have moved on. We also saw Redstart, Ring Ouzel, Swallow a few Bramblings and 30 Fieldfare in off over the sea. The Raddes wasnt seen yesterday.

well, no luck with warblers generally but cracking views of goldcrest and firecrest next to the lough hide

mike
Yes we also had that today but little buggers would,nt pose for us well!:-O

Nice Sabines gull just off North shields fish quay:t:..pity about the light.

Attachments

• tn_Sab.jpg
    tn_Sab.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 100
ahhh - were the two chaps with massive lenses there at midday-ish part of your lot? if so hello! i was the chap in the blue hat

mike

Enjoyed a decent day on Holy Island yesterday,cold and dull early on, but got out warm and sunny by dinner time.
Couldnt believe the crowds that were there, considering it was a week day and late October.
A Long Tailed Duck showed really close near the tower on the causeway, with around 100 each of Grey Plover/ Brent Geese a bit further on.
A Slavonian Grebe was just off the harbour, and a Firecrest gave excellent views on the Crooked Lonnen. Thats more than could be said of a Barred Warbler which gave a ten second view on my second attempt- seen in the garden off the Crooked Lonnen.
2 Whooper Swans and a male Peregine was observed flying over the Straight Lonnen with a male Blackcap noted at the Lough.

Attachments

• Fire 013.jpg
    Fire 013.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Fire 032.jpg
    Fire 032.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Fire 042.jpg
    Fire 042.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 64
Two Short-Eared Owls hunting at East Chev this afternoon, but no sign of Black Redstart. No sign of Glossy Ibis at Druridge pools either.

Blyth

Went for a walk up the beach to the Harbour this pm, hoping for a Snow Bunting or something else that might get the heart racing a wee bit. Failed. A couple of very dark backed 'Herring' gulls (the darkest I have ever seen) were with BHGs near the south pier but a couple of half-wits (no, not me and the dog. She was at home!) put them up before I could have a better look. The legs were salmony-pink (on the gulls not the half-wits) from the distance I was at. Probably Herrings nonetheless. On the rocks at the north end of the small beach to the north of the south pier was a GBBG, Curlew, Oystercatcher and a Purple Sandpiper, which was nice.

Does anyone know why the Harbour is now akin to a prison? It would take Steve McQueen on his motorbike to get in. Are they now unloading gold bullion as opposed to fish!

Usual suspects in the Harbour itself, Eiders, Cormorants, BHG/HG/GBBG/CG, KIttiwakes and Pied Wagtails.

A dozen Sanderlings on the shoreline on the walk back.

Does anyone know why the Harbour is now akin to a prison? It would take Steve McQueen on his motorbike to get in. Are they now unloading gold bullion as opposed to fish!

That's just to stop wildlife lovers from getting their hands on that nugget of a fisherman, that was on the tele last week. He was shooting Seals with a bolt action rifle for taking his catch.

Green Winged Teal

Green Winged Teal showing at Holywell first from public hide then flew over to members hide. Photo below is dreadful but only had compact with me.

Attachments

• Green winged teal.jpg
    Green winged teal.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 102
finally connected with sabines gull today at 12.35. flew up and down river feeding from water surface, between fish quay and ice factory.
Seems oblivious of humans, twice flew within 4 ft of me.

DOesnt appear to hang about in anyone spot for more than 20 mins.

Seems to be easier to find before 10am, guess its not a morning type!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back