• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

10 Pink Feet in the field just opposite the Druridge Pools entrance at noon today. 10 Grey Partridge at Calico Barn. Lots of Curlews in road side fields en route from St. Mary's to Ellington.

The road from Cresswell to Druridge is now passable by Ford Fiesta, so bigger cars should have no problems.

Got my first garden Brambling today.

I've been a bit wary of trotting about on icy surfaces since I cracked a rib (in the house, not on the ice) last weekend. To shake off the cabin sickness I went out to get some shopping this morning, going out via Druridge & Cresswell. Not much cop, it must be said, although the road was OK.

On the way back I thought I'd give it another go (against my better judgement). At first I was right. Nothing much to be seen, but along Druridge links I happened to spot this little devil on a roadside post.

Of course my camera was switched off and had the lens cap on, but for once the bird sat there long enough for me to sort out the cock-up and I got a few shots before it went off towards the dunes.

Nice way to end the year.

Attachments

• Merlin (3) small copy.jpg
    Merlin (3) small copy.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Congratulations..........

............to Vipers on hitting the three ton - 300 on the British Life List is some going (can you hear my gritted teeth! :eek!:). Whilst you were notching up that milestone, I stood for two hours in the foggy, damp, chilly Croxdale looking for Hawfinch :C.

Our survey said............

Tomorrow, it's Cowpen Bewley for the R-n Duck, then Rainton for Arctic Redpoll, then Houghton Tip for Y-l Gull and then on NYE, Marazion for the Pacific Diver and Norfolk or Warwickshire for a Lesser White-fronted Goose.

I wish! :-O

Last edited:
Tomorrow, it's Cowpen Bewley for the R-n Duck, then Rainton for Arctic Redpoll, then Houghton Tip for Y-l Gull and then on NYE, Marazion for the Pacific Diver and Norfolk or Warwickshire for a Lesser White-fronted Goose.

Make sure you give 20 hours for the Arctic;)

It has taken me about 26 hours over about 6-7 days

One day of 2010 to go, let down by the Ring-necked Duck at Cowpen Bewley, score so far 236 v 231, well done Mr Vipers and this one's for you!

I didn't even know there was a Ring-Necked Duck at Cowpen Bewley. Aah good old Susie.

I've just worked out that I missed ten birds that I should really have got, including Hen Harrier, Hobby, Shore Lark, Red-Crested Pochard and Red-Breasted Flycatcher.

Still got time for the shore lark if there's any about ;)

Congrats on the 300 tho' - fabulous achievement :clap: :t:

Gordon - diven't give up yet hinny.....still got time for a late flurry tomorrow o:)

...I missed ten birds that I should really have got, including Hen Harrier, Hobby, Shore Lark, Red-Crested Pochard and Red-Breasted Flycatcher.

Seen 'em all (some closer than others :-O ).

My 'Big Dippers' (seen by others this year but not by moi) have been: Firecrest, Raven, Grey Phalarope, Water Pipit and Hooded Crow.

No sign of those(st marys) Snow buntings when I was there but there were loads of dog walkers about, also think I'm the only birder who hasn't seen waxwing this year but will settle for the Blackcap hanging around my garden bet it's not there in the morning.
Bit early but all the best for 2011 everyone.

Sharpness Point at Tynemouth today was fairly interesting with 2 dark Brent Geese, a Grey Wagtail, 2 Purple Sands, Rock Pippit, 99 Golden Plover and usual dozen or so Turnstone and Oystercatcher.
The 2 Songthrush that have been visiting my little backyard with a few shrubs haven,t been seen since the thaw - understandable, but a pleasure to have had them (dont think our resident Blackbird was too happy though).
All the best for the new year folks. B :)

Happy New Year Everyone xxx

Drew the short straw today and had to work 6-12 :C Had a lack of paperboys so from 9am onwards it was constant phone calls asking where their papers were, some of them quite nasty!!! :smoke: Locked the doors at noon and jumped in the car to spend a few hours at Boulmer and now feeling sooooo mellow and chilled out - who needs prozac? :-O
Highlights included a flock of c182 Brent Geese in the fields next to village and to the north of the village I watched a Red-necked Grebe for a good half hour just offshore :t: Fabulous!

Have heard Stag Rocks has some pretty good birds there at the moment if anyone fancies divers, grebes and sea ducks....oh, and porpoise too :t:

Nice start to the year with Long Tailed Duck thismorning flying North off Sharpness Point, Tynemouth. Went down again to look out for the whale, but got the hump and came back home.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back