• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (4 Viewers)

Tried Prestwick Carr again this afternoon in hope of the Shorties or other recent star performer - weather was a bit blustery to stay the least and didn't manage any of those species at all.

However bumped into a mate of mine who had just been to see the Turtle Dove at Big Waters - he said its really near the access road and you should manage a canny shot.

When i arrived i heard it had just flown to nearby gardens and i'd missed it by 10 mins - typical i thought.. Anyway i recognised a couple of lads so decided to hang around and have a bit of a natter anyway....

Fortunately i didn't have to wait too long for it to return and it spent a good hour flitting around the field and got within photographing range a couple of times :t:.

Picture attached..

Cracking shot Derek! I must have walked passed you this afternoon when I was out for a walk with my wife and daughter (without my camera). It's not a bad bird for my "on foot from home list".

Cracking shot Derek! I must have walked passed you this afternoon when I was out for a walk with my wife and daughter (without my camera). It's not a bad bird for my "on foot from home list".
Hi Gary - thanks, it turned out ok, better than i thought when i looked at it on the camera monitor.

There were quite a few people walked past while i was there so very likely you also passed me, shame we didn't have a natter.

One of the local guys came through the car park with his young lad as i was leaving, he asked what everyone was watching, so i explained what it was and showed him the photos on the camera. His little lad was a real star, said he had seen it in their garden for a few days and saw it eating worms out the grass, dead canny lad, a right little character, made me smile :-O:-O

Last edited:
Shorties @ Prestwick

At least 10 short-eared owls at Prestwick Carr at 6.30pm last night + the Hen Harrier had been seen a couple of hours earlier. Views weren't the best as it was very cloudy but they made a great site as most of them all took to air in some kind of display before dispersing to hunt.

Tynemouth Boating Lake this pm.

Your photography is improving with every shot. Nice one! Did it arrive with the vast flocks of waterfowl that over winter on Tynemouth boating lake?

I heard about the Lesser Scaup this afternoon and promptly stayed at Big Water photographing the Turtle Dove.

Not up to degsy's standard, but I'm quite pleased with these shots.

Attachments

• Turtle Dove, Big Waters 1.jpg
    Turtle Dove, Big Waters 1.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Turtle Dove, Big Waters 6.jpg
    Turtle Dove, Big Waters 6.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 93
Your photography is improving with every shot. Nice one!

COULD IT GET ANY WORSE! :-O

Did it arrive with the vast flocks of waterfowl that over winter on Tynemouth boating lake?

I ASSUME SO - THERE WERE, WELL, A DOZEN WILDFOWL AT LEAST!
:t:

I heard about the Lesser Scaup this afternoon and promptly stayed at Big Water photographing the Turtle Dove.

I INTEND TO GO BACK TOMORROW AND APPLY MY VIPER-ESQUE PHOTOGRAPHIC TALENTS TO IT! :eek!:

Not up to degsy's standard, but I'm quite pleased with these shots.

THEY'RE CRACKERS.

Onwards and upwards!

"I INTEND TO GO BACK TOMORROW AND APPLY MY VIPER-ESQUE PHOTOGRAPHIC TALENTS TO IT!"

Don't forget to take take a loaf of bread! :-O :gn:

I had a quick look at Marden Quarry and Tynemouth Haven today and I can safely say that I was more excited at seeing the bird in the second picture than the little brown Duck.

Attachments

• Lesser Scaup, Marden Quarry 1.jpg
    Lesser Scaup, Marden Quarry 1.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Parrot 1.jpg
    Parrot 1.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 160
I had a quick look at Marden Quarry and Tynemouth Haven today and I can safely say that I was more excited at seeing the bird in the second picture than the little brown Duck.

What's the parrot/macaw? Was it in Prior's Park? I have spent a few hours there of late and heard a parrot-like call but thought it was in the allotments!

Went dove-spotting today. Was greeted by some birders who had not seen the bird all afternoon, and had heard it was about this morning but were far from convincing. Nonetheless, when all had gone, I stayed and a plane went over. A flock of Woodies rose from the ploughed field to the west of the mast field and with them, the Turtle Dove, which landed in a tree between the two fields. It was then chased by a Magpie, and after 20 minutes, it came back to the mast field and rejoined the Collared Doves.

Last edited:
What's the parrot/macaw? Was it in Prior's Park? I have spent a few hours there of late and heard a parrot-like call but thought it was in the allotments!

Went dove-spotting today. Was greeted by some birders who had not seen the bird all afternoon, and had heard it was about this morning but were far from convincing. Nonetheless, when all had gone, I stayed and a plane went over. A flock of Woodies rose from the ploughed field to the west of the mast field and with them, the Turtle Dove, which landed in a tree between the two fields. It was then chased by a Magpie, and after 20 minutes, it came back to the mast field and rejoined the Collared Doves.

I'm no Parrot expert but I think it's an Amazon Parrot of some sort. It was up above the Southwest corner of the Haven car park.

Hopefully when the food starts getting down in the fields the Turtle Dove will start looking in the gardens for food. I get both Collared Dove and Wood Pigeon in my garden. So here's hoping!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back