• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (4 Viewers)

I suppose with a site like Prestwick Carr there is a fairly steady stream of birders visiting so the info services wouldn't consider it a problem to release news. Roosts in upland areas, however, are not publicised and are actively monitored.

cheers
martin

i first seen the male harrier there last week but for obvious reasons i didnt inform birdguides etc but did inform other birders who are involved with these birds and so i was quite surprised to see it posted on birdguides today. However, i was told that apparently it isnt as important to guard their locations whilst wintering, me personally thinks that a protected bird of prey is exactly that for all four seasons.

Rick

Not only birders, Martin. Part of it's a reserve and the rest is an MOD shooting range, hence the sentry box. I reckon unruly elements with 12 bores wouldn't get much leeway there.

Unfortunately the Carr is used by Bag fillers though not much this year,dreams of luring free Blagdon Pheasants doesnt seemed to have worked

I suppose with a site like Prestwick Carr there is a fairly steady stream of birders visiting so the info services wouldn't consider it a problem to release news. Roosts in upland areas, however, are not publicised and are actively monitored.

cheers
martin

Know what you mean martin but when i contacted birdguides regarding the summer bird at the same location they told me that due to the type of bird they would not put it up on the site, i told them my contacting them was for information only so that they could possibly inform other relevant parties. The only difference between then and now is season and as i mentioned earlier i do think that a protected bird is exactly that no matter what the time of year.

Regards
Rick

Prestwick Car(r)s

Know what you mean martin but when i contacted birdguides regarding the summer bird at the same location they told me that due to the type of bird they would not put it up on the site, i told them my contacting them was for information only so that they could possibly inform other relevant parties. The only difference between then and now is season and as i mentioned earlier i do think that a protected bird is exactly that no matter what the time of year.

Regards
Rick

Tried a midday. Not many places to park a car without obstructing the road or a farmer's gate. Some unfortunate parking by at least one other person meant in somewhat festive fashion, there was no room, and no stable to park in either, so I went home in a bit of a huff. Will try tomorrow, or soonest.

Arcot pond was very flat (in every sense of the word). If you don't like BHGs, CGs, Mute Swans, Moorhens or Coots - stay away!

SEOs at West Hartford this pm. I can feel a hat trick of Nil Points coming on!

WRONG - One SEO at 15.30 at the west end of the fields (at the rear of the farm with the green-roofed outbuildings).

Last edited:
Out for lunch today convieniently near to the Water Pipit. Lunch was delayed somewaht whilst I returned home to collect the scope so as to actually i d it as something other than LBJ! This give a good excuse for a visit to Prestwick Carr. The fields and hedges continue to be full of Fieldfare and fewer Redwing. Harrier showing well.

Prestwick (fewer) Carr(s)

Back again this morning. Two glimpses of the Harrier (reminded me of the endless hours watching the pair plus young 'Out West' earlier in the year!). Then off to Bolam Lake where the feeders were manic with Coal/Blue/Great Tits, Nuthatches, Blackbirds, Chaff and Green Finches, Dunnocks, Robins, MOORHENS and latest lifer, a Brambling.

Last edited:
Loads of Crossbill about at the moment in the forestry blocks around Otterburn, not long now until there are chicks about. Dippers singing like mad on the Coquet. Theres a pair of Raven hanging around one of last years Buzzard nests, do they ever take over old tree nests?

Rob

These jobs may be of interest to some of you.

Upland Research Assistant
Company: Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust
Salary: £14-17K
Sector: Conservation

We seek a research assistant with a strong interest in applied ornithology and / or general upland ecology and management. The post-holder will assist on a range of experiments including monitoring the effects of predator control on ground nesting birds and long-term studies of the effects of heather burning on upland vegetation, hydrology and avian biodiversity. The position is for an initial two years with the successful applicant being based at the Trust's office near Barnard Castle, County Durham, but spending considerable time in the field at in Northumberland.
For further details please email jhopkins 'at' gct.org.uk Deadline: Friday, 21 December 2007

Deadline: 21 December 2008

Seasonal Research Assistant
Company: Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust
Salary: £12,000 pro rata plus accommodati
Sector: Conservation

We seek two full time seasonal research assistants working from 31 March to 11 July 2008. The post-holders will join a small team monitoring the abundance and breeding success of moorland birds as part of a large scale experiment on the effects of fox and crow control on ground nesting birds. Other work includes mammal and vegetation surveys. Interviews will commence week beginning 07 January 2008.
Particular requirements are enthusiasm and a willingness to work long hours, basic ornithological and botanical skills. A clean driving licence is essential.
For further details please email jhopkins 'at' gct.org.uk Deadline: Friday, 21 December 2007

Deadline: 21 December 2008

Went up to Prestwick Carr this afternoon and got some fantastic views of the male hen harrier. this was a new bird for my list and I was already over the moon with the views I had in my scope when it flew directly over my head. Still absoloutley loads of fieldfares kicking about too.
Steve

No sign of any Hawfinch at Hulne Park today :smoke:

I was there between 8.45am to 9.50am and saw lots of Coal, Great & Blue Tits, Nuthatch, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, flock of eight Siskin, female Sparrowhawk being mobbed by Rooks.....but no sign of Hawfinch! :-C

Hulne Park is closed to the public today mind....just saving anyone a wasted journey ;)

Looks like it's a journey across the border to Croxdale in Durham then. Thanks for the update. I take it that the guy from the Lodge did not make an appearance and tell you if he's seen any?

Is the park closed often, does anyone know? I'm planning a visit up there soon.

As far as I know it's only shut to the general public when the rich hobnobs are shooting, which they were today :C
I'll ask at the Tourist Info tomorrow if they have a list of dates of when the Park is shut or call into the Estate Office.
I usually have an inkling of when there's shooting due as the Duke ups his newspaper order ;) Very bizarre as it's usually umpteen extra Telegraph,Guardian & Times - and one Sun :-O Perhaps Mr Percy only reads that to see how the plebs live!!! ;)

Prestwich Carr

It was jumping here today. Thousands of fieldfare and redwing about. Others included…

1 buzzard
2 sphawk
5+ kestrel
willow tit
bullfinch
snipe
fox

and the male hen harrier.

Great stuff

Attachments

• fieldfarewweb.jpeg
    fieldfarewweb.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 94
  • redwingweb.jpeg
    redwingweb.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 100
  • bullfinchweb.jpeg
    bullfinchweb.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 93
It was jumping here today. Thousands of fieldfare and redwing about. Others included…

1 buzzard
2 sphawk
5+ kestrel
willow tit
bullfinch
snipe
fox

and the male hen harrier.

Great stuff

I was up there again on Thursday, but didn't see the Harrier on that occasion but certainly the winter thrush numbers continue to build. As you say 1,000s. Quite an experience walking along the narrow road being surrounded by sights and sounds of them. Hedges and fields covered.

My missing of the Harrier that day was made up for by a brief sighting of 2 Redpoll, a bird that tends to allude me.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back