• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (3 Viewers)

Heavily cropped shots of the "Curlew Sand" at Lynemouth flash. Feeding behaviour of the bird strange also, only feeding really off the surface of the water, and non stop.
Forgot to mention the Minke whale was taken away yesterday via a truck and a JCB.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_4228.jpg
    tn_IMG_4228.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 94
  • tn_IMG_4235.jpg
    tn_IMG_4235.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 131
  • tn_IMG_4244.jpg
    tn_IMG_4244.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 96
certainly looks like a curlew sand in thos pics, hard to see the bill tho....looks more the right shape in the pics than i recalled.

probably a stilt sandpiperxcurlew sand :p

its a freak, just likeme!

Had skein of geese go over lidls(ashington) at 1030, possible pinkfeet, nice to see birds while having to do mundane things like go shopping!!

Spent a pleasant day on Holy Island on Thursday. Got distant pics of a female Peregrine and an Osprey sitting near the causeway. At least three thousand Brent Geese on the flats . A Wood Sand and 6 Ruff on the Rocket Pools. Plenty of Pied and Spotted Flys and Redstarts in the village.

Attachments

• holy 006.jpg
    holy 006.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 120
  • holy 009.jpg
    holy 009.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 2holydc 030.jpg
    2holydc 030.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 2holydc 028.jpg
    2holydc 028.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 95
female merlin performing well over the pond, hassling the waders.

No sign of YBwarbler, or anymore Hbuzz !

Barnowl was out hunting around 2.30-3

SAdly i had left before the bittern arrived!

Prestwick Carr

Peregrine,probably juvenile male ringing up on Lapwing and mixed wader flock got up to about thousand feed before breaking off and heading to airport

Budle Bay today

We went to the Bay about lunch-time, and most of the geese were well over on the farmland and the marshes. We went back later in the afternoon and could see them more clearly. There always seems to be a slight haze over Budle Bay, but here is a shot of the birds with Lindisfarne Castle in the background. A curlew was feeding near to where we were parked.

Attachments

• Budle-curlew-oct-08.jpg
    Budle-curlew-oct-08.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Budle-_curlew_web.jpg
    Budle-_curlew_web.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Budle_flock.jpg
    Budle_flock.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 99
Trip up north today
Highlights being
2-3 hundred Canada geese at QE2 park
50+ pinkies over Hauxley
Good numbers of Chiffchaffs in the trees at Druridge pools
Male scaup at Cresswell, several hundred Pinkies west of here and a few Barnacles with them.
Water level a tad high again at Cresswell.
few pics from today-

Attachments

• tn_IMG_5548.jpg
    tn_IMG_5548.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 59
  • tn_IMG_5590.jpg
    tn_IMG_5590.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 74
  • tn_IMG_5565.jpg
    tn_IMG_5565.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 62
  • tn_IMG_5544.jpg
    tn_IMG_5544.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 52
I was at Cresswell on Sunday and couldn't quite work out why the water level had risen again. The channel was dug out deeper than ever before but I can't believe it's silting back up already.

Anyway, while all the lads were chewing the fat in the car park and bemoaning the lack of birds, I popped into the hide and got a cracking Bittern fly past - right in front of the hide. ;-)

ALSO 2 x Black Tailed Godwit, Kingfisher, Scaup and a shed load of Pinkies.

Hi Andy. The high tides last week have built up a sand bar on the beach that is keeping the water in.

Eight Whooper Swans at Big Waters today.

Attachments

• Whooper Swan Big Waters 2 BF.jpg
    Whooper Swan Big Waters 2 BF.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Whooper Swan Big Waters 3 BF.jpg
    Whooper Swan Big Waters 3 BF.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 47
I was at Cresswell on Sunday and couldn't quite work out why the water level had risen again. The channel was dug out deeper than ever before but I can't believe it's silting back up already.

Anyway, while all the lads were chewing the fat in the car park and bemoaning the lack of birds, I popped into the hide and got a cracking Bittern fly past - right in front of the hide. ;-)

ALSO 2 x Black Tailed Godwit, Kingfisher, Scaup and a shed load of Pinkies.
Hi Andy what time did you get the Bittern? i was there about half one for while, also had the blackwits, did,nt realise the barnacles were there untill i edited the pic,s!:eek!:

Attachments

• tn_IMG_5592.jpg
    tn_IMG_5592.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 80
I was there about 10.30am to midday along with crowds of other birders. It was like a birding who's who of the NE with various long distance visitors thrown in. I thought something mega had turned up but it was just the lure of what had been seen over the last 2 weeks and the sunny weather I think. Not many actually went into the hide.
A

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back