• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

Birdguides have just reported this !!!!! No it's NOT April 1st yet so I'm assuming this is genuine. Even if it's from one of the Scottish introductions, it's very tickable as these populations are self-sustaining. Cracking bird for the county though.

I went for it this evening and dipped by 10 minutes or so.

Last seen (we think) flying off strongly North from Bellasis Bridge nr Blagdon.

Its blinged up with a ring and a tracking aerial on it's back - from the latest UK scheme perhaps?

I can't say I was too disappointed (was more bothered about my passenger really) having been the joint finder of a wild WTE over Simonside a few years back.

ps: I wonder where it went to roost?

The WTE may have been present since Sunday as an Eagle (sp) was reported to me on email Monday.
Superb county bird, only third in modern times, it was indeed wearing a radio tracking device (see pic). (more on blog)

WTE3192.jpg

The Irish and Fife birds also have wing tags. The four birds from Mull that have transmitters don't have wing tags, but can be tracked on Google Earth. Could easily be a German or Dutch bird though.

Just checked out the Mull birds and if the data is bang up to date it isn't one of the four being tracked.
However have also had an email suggesting they lost one last year so an email has gone off to Mull to see if they can ID it as one of theirs.

Last edited:
The WTE may have been present since Sunday as an Eagle (sp) was reported to me on email Monday.
Superb county bird, only third in modern times, it was indeed wearing a radio tracking device (see pic). (more on blog)

View attachment 250977

OK Alan, you've had your fill. Time for others to enjoy. Persuade it to come south now please... Derwent Res. would be very attractive and we could actually share the bird between Northumberland and Durham!
The last one to be seen in Durham was in 1915... Long, long overdue.

Waxwings in Heaton

There was a flock of 20+ waxwings this morning at around 9.30am on the embankment in St Albans Crescent by the pedestrian underpass on the South side of the Coast Road. They were in and around a crab apple tree which is still bearing red fruit. Some were feeding on the ground. Went back with camera half an hour later and couldn't see them but there is still lots of uneaten fruit.

Eagle dip

Birdguides have just reported this !!!!! No it's NOT April 1st yet so I'm assuming this is genuine. Even if it's from one of the Scottish introductions, it's very tickable as these populations are self-sustaining. Cracking bird for the county though.

31/03 16:47 NORTHUMBERLAND : White-tailed Eagle, Prestwick Carr [A]
bird wearing two rings perched in bush at NZ192737 late afternoon (16:40)

Typical. After posting this on the forum I hot footed it from Sunderland where I work to home in Gosforth to grab the scope then on to the Carr where I dipped it by 30 mins initially then thought Bellasis Bridge may be worth a shout.

Got there to find others had the same idea and I'd missed it by 5 mins as it dropped into a stand of pines to roost !! Boooo!

Never mind. I've seen them on Mull but 10 mins from your house at one of my favourite spots is another matter. I see it's just gone over Darras Hall so it may lurk round tomorrow.

Hello again, and apologies (again) for only checking in when I need and I.D.!

Yesterday I glimpsed a bird that flew off from my garden fence that I can not identify from my books; I only saw it fly off, but what I (think) I saw was vibrant orange bars to the tail and otherwise smokey grey. Any ideas??

Yesterday I glimpsed a bird that flew off from my garden fence that I can not identify from my books; I only saw it fly off, but what I (think) I saw was vibrant orange bars to the tail and otherwise smokey grey. Any ideas??

Black Redstart perhaps?

Attachments

• Black Redstart 1.jpg
    Black Redstart 1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 54
Perhaps. . . but I seem to remember that there were two distinct orange bars either side of the tail, really prominent like.

There has been an influx of Black Redstart at coastal sites in Northumberland over the last two days, this would appear to be the most likely canditate for your description. Photos of a male can be seen at

http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pict...ty=0&r=1&off=240205&loff=243138&album=598&v=0
and
http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pict...ty=0&r=1&off=240202&loff=243138&album=598&v=0

OK Alan, you've had your fill. Time for others to enjoy. Persuade it to come south now please... Derwent Res. would be very attractive and we could actually share the bird between Northumberland and Durham!
The last one to be seen in Durham was in 1915... Long, long overdue.

Can we arrange a swap for a Cetti's meet you 2/3 across the Tyne Bridge

Two male wheatear at Boulmer this morning and reports of 7 black redstart!!! No sign when I was there as the area was flooded with plebs....err tourists :smoke:

Common Crane still showing in field opposite Shaw, close to Eshott :t: This was at approx 1.30 this afternoon but it did keep disappearing from view behind hedge into possible dip in field?

Helppppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Potential Lifer 249 - Great White Egret - Warkworth Lane @ 6:30pm tonight. It's now an hour later and nearly dark. Early rise tomorrow - but how do I get the the main lake? The caravan park access road? Another road? On foot? Assist me, please. There's a poor record shot in it for you!

I had a walk along to Dunstanburgh Castle from Craster to day with the family. Three Wheatears on the way to the Castle, Kittiwake and Fulmar on the cliffs. The highlight of the day though was a group of about eighty Razorbill on th sea below the cliffs.

Attachments

• Razorbill, Dunstanburgh BF.jpg
    Razorbill, Dunstanburgh BF.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back