• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

I went back to Newbiggin this morning for another spell with the rock pipits. Lovely day, but the hard light made for some difficult exposures. Other close range attractions on the rotting seaweed were sanderlings (one colour-ringed, probably Iceland - I'm awaiting confirmation), turnstones, knot, redshanks and a purple sandpiper.

Nice views of a sparrowhawk on the way back along the beach, but when I tried to photograph it as it perched the camera wasn't playing the game. After the bird left I finally noticed that I'd knocked the lens into the manual focus setting. I'll bloody know next time.

Attachments

• Rock Pipit (64) copy.jpg
    Rock Pipit (64) copy.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 81
Hard to say. 4 at least. The flock was mobile and kept settling on the bank further back along the beach when they were disturbed by dog-walkers and such. I sat tight, still and quiet on the tank blocks and let them come to me, so the only time I saw them all together was the odd occasion when they were in flight. I'd say I saw 7 or 8 pipits in the air at once and some were in display flight mode, especially around the sandstone boulders at the point.

This one was a little cracker.

Attachments

• Rock Pipit (33) small copy.jpg
    Rock Pipit (33) small copy.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 126
Heading up to Cresswell/ Druidge tomorrow, Anyone know here the best place to view the Hooded Crow at Hemscott Hill if its still around?

Cheers

Heading up to Cresswell/ Druidge tomorrow, Anyone know here the best place to view the Hooded Crow at Hemscott Hill if its still around?

Cheers
The dead sheep it's been feeding on in the fields north of the pond is visible from the hide and it was also sitting on fence posts that were clearly visible from the hide.

The sheep is also visible from the road just south of Hemscott Hill farm, but the blind summit there can make stopping the car dangerous.

Cresswell Hide

Visit on Saturday:
Teal, wigeon, gadwall, dunlin, golden eye, shell duck, R.B merganser, curlew, common,black headed & herring gulls, 4 whooper & 2 mute swans, grey heron, oyster catchers, redshank, moorhen, coot, mallard, pheasant, cormorant, canada geese, about 300 pinkies, pied wagtail, reed bunting, little grebe and barn owl.
Also tree sparrow, house sparrow and dunnock along the approach path to the hide + distant stoat and hare.

Attachments

• _MG_5126.jpg
    _MG_5126.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 106
  • _MG_5301.jpg
    _MG_5301.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 78
  • _MG_5513.jpg
    _MG_5513.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 79
  • _MG_5534.jpg
    _MG_5534.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 76
  • _MG_5761.jpg
    _MG_5761.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 79
A few flight shots.

Attachments

• _MG_5090.jpg
    _MG_5090.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 103
  • _MG_5215.jpg
    _MG_5215.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 90
  • _MG_5444.jpg
    _MG_5444.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 81
  • _MG_5846.jpg
    _MG_5846.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 83
  • _MG_5875.jpg
    _MG_5875.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 62
Just home after a brilliant weekend on the Northumbrian coast. Started off with Purple Sandpiper at Boulmer and just got better. Thanks for the information everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back