• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

But if it's on BirdGuides then possibly somebody else has seen it so it might just be there :t:

I took this photo of it about 11.00am ish it later went and sat up on the far bank and i think it was reported again in the afternoon.

Forgot to mention the 2 Med Gulls,cracking birds in full summer plumage.

Attachments

• tn_009.JPG
    tn_009.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 168
I was at Cresswell early this morning, the american wigeon eventually put in an appearance around 11ish.

The 2 Med gulls seem to arrive just before 10am with a large flock of black-headed gull. Didnt take me long to pick them both out, cracking birds. I Put the report up on the board.

What The F*** Was That ?

Hi folks. Any help on sharpening up on calls/singing would be much appreciated.

I know getting out in the field is invaluable, but was wondering if there is a good way to listen to calls/song at home and more to the point have any mobile help.

I dont have a fancy iphone, so is it worth getting a cheap mp3 and downloading something to keep handy when I'm oot and aboot.

Cheers. Richard.

Hi folks. Any help on sharpening up on calls/singing would be much appreciated.

I know getting out in the field is invaluable, but was wondering if there is a good way to listen to calls/song at home and more to the point have any mobile help.

I dont have a fancy iphone, so is it worth getting a cheap mp3 and downloading something to keep handy when I'm oot and aboot.

Cheers. Richard.

http://www.bird-songs.com/

http://www.xeno-canto.org/

http://www.aviandiscography.webs.com/

Hi Richard I'm sure you'll find all you need in the above sites

Enjoy

Oddie From The Budge

Melanistic pheasant o/s the Budge at Druridge Pools today. And a possible Australian Shoveler/hybrid at Bothal Pond (no picture as too far away).

Attachments

• Green Pheasant.jpg
    Green Pheasant.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 95
There's a very attractive shore lark on the links just north of Druridge Plantation this afternoon.

Also a twite flock and three wheatears.

Attachments

• Shore Lark (3) bf copy.jpg
    Shore Lark (3) bf copy.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
First Willy Warbs of year here in the west along with a single Blackcap.

Several Wheatear at Grindon and a single Greenland White-fronted Goose mid morning. As we headed home a female Merlin disturbed from a dry stone wall near Crindledykes Lime Kiln gave superb views.

4 Sandwich Terns for a few hours this afternoon off Sharpness Point, Tynemouth. Great to see them again. Pair of Common Scoter 1/2 mile offshore and a few Meadow Pippits still around. Lots of Kittiwake on Penball Crag now. Will do a count at low tide tomorrow. (possibly 30+ pairs):t:

2 hours at Craster/Dunstanburgh

Had an enjoyable couple of hours walking from Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle and back this afternoon.

Greeted in the car park with my first swallow of the summer which was a good start. On the grassy pasture by the shore I also had my first wheatear of the year (four or five very smart looking males) as well as loads of meadow pipit, a couple of rock pipit and curlew. Offshore the only ducks in evidence were eider but cormorant, shag and gannet all flew by and four or five grey seals were bobbing about keeping an eye on things.

At the castle lots of Kittiwakes in residence on the cliffs along with a few dozen razorbill and a handful of fulmar and more shags. Three porpoises passed by close off the point before disappearing north.

Attachments

• bfIMGP3572.jpg
    bfIMGP3572.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 67
  • bfIMGP3586.jpg
    bfIMGP3586.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 59
  • bfIMGP3595.jpg
    bfIMGP3595.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 82
  • bfIMGP3611.jpg
    bfIMGP3611.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 62
Blyth down to St Mary's Island

This morning two firsts for 2011 for me : Pied flycatcher in hawthorn bushes by A1061 west of Newsham. My first housemartin of the year at Seaton Sluice.

At St Mary's Island fairly quiet except circa 20 housemartins in the fields by the wetlands, 4 curlew, turnstone, oystercatcher, plenty of eider in North bay, 2 gadwall on Wetlands pond along with a couple of tufties and a single mute swan.

Down on the seafront at Tynemouth again today. There were 4 wheatear, 6 meadow pippits, 2 sandmartin and usual couple of rock pippits and pied wags on Sharpness. A Sandwich tern about for a while just offshore.
Yesterdays check at low tide of Penbal Crag revealed over 100 pairs of Kittiwakes !! Glad to see they're all nice and safe, way up a hight on sheer cliffs. Castle/Priory grounds above are manned by security 24hrs too.
Still a pair of common scoter, usually with, or near the raft of eider off King Edwards Bay.
Quick walk round Plessey woods yesterday. Fabulous wild flowers. A buzzard and close encounter with a female roe deer, which stopped and posed for a photo. Brilliant.

Few hours after work chilling out at Druridge Bay :t:

Cresswell had three yellow wagtail, a couple of pieds and what I think may have been a white wagtail. Also two avocet still present and preening/feeding :t:

Druridge Bay was full of people :smoke: Including a mobile van selling hot food - is this allowed on a nature reserve?
Lots of chiffchaff singing and the famous melanistic pheasant in front of the Budge Hide. Quite a few sand martin too and, from the Oddie Hide, there was a single great crested grebe :t:

I got to the Budge screen this morning to look for the garganey that had been spotted, but before I'd even started a message came through about a subalpine warbler at Chare Ends on Holy Island. I reckoned the ducks would keep and twitched off to Holy Island to look for a new county tick.

We arrived at Chare Ends about 2 minutes after the bird had flown off and after an hour searching every bush in the area I gave up and went home.

This afternoon's plan was to go to the pub to watch the football, but just before I went out I checked Birdguides again. The subalpine was back and showing well. I flipped a mental coin, chose "bird" and hit the road again.

I think I made the right choice. The bird was showing well, but maddeningly it was usually in the back of the bush that it kept visiting between flying away to other parts. I heard the last half hour of the match on the radio on the way home. A poor game and a poor result.

Good bird though.

Attachments

• Subalpine (16) copy.jpg
    Subalpine (16) copy.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Subalpine Warbler lift request.

Anybody wanting some help with petrol costs going to (try and) see the subalpine warbler on Lindisfarne tomorrow ? I'm looking for a lift up there. Could probably get to Silverlink if Tynemouth is a bit awkward. Understand if you want to wait for confirmation that its still there in the morning. Not familiar with pm system but Im sure I'll work it out if you want to get in touch that way. Cheers, Richard.:t:

Before I'd even started a message came through about a subalpine warbler at Chare Ends on Holy Island.
:-O Just typical, my mate and i were on Holy Island this morning from approx 10.30 - saw a few birders and photographers about but didn't put 2&2 together :-C..... Ahhh well lets hope those planning a visit over the next few days are lucky :t:

GG shrike showing well in dunes just north of the car park opposite cresswell causeway. Getting harassed quite a bit by the smaller stuff. Also avocet, yellow wagtail at causeway & pintail at the pools.
Good day so far!
Regards
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back