• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (6 Viewers)

White-winged Tern showing VERY well on North Pool at East Chevington this morning :t: Flying continuously on far side of pool between two islands but very easy to pick up - STUNNING bird!!! Last one I saw here was in July 2003 so this was well worth the wait :king: We left at around 12.30pm and it was still showing well then and showing no sign of moving on :t:

Also had my first House Martin of the year - 35 DAYS later than last year when I had them on 5th April!!! :eek!: Was beginning to think they were giving Northumberland a miss this year :smoke:

White-winged Tern showing VERY well on North Pool at East Chevington this morning :t: Flying continuously on far side of pool between two islands but very easy to pick up - STUNNING bird!!! Last one I saw here was in July 2003 so this was well worth the wait :king: We left at around 12.30pm and it was still showing well then and showing no sign of moving on :t:

Also had my first House Martin of the year - 35 DAYS later than last year when I had them on 5th April!!! :eek!: Was beginning to think they were giving Northumberland a miss this year :smoke:

Hi Gill,

I was not sure if it was you in the hide at East Chevington today. I was the young lad (19) who was sitting in far right hand corner moaning about Hen Harrier persecution. Pleasure to meet you.:t:

wwbt still there at 5ish, also female marsh harrier showing well.

Tern landed on the wooden thingys right for few mins before going back to feeding....wish i`d had a camera!

MEt the infamous mr biggs )

Beacon Hill Woods

Super/Andy - sunny, breezy and dry this evening. Lots heard. Seen? GSW, Marsh/Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Wood Pigeon and two Spotted Flycatchers (half way between the first and second lay-by, south side of the road, high in the trees).

Hi Gill,

I was not sure if it was you in the hide at East Chevington today. I was the young lad (19) who was sitting in far right hand corner moaning about Hen Harrier persecution. Pleasure to meet you.:t:

Hi Andrew - yes that was me...with my long-suffering hubby-cum-chauffeur Neil ;) :-O He was on nightshift last night and just couldn't get comfortable and sleep this morning so decided to come out with me ;) As you can tell he is NOT a birder, bless him :-O He enjoys being out and about and seeing birds, beasties & flora etc but is not bothered about knowing what things are :eek!: Don't know how many times I've called him a philistine over the past 13 years :smoke: :-O

Great to meet you and your friends :t:

On the map here, is the flash where the Crane etc is the small blue 'smudge' to the left and below the caravan to the left of the words 'Beadnell Harbour'?

Hi Liverbirder

The crane is a bit further south than that, more towards the Long Nanny.

There are 2 options.

For crane only, distant scope views from the coast road between Beadnell village and the Swinhoe "stop hammertime" turning.

To see the flood well (and temminck's, wood sand etc), park at Beadnell beach car park and follow the path south west through the large caravan park and right out the other side. The flash is then in the first field on your right as you exit the caravan park, but it is hidden in a dip so you have to walk along a little way until it magically appears out of nowhere !

The walk from the car park to the flood takes about 10 minutes and this week the caravan site cover has held, whinchat, lesserthroat and grasshopper warbler.

The crane was still there this morning at 7am on my way to work (from the road).

Good luck if you go. :t:

Better Than Butter?

Cresswell today, some local bloke told me he'd seen a White Stork land on the spit at 14:30 and he seemed clear that's what it was. It left south as his attention was diverted to the north and if it had gone north he would have seen it. :eek!:

One over Long Nanny this morning so he might be right! :t:

Last edited:
Super/Andy - sunny, breezy and dry this evening. Lots heard. Seen? GSW, Marsh/Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Wood Pigeon and two Spotted Flycatchers (half way between the first and second lay-by, south side of the road, high in the trees).

Thanks for directions. Heard Pied Flycatcher a couple of times but couldn't see any, just guessing but it was quite windy up there and thought that might have had a negative influence on their feeding habits? Got the silver medal though, with a pair of beautiful redstarts. I'll be back.

Cheers for putting me onto a good spot. :t:

Richard.

Something's got me puzzled. I've been out along the seafront at Tynemouth early everymorning recently and for the last 3 or 4 days I've noticed quite alot of swallows, maybe a couple of dozen each day, heading South ! Today there were also 18 Common Terns also moving South, feeding very briefly at The Haven before crossing the Tyne. Could these bird have 'overshot' their breeding territories with the Southerlies we've been getting ?.... Anyone ?

....Good luck if you go. :t:

Work got in the way, so a long-ish drive for a hurried 'glimpse' was not possible nor worthwhile. And BirdGuides this morning has it flying north. :C

If it had been a Lifer, I would have been a bit more miffed, but on the unhappy-ometer, I am registering a 3 (Somewhat Frustrated)! :-O

Work got in the way, so a long-ish drive for a hurried 'glimpse' was not possible nor worthwhile. And BirdGuides this morning has it flying north. :C

If it had been a Lifer, I would have been a bit more miffed, but on the unhappy-ometer, I am registering a 3 (Somewhat Frustrated)! :-O

Was sat checking my e-mails this morning when I heard it calling (all a bit strange !). I looked up to see it was circling over the house. It circled quite low and drifted northwards.

Just returned to the US after spending 2 weeks visiting my family in Alnwick area. Although birds were not our main purpose, we had a great time and managed to identify 78 species during our stay - mainly at Hauxley Beadnell, Howick Hall and a trip out to the Farnes. This list has been a great resource identifying what is around and where to look. I hope to use it more for future visits. Thanks for being such a great resource.
We were at the RSPB hut viewing the Arctic Terns when the word came in about the Crane! We dipped, but I am glad to see that it hung around and a number got to see it!

Fishing at Fontburn yesterday, how chuffed was I to have an Osprey flying around at low level for about 10 mins |:d|
First one I have seen in the UK.
Warden thinks it may have been one of last years Keilder young scoping out it's own territory.
Poking about on here though someone mentioned a pair in Rothbury.......

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back