• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (8 Viewers)

Typical :-O

Two years ago (or was it three - have to check my records) I had 2/3 cuckoo at Chevington and Druridge Pools - couldn't get moved for the things! ;) - yet since then haven't had a one!!! :smoke:

Not that i'm getting obsessive about cuckoos......much! :smoke: :-O

Just checked my records and the year the cuckoos were as common as cuddy ducks was 2007 :eek!: May 28th to be exact!!! :eek!: FOUR YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek!:

You know you're getting old when the years just meld into one......:-C

Just checked my records and the year the cuckoos were as common as cuddy ducks was 2007 :eek!: May 28th to be exact!!! :eek!: FOUR YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek!:

You know you're getting old when the years just meld into one......:-C

2 cuckoos at Ladycross tonight and 2 nightjars by 22.10hrs

Need some help guys: still having problems tracking down cuckoos :smoke:Had a couple of hours up Beacon Hill and surrounding area today but no joy cuckoo-wise :-C

Hi Gill, i was at Beacon Hill on Saturday about 11.45 and heard a Cuckoo by the T Junction - didn't see it but it must have been close as the call was quite loud. Also had Spotted Flycatcher down the road by the layby - no Redstarts though...

Like I said, I only saw them briefly in a storm on Monday (my first day back from a trip) while I dipped into the hide for ten seconds with my bins and they were asleep then. No necks or heads were on display. Someone told me this morning that the other birds had been immature, so I took his word on it.

If two of the four were indeed adults, then maybe these aren't new birds.

This photograph shows three of the four, two with black primaries which is the feature I believe determines a juvenile, so the 2 + 2 suggestion might be right.

Looking more closely at the photos I took with the second bird present it appears that the second bird that flew in while we were there has a paler bill and a shortage of bare skin on the face, which suggests a younger bird, so please take everything I said in post 7035 as bollocks.

I blame a brain that still feels like fudge following a late flight on Sunday night.

If only I'd edited this shot last night instead of the other one for my reply I might have kept out of the hole.

Attachments

• IMG_0164-copy.jpg
    IMG_0164-copy.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 85
I found this article on surfbirds that gives more info : Ageing Spoonbills

I'm pretty certain that at least one of the birds I first saw on Sunday had black legs which according to that article indicates 4cy+. I saw 3 of the four in flight on Monday and certainly two of them had black wingtips but I'm not sure about the third - will have to check my shots.

<Update>
Having checked my photos I did actually see all four in flight at one stage or another and two of the birds had no white on the wingtips and two did

Last edited:
Two great white egrets at Castle Island this morning. I saw them from the north bank at around 10am but by the time I'd got round to the south side I couldn't relocate them.

Attachments

• IMGP6917.jpg
    IMGP6917.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 97
dayout in northumberland

went for the great white egrets this afternoon, managed to photograph the birds from the south bank, a terek sandpiper at hauxley came on pager and managed to get that aswell. Was in a bit of a hurry to get back so didnt take camera into tern hide, just aswell as the bird was showing in front off the wader hide! two cracking species of bird B :)
cheers
steve :t:

Attachments

Rings

Finally caught up with the Three Amigos at The Pools this afternoon.

One of the Spoonbills had rings.

Left above the 'knee' - tangeriney/orange band over a yellowy/green band.
Right above the 'knee' - two tangeriney orange bands over an orangey/red one.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

I believe I overhead someone in the hide at Hauxley yesterday say something about it being Dutch, though I wasn't paying too much attention he could easily have called someone Butch or taken a moment to reminisce about the character played by David Soul in the seventies TV cop show Starsky &... so don't take my word for it.

Best shot I managed of the Tereks Sand. and this was after another very kind photographer here lent me his" big lens" to try for this shot!...We had left the wader hide at Hauxley before this, pleased with good scope views we had of the bird. Another photographer came running out of the hide after we left(for the first time) to inform us the bird was showing even better!. Great welcome as always up north.:t:

Attachments

• IMG_7873 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7873 (Medium).JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 156
Very "interesting" trip out to the Farnes today. Never experienced wind like it. It was so windy on Inner Farne I couldn't keep still enough with the camera!!

Any ideas?

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=327377&d=1306487822

Same as the Saltholme bird (pictured above). Details have been sent off and will be posted on the Durham thread when we get some inforation back.

Anybody up north planning to look in on the Terek tomorrow (Tuesday) early doors?
I have a window of opportunity, but can't afford it on no news petrol wise.
Cheers
Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back