• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

Little Gull

On the Northumberland Coast today then Cragside and back late. There was a Little Gull on the far side of the larger pool 'behind' Dunstanburgh Castle at 1.30 today.
It was quite distant (bins, no scope) but clearly displayed full black hood and classic dark underwings. Not sure how frequent they are on this coast in early June.
Chris

On the Northumberland Coast today then Cragside and back late. There was a Little Gull on the far side of the larger pool 'behind' Dunstanburgh Castle at 1.30 today.
It was quite distant (bins, no scope) but clearly displayed full black hood and classic dark underwings. Not sure how frequent they are on this coast in early June.
Chris
Half a dozen on Cresswell Pond yesterday. There have been a few around the past week or so, some of them showing pink breasts.

Regatta Day at East Chev?

Maybe not.

I called in on the way back from the white-throated robin this afternoon to be greeted by the sight of this happy band on the north pool.

Attachments

• IMG_0630-copy.jpg
    IMG_0630-copy.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0634-copy.jpg
    IMG_0634-copy.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 128
Was off on hols last week, didnt get all i wanted, but am happy with these for the week:

1, long tailed skua, 2, white throated robin, 3, cirl bunting, 4, ruddy shelduck.

Still no bittern, nice fly by of a hobby.

Seems quiet up here??

SAw the 2 ruddy shelduck at chew today. Unclear if they were hybrids or not. SOme pics for discussion would be good. One bird seemed to have a slightly droopy right wing(damaged?). The other had quite a brown head, but not unlike some pics on iris.

They appeared to be nervous about approaching humans. They kept their distance from the folk throwing bread at the ducks, feeding on the otherside near the reeds.

http://www.birdguides.com/media/larg...0/00180496.jpg one of the birds had similar face pattern to this bird.

(posted on somerset thread by me)

One bird wasnt a hybrid IMO. The other did look a bit dodgy. I met the bloke who rang them in as hybrids and he didnt really know more than me. HE was waffling on about all ruddy shelducks having pale heads, which is bollocks. A quick trawl through iris will show otherwise.
Sadly due to the horrendous weatehr in sw on the sunday, none got out to take pics of them, i did contact BG to say i thought the hybrid assumption was wrong, but they said they werent able to confirm either way.
Its a shame no pics have emerged. ANyway its staying a tick, ive been birding for long enough to make up my own mind on a bird and not what someone tells me to think!

[edit broken link? chk out the pic of the bird `Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk 13/03/11` Iris]

Last edited:
...One bird wasnt a hybrid IMO. The other did look a bit dodgy. .... ANyway its staying a tick, ive been birding for long enough to make up my own mind on a bird and not what someone tells me to think! ...

The 'other bloke' who's opinion didn't agree with yours wasn't Keith Vinicombe was it..?!

Check out the CVL website, where it says the birds there currently are hybrids, with a photo of one of them.
http://www.cvlbirding.co.uk/logbook/2011june.html

There is also a brief explanation of why they are hybrids.
"Ruddy Shelduck-type hybrid. As well as having a darker head than a pure Ruddy Shelduck, this one has a greenish 'American Wigeon' line back from the eye. Both birds also have pale grey/flesh legs and feet, and extensive white in the greater primary coverts, as well as black feathering on the upperwing panel."

Mark

Last edited:
(posted on somerset thread by me)

One bird wasnt a hybrid IMO. The other did look a bit dodgy. I met the bloke who rang them in as hybrids and he didnt really know more than me. HE was waffling on about all ruddy shelducks having pale heads, which is bollocks. A quick trawl through iris will show otherwise.
Sadly due to the horrendous weatehr in sw on the sunday, none got out to take pics of them, i did contact BG to say i thought the hybrid assumption was wrong, but they said they werent able to confirm either way.
Its a shame no pics have emerged. ANyway its staying a tick, ive been birding for long enough to make up my own mind on a bird and not what someone tells me to think!

[edit broken link? chk out the pic of the bird `Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk 13/03/11` Iris]

You ever thought of joining BBRC ? ;)

Billy Shiel M.B.E.

I'm sure everyone reading this thread will be saddened to hear that Billy passed away early this morning. A legend of our local tourism industry and a sad loss.

martin

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back