• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

Sat for 15 minutes watching and listening to a sedge warbler at Prestwick Carr (half way to the golf course from the crossroads) on Saturday morning. In that time, it gave impressions of blackbird, blue tit, martin, and chaffinch! Love it!

Red Kite sightings in Northumberland

We have had reports of a red kite three miles south of Alnwick last week. It flew east/west across the A1 and landed in a tree. No tags were evident.

We have also had a report of two separate sightings of a red kite near Tarset.

Whilst this is good news, we ask for your help in reporting others which may be attempting to move away from the core area in Gateshead's Derwent Valley.

DEFRA's proposal about the research into Buzzards, suggesting a Cull is very worrying, not only to those of us supporting the kites, but for those who have tried so hard to bring back the Hen Harrier. Sign the petition, please!! For relevant info go to http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=231037

www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

Last edited:
Reports of a sedge warbler doing the same at East Chev today ;)

http://ntbcsightings.posterous.com/

Yes, I just read that too! The blackbird mimicry was amazing, and was actually what got my attention, as it was a small bush with seemingly no bird in it from which was emanating a clear blackbird song followed by blackbird pic-pic call... and a blackbird would certainly have been visible!

And just found this recording of that very same observation on Xeno-canto: http://www.xeno-canto.org/102276

Nice recording - the goldfinch is uncanny!

Last edited:
Still somehow missing kingfisher off my 2012 sightings, so had a wander down along the Wansbeck today from Goose Hill to East Mill. Didn't get the target but plenty of mallards, several with ducklings, and a few grey wagtails. But the highlights were from the wooden plank bridge at East Mill, where in just 10 minutes I had several goldcrest and 2 nuthatch, among the multitude of tits and finches.

(And, on the original targets: I used to see a kingfisher on the Wansbeck near the allotments east of Morpeth town centre quite frequently, but not seen it at all this year. Anyone seen one in the area recently?)

Should have put this on about two months ago when I got home. Just to say many thanks to all the local birders who helped us out on Sat Feb 11th on our jaunt round the North East. We were especially grateful to the birders who put us on to the jack snipe at Cresswell and also the posse who helped us with Slav grebe, and White fronts at East Chevington. We got 72 total for the day including 3 female smew at the country park and the two Bewicks at Maidenhall Lake. We also got the twite/linnet flock in the dunes north of Cresswell. We missed SEO but whilst at Cramlington fire station in the gathering gloom we saw and heard two grey partridge. We thought that the feeding station behind the centre at Druridge Bay Country Park was a bit of a letdown compared to other years. The feeders seemed empty and there seemed to be less of them. There were fewer birds about as well. Any thoughts appreciated, even though I am well past my sell by date for this comment.

Derek, I think i may have bumped into that day, I remember talking to 2 lads with Irish accents when we were stood next to the hide at East Chevington,you might remember my girlfriend complaining about the cold (as usual):-O

It was certainly a canny day to be in that area with plenty of decent birds about,the 3 Smew were the highlight for me though i didnt catch up with the Jack Snipe.

I too had a look at the feeding area at Duridge and was a little dissapointed as I'd seen lots there the same time last year including a good number of Brambling.

try walking between high house woods and mitford....regular there wheni was erm young )

Funnily enough (well, not funny at all, really...) I had a dramtic puncture on my bike coming hurtling down St Leonard's Lane into Mitford a couple of weeks back and nearly ended up in the Wansbeck... so a long walk back to Stobhill, but it gave me the chance for a more leisurely walk along the river back in to Morpeth along ideal kingfisher territory... and not a thing (except a bloke fly-fishing)

Farnes Rustic Bunting

I fancy going for this Rustic Bunting but
it's been some years since I was on the Farnes , landings seem to be limited to 1 hour is there any boat service that allows longer or is that the NT ruling ?
Brian

Derek, I think i may have bumped into that day, I remember talking to 2 lads with Irish accents when we were stood next to the hide at East Chevington,you might remember my girlfriend complaining about the cold (as usual):-O

It was certainly a canny day to be in that area with plenty of decent birds about,the 3 Smew were the highlight for me though i didnt catch up with the Jack Snipe.

I too had a look at the feeding area at Duridge and was a little dissapointed as I'd seen lots there the same time last year including a good number of Brambling.

Yes that was us and I do remember your poor cold girlfriend. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully your birding is a little warmer recently than it was then. Will be over your way in early July but am depending on the in-laws for lifts so may not get much birding in. Nevertheless there is always a chance of something different over there like GSW, partridge or nuthatch which we do not get here. They can always be persuaded to go for a walk/drive and I can often steer them to good birding areas which are nice to walk in like Plessey Wood, Bolam Lake or Wallington Hall. A few years ago I managed the pelican at Cresswell on such a trip!!

Yes that was us and I do remember your poor cold girlfriend. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully your birding is a little warmer recently than it was then. Will be over your way in early July but am depending on the in-laws for lifts so may not get much birding in. Nevertheless there is always a chance of something different over there like GSW, partridge or nuthatch which we do not get here. They can always be persuaded to go for a walk/drive and I can often steer them to good birding areas which are nice to walk in like Plessey Wood, Bolam Lake or Wallington Hall. A few years ago I managed the pelican at Cresswell on such a trip!!

I thought that must have been you and yes it has warmed up a little recently, hope you have a good trip when you come back, might bump into you again sometime.

Cheers Adam.

I fancy going for this Rustic Bunting but
it's been some years since I was on the Farnes , landings seem to be limited to 1 hour is there any boat service that allows longer or is that the NT ruling ?
Brian

Hi Brian

Try asking Andrew at Serenity boat tours, he'll know if the bird is still there this morning and last week he left my mate on there for 2-3 hours to photograph the birds. He is really into his birds and always keen to help, he took us over last night to see it.

http://farneislandstours.co.uk/farneislands.html

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=thefarnes

Rustic Bunting Update

Hi all

The Rustic Bunting is still on Inner Farne but it is not viewable from public areas, so not really do-able on a standard boat trip.

Andrew at Serenity Boats is running a 6pm trip again which will let you have access to the area where the bunting is (after the island has closed for the day and the wardens are freed up to help people to access this area). Price will be £10 per person.

The boat will run assuming the bunting is still there this pm, I've asked for a 4pm update on this from Andrew and will put news out when we have it.

Andrew can be contacted on directly 07984 668093.

Rustic Bunting access

Hi all
Birdguides posted this earlier about the Bunting which suggests that some local arrangements have been agreed for Bunting viewings.....

11:04 01/06/12 Rustic Bunting Northumbs Farne Islands
male still showing well late morning; there are special arrangements with rangers to see the bird throughout the day. Boats sail on the hour every hour from midday

Hi all
Birdguides posted this earlier about the Bunting which suggests that some local arrangements have been agreed for Bunting viewings.....

11:04 01/06/12 Rustic Bunting Northumbs Farne Islands
male still showing well late morning; there are special arrangements with rangers to see the bird throughout the day. Boats sail on the hour every hour from midday

Yep, the wardens have sorted out some daytime access to the area, just got back and its showing well again.:t:

The 6pm rustic boat is still running for anyone interested, this is the latest boat today ?? It goes direct and doesn't involve a 3 hour tour of the islands !

Attachments

• rustic bunt cropped.jpg
    rustic bunt cropped.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Farnes Rustic Bunting

Birdguides reporting that the Rustic flew off high & west towards the mainland at 18.15 hours. Hoping it would stay until Sunday - long shot I know!

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back