• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

I am currently updating my bird records and trying to tie down my first ever Spotted Crake, which I saw on a family holiday in Northumberland when I was around 15 (which would put around 1988). I have a memory of seeing it from a hide on a pool close to the sea which we had to walk down a hill to get to; can anyone suggest the location (and potentially the date)?

Many Thanks
Phil

Low Newton by the Sea - Newton Pool 1989 ?

Isn't upper Teesdale a sound place to see them. Gill?

It is very easy to see them in Upper Teesdale without leaving the warmth and comfort of your car. The famous Langdon Beck site held 40+ males this spring and you can watch them lekking from the road, whilst a drive around surrounding roads (eg at Harwood) can bring views down to under 20m. One of the best birding experiences there is in Northern England, at its best in early spring (but Black Grouse don't move very far, so they're in the general area year round).

Mark

Spent the morning on the moors south of Rothbury. Excellent views of Red Grouse, feeding and washing in the dusty ground where new heather borders the burnt crop. Over a pine plantation, a group of raptors were 'kettling'. Common Buzzard, kestrel and an all too brief view of 2 Goshawk.
Newton on sea again this afternoon. Wood Sandpiper on the flash along with similar species to earlier in the week with the addition of 3 knot.
A quick seawatch produced a Sooty Shearwater south, Skua sp north and 3 Whimbrel north. Really could and should have kept at it longer!
Cheers,
Jim.

had brief look at sea from area beside newbiggin golf club. Lots gannets. small numbers of terns. Nothing else(

strong south easterly, and now wet.....might drop some stuff along the coast?

Last day of the holiday. Already talk of a return trip!
Worked Druridge Bay. Began at Cresswell Pond. little Stint the highlight here amongst many Dunlin. Spotted Redshank too. Offshore, dark Arctic Skua and possible pomarine. Looked barrel chested, but too distant to confirm this species in hindsight. 2 Wheatear were in the dunes.
Not too much on Druridge pools, but some nice Southern Hawkers and a brief view of a Fritillary, presumably dark green.
East Chevington held a Spoonbill, and a Marsh Harrier flew over the road on route.
Hauxley is a nice reserve, despite the lack of visitor centre. Hopefully something more permanent can be bought in once again. Here we had Whimbrel, 2 Common Sandpiper and 2 Green Sandpiper. Good views of Wall Brown by the carpark.
Thanks to those who offered help and advice, in particular Gill. I didn't see the birds you spoke of, just too late, but I know where to look next time!
Cheers,
Jim.

Glad we've tempted you back :t:

You've seen some lovely birds....makes me want to not bother going in to work today *no change there then!* ;) :-O

Cracking day today in Druridge Bay area, started at Hauxley, up to 6 Common Sandpiper, 3 Greenshank, 3 Snipe and a Green Sandpiper as well as Turnstone, Knot, Ringed Plover, Oystercatcher and Redshank as well as a Tree Sparrow and a Coal Tit on the feeders at the car park.

Then down to Cresswell. Cuckoo showing well on a telegraph wire then from the hide a single Spoonbill busy feeding, adult Curlew Sandpiper with remnants of summer plumage, 3 Knot in summer plumage, 2 Ringed Plover, Avocet, 15 Ruff, 3 Black Tailed Godwit, 3 Snipe and the long staying Long Tailed Duck.

Hi all, was wondering whether it would be possible to get directions and or grid ref for Warkworth Gut.
I spend from around 2pm until 4pm trying to find the place after the buff brested sandpiper news came out but could really find anything online about it and after trudging around Amble harbour and such for 2 hours I gave up.

Mike take the first right immediately after the bridge as you leave the village of Warkworth. Follow the road for c.750m until it bends right and turn right again into small car park. Path runs down the hill and away south to take you along the tidal section of the area most local birders know as Warkworth Gut.
I spent two hours along with Tim & Janet Dean late afternoon searching without finding anything. Not really typical BBS habitat and high tide may have moved it on.

Brill stuff thanks very much for the directions. Will know for next time. Like you said tho the habitat there didn't really strike me as optimum bbs habitat, therefore guessing it.dropped in and tide pushed it off.

Mike

I was at Cresswell last night from 7.15pm till 8.30pm and saw all the above apart from the Curlew Sandpiper (it could have been on the other side where the sun was too bright to make stuff out...apart from the spoonbill!). The cuckoo was on telegraph wires being mobbd by swallows and a barn owl flew over my head and then went on to hunt in the dunes.
The spit in front of the hide and reeds to the right were jumping with yellow wagtails - I counted over 40!!!!!! :eek!: Never seen so many in one spot! Lots of young ones in there. Where have they all come from? Migrating south?

Good to see the pond full of life once more :t:

Last edited:
Saw my first Wheatear of the 'autumn' this morning at Sharpness Point, Tynemouth. Some excellent views of Spotted Flycatcher and Goldcrest this afternoon near Linhope Spout.

Richard.

Druridge Bay Cuckoo

A couple of photos from the Cuckoo which was posing at Druridge Bay yesterday. Typical of young Cuckoos it was very approachable as it filled up on caterpillars prior to leaving for Africa.

http://colsdigiscope.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• cuckoo1.jpg
    cuckoo1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Cuckoo11.jpg
    Cuckoo11.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 94
FABULOUS pics there Colin :t:

Funny to think I was having trouble seeing cuckoos just six weeks or so ago yet now they're showing well :-O Same with yellow wagtails :king:

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back