• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

Re Harthope Valley

All possible, perhaps except Pied Fly (someone might have a site for that, though)

The only one you are likely to see from the valley floor is Spotted Fly. You'll need to gain height to see the others.

MT

Thank you both for the info

If your prepared to cycle up past Langleeford Farm and continue for about 1 mile there were certainly a pair of Spotted Flycatcher, Common Sandpiper and Whinchat in that area not far from the burn and road. Red Grouse also. Tree Pipit is also often seen in this area as is Green Woodpecker.

Looks like I might need to swap to my all terrain tyres, then! Out of interest, how far past Langleeford is it possible get? I'm no mountain biker, so would not be looking to ride off-track, but can cope with stony tracks and paths.

Anyway, Whinchat, Red Grouse, Spotted Fly and Tree Pipit would do me just fine!

Thank you both for the info

Looks like I might need to swap to my all terrain tyres, then! Out of interest, how far past Langleeford is it possible get? I'm no mountain biker, so would not be looking to ride off-track, but can cope with stony tracks and paths.

Anyway, Whinchat, Red Grouse, Spotted Fly and Tree Pipit would do me just fine!

The road is quite good but, I don't really know how far it goes. You leave the wooded area and enter a more open area fairly quickly. I believe you can get up onto Cheviot by this route but I'm guessing you won't want to be going up there.:) It's a fantastic area and usually very quiet. Weather looks to be good for the weekend so enjoy. Be interesting to find out what you spot.

I have a completely free weekend this weekend with no work and with family away, so I was wondering about heading up into Harthope Valley.

Is this a good time of year to see some of our upland species? Will ring ouzel be possible or likely at the moment, and any chance of red grouse? I also believe it's a good place for whinchat and flycatcher species...?

My plan is to head up there on my bike from the coast, so I won't be able to head too far off the track... is it naive to think I might see any of the above species without heading off the beaten track along hiking routes?

As others have said August isn't the best time to be heading up there, without wishing to be negative you'll struggle for Ring Ouzel imo. I was guiding in that area a month ago and we saw Whinchat, Spotted Fly, Red Grouse, 2 adult and 3 juv Ring Ouzels (the juveniles were fully fledged though still 'attached' to the adults, they are likely to be independent by now) the Ring Ouzels took a great deal (2 hours) of patient scanning of the hillsides up one of the burns. Lots of Lesser Redpolls.
You are likely to get Whinchat and Spotted Fly still, possibly juvenile Cuckoo may still be around and Red Grouse is likely too though tough without a scope.

Long-tailed Skua the pick at St Mary's this evening. Also 39 Whimbrel south, 8 Manx Shearwaters, 3 Arctic Skuas and an adult Mediterranean Gull.

Take a flask and sandwiches, have a picnic in the car park near the Hawsen Burn :t: Red Grouse and Whinchat both possible on the lower slopes of the hillside opposite the car park as you face away from the river. A couple of months ago Ring Ouzel were fairly straightforward from there too as they were regularly flying from the Hawsen Burn across the valley towards Threestoneburn, but they'll be less than easy now...

The cattle grid mentioned by Brian is an excellent spot for both Spotted Flycatcher and Tree Pipit, and further along towards Langleefordhope is good for Redstart, particularly as the path climbs and you find yourself with the treetops only just above head height.

Wouldn't like to guess at your potential success rate in August...

cheers
martin

I have a completely free weekend this weekend with no work and with family away, so I was wondering about heading up into Harthope Valley.

Is this a good time of year to see some of our upland species? Will ring ouzel be possible or likely at the moment, and any chance of red grouse? I also believe it's a good place for whinchat and flycatcher species...?

My plan is to head up there on my bike from the coast, so I won't be able to head too far off the track... is it naive to think I might see any of the above species without heading off the beaten track along hiking routes?

Thanks Alan, Martin.

Appreciate all the pointers.... let's see what there is!

My plan is for an early morning start at Stag Rocks then head up to Wooler by way of Budle Bay and then up Harthope valley. So should get a decent range of birdlife, with any luck (and whinchat and tree pipit would be lifers....)

A very tough haul up from Bamburgh on my bike to Harthope Valley yesterday.... but well worth it. A strong headwind all the way up from the coast made for difficult cycling conditions, and far-from-ideal birding conditions. But, nevertheless, one target species seen (and one heard!) and a few other surprises too.

Parked up in the dunes car park at Bamburgh, but didn't manage to get down to Stag Rock as hoped (having to repair a puncture before I set off put me behind schedule!). However, a quick scan of the sea only revealed a small group of eider just offshore. But the dunes were full of birdlife, with plenty of goldfinch and linnet, and a single whitethroat singing away, and briefly a grasshopper warbler reeling from the undergrowth (but not seen).

Over to Budle Bay, with the tide well out, and plenty of birds on the mud-flats. The biggest surprise was the presence of a spoonbill huddled in with a flock of gulls (great black-backed, herring and lesser black-backed). But there were also a few whimbrel, a pair of black-tailed godwit, curlew, oystercatcher and redshank among the waders. Some smaller waders too, but too far away for me to be able to identify! Also present were a large number of shelduck spread across the mud, and a group of mute swans including a couple of large cygnets. A pair of linnet and a pied wagtail foraged from a tree stump at the far end of the bay.

Linnet were the most frequently encountered bird seen en route to Wooler, with perhaps 25-30 seen along the road over from Belford to Wooler, with several yellowhammer too. Also, a flock of around 100 common gull on Belford Moor, and a family group of goldcrest seen at the narrow bridge over the River Till (Hetton House?).

Finally, to Harthope Valley. First birds seen were, again, several linnet feeding near the National Park sign, with a large group of swallows flying in and out of the stables nearby (at the top of the most ridiculously steep hill to try to cycle up!). Down into the valley, over the bridge, my first red-legged partridge of the day - an adult and 6 or 7 chicks with yet more linnet and yellowhammer, and a grey heron in the fields. A slow ride up the valley from there then added one of the day's target birds - a small bird perched on the fence ahead of me flew into the gorse and ferns before I could identify it, but I lay down in the grass for while, and eventually out came a pair of whinchat. Woohoo! I had good views for 10-15 minutes before a passing Northumberland National Park van scared them off, not to return. Shortly before the cattle grid, I had my first redpoll of the day, 4 birds chirping and trilling above me before landing on bushes next to the road (and I must say, what truly stunning birds they are in summer plumage). Also, chaffinch and woodpigeon on the small wooded island. As the valley opened out, a large number of sand martin zinged about above the river and in and out of their nest holes in the river banks. Further up the valley, a jay and a sparrowhawk flew over, and the distant calls of red grouse could be heard (but none seen), and just past Langleeford farm, 2 adult and 2 juvenile pied wagtail were flycatching, and lots more redpoll were twittering above the trees.

Finally gave up about half a mile after Langleeford as the track got too steep and stony, and wind was getting stronger and stronger, so headed back down the valley. Had a short wander up Hawsen Burn, but the ferns were too dense to get too far (and I was too knackered to be honest), but flushed a grey partridge and another jay flew over, but that was it.

One final sighting has me puzzled, however. Near to the wooded island not far up the valley, a very large pale blue and black dragonfly flew over, hovering above the river for a few seconds. The only species I can find in my insect guide that bares any resemblance is the emperor dragonfly, but my guide says it is a southern species and it's found only by still water, so in habitat terms it's all wrong. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• rlp.jpg
    rlp.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 73
  • whinchat1.jpg
    whinchat1.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Budle.jpg
    Budle.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Harthope.jpg
    Harthope.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 60
A very tough haul up from Bamburgh on my bike to Harthope Valley yesterday.... but well worth it. A strong headwind all the way up from the coast made for difficult cycling conditions, and far-from-ideal birding conditions. But, nevertheless, one target species seen (and one heard!) and a few other surprises too.

Parked up in the dunes car park at Bamburgh, but didn't manage to get down to Stag Rock as hoped (having to repair a puncture before I set off put me behind schedule!). However, a quick scan of the sea only revealed a small group of eider just offshore. But the dunes were full of birdlife, with plenty of goldfinch and linnet, and a single whitethroat singing away, and briefly a grasshopper warbler reeling from the undergrowth (but not seen).

Over to Budle Bay, with the tide well out, and plenty of birds on the mud-flats. The biggest surprise was the presence of a spoonbill huddled in with a flock of gulls (great black-backed, herring and lesser black-backed). But there were also a few whimbrel, a pair of black-tailed godwit, curlew, oystercatcher and redshank among the waders. Some smaller waders too, but too far away for me to be able to identify! Also present were a large number of shelduck spread across the mud, and a group of mute swans including a couple of large cygnets. A pair of linnet and a pied wagtail foraged from a tree stump at the far end of the bay.

Linnet were the most frequently encountered bird seen en route to Wooler, with perhaps 25-30 seen along the road over from Belford to Wooler, with several yellowhammer too. Also, a flock of around 100 common gull on Belford Moor, and a family group of goldcrest seen at the narrow bridge over the River Till (Hetton House?).

Finally, to Harthope Valley. First birds seen were, again, several linnet feeding near the National Park sign, with a large group of swallows flying in and out of the stables nearby (at the top of the most ridiculously steep hill to try to cycle up!). Down into the valley, over the bridge, my first red-legged partridge of the day - an adult and 6 or 7 chicks with yet more linnet and yellowhammer, and a grey heron in the fields. A slow ride up the valley from there then added one of the day's target birds - a small bird perched on the fence ahead of me flew into the gorse and ferns before I could identify it, but I lay down in the grass for while, and eventually out came a pair of whinchat. Woohoo! I had good views for 10-15 minutes before a passing Northumberland National Park van scared them off, not to return. Shortly before the cattle grid, I had my first redpoll of the day, 4 birds chirping and trilling above me before landing on bushes next to the road (and I must say, what truly stunning birds they are in summer plumage). Also, chaffinch and woodpigeon on the small wooded island. As the valley opened out, a large number of sand martin zinged about above the river and in and out of their nest holes in the river banks. Further up the valley, a jay and a sparrowhawk flew over, and the distant calls of red grouse could be heard (but none seen), and just past Langleeford farm, 2 adult and 2 juvenile pied wagtail were flycatching, and lots more redpoll were twittering above the trees.

Finally gave up about half a mile after Langleeford as the track got too steep and stony, and wind was getting stronger and stronger, so headed back down the valley. Had a short wander up Hawsen Burn, but the ferns were too dense to get too far (and I was too knackered to be honest), but flushed a grey partridge and another jay flew over, but that was it.

One final sighting has me puzzled, however. Near to the wooded island not far up the valley, a very large pale blue and black dragonfly flew over, hovering above the river for a few seconds. The only species I can find in my insect guide that bares any resemblance is the emperor dragonfly, but my guide says it is a southern species and it's found only by still water, so in habitat terms it's all wrong. Any suggestions?

All Hawkers wander far from water especially males. Emperor can be found all over the North East. But going by your location I'd guess at Male Common Hawker.

All Hawkers wander far from water especially males. Emperor can be found all over the North East. But going by your location I'd guess at Male Common Hawker.

Hmm... Common Hawker could be it, but it appeared much more blue-with-some-black rather than black-with-some-blue. Another of those unsolved ones, then, I guess...

Can anyone elaborate on the Spotted Crake for me. I was planning on coming down tomorrow to have a look for it but its gone all quiet these past few days. Is there nobody looking for it or have the water levels risen, keeping it hidden in the reeds.

Any help or advice would be grateful

Dennis

Hi Big Den:
I was at East Chev today for around 5 hours today, despite the appaling weather, and spent most of my time hiding in hides (aptly named). No sign of the Spotted Crake where it had been seen (just head down the road you come in on until you see the hide on your left (500m ish), though could have so easily been around and not quite in that area or in that area but just 1m back. But in the time I was there, lots of stuff around and moving through

Highlights: 4 Little Gulls (2 adult, 2 juv) sat on pool whole time, c.40 Ringed Plover, 1 summer plumage Golden Plover, c.250 Lapwing, 2 Knot, 1 Greenshank, 6 Whimbrel, 4+ Ruff, 10+ Snipe, Arctic Tern (amongst Commons) and the usual waterfowl etc.

Can anyone elaborate on the Spotted Crake for me. I was planning on coming down tomorrow to have a look for it but its gone all quiet these past few days. Is there nobody looking for it or have the water levels risen, keeping it hidden in the reeds.

Any help or advice would be grateful

Dennis

Hi

It wasn't seen on Sunday as far as I am aware. Last seen Saturday evening at about 7.30pm.

Hi

It wasn't seen on Sunday as far as I am aware. Last seen Saturday evening at about 7.30pm.

Yes as far as I am aware, that was the last report of the bird.

But what I am trying to find out if the water levels have risen. I believe it will still be there but if the muddy edges have gone due to the rain fall, its going to stay hidden in the reed.

Might just give it a try tomorrow anyway and hope for the best. Thanks for your help lads :t:

Yes as far as I am aware, that was the last report of the bird.

But what I am trying to find out if the water levels have risen. I believe it will still be there but if the muddy edges have gone due to the rain fall, its going to stay hidden in the reed.

Might just give it a try tomorrow anyway and hope for the best. Thanks for your help lads :t:

Heavy rain all day in the area would of no doubt caused the water levels to of risen, the bird wasnt seen all day sunday and there was no rain then. Give it a go if you want? But if you have a good journey ahead of you it might be best to hang on to see if its reported again, the area is well checked so if its there it will be reported again. Good luck either way.
Cheers
Steve

Heavy rain all day in the area would of no doubt caused the water levels to of risen, the bird wasnt seen all day sunday and there was no rain then. Give it a go if you want? But if you have a good journey ahead of you it might be best to hang on to see if its reported again, the area is well checked so if its there it will be reported again. Good luck either way.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for that Steve.

Cheers
Steve

There was no difference in the level of water from Saturday evening to Sunday morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back